fbpx

Finished painting (New paintings at the end, April 3)

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Finished painting (New paintings at the end, April 3)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Adaneth
    Participant

Nice work! 12th seems pretty good…if not as good as you hoped! Best of luck with any other competitions! 🙂

bayoudragon
      Participant

Wow, Jennifer. That’s done in acrylics?? When I saw it, I immediately thought oils with all the subtle detail. 😮 Do you do an underpainting first? Mostly layering? Blending? You have my mind reeling… don’t feel like you have to reveal any secrets, but I am BEYOND curious. 😳

That so looks like an oil painting…

Maria
        Participant

I saw this painting on DA this morning. It’s beautiful. I just wonder how the judges determine how good a painting is? I mean, do you know why you were “only” given 12th place?

Bodine
          Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Here’s my entry for Colorado’s state level stamp. I ranked 12th. I tried really hard for this one.. ah well, next year is another year! 13″ x 18″ acrylic.
            The Judges need glasses. 🙄

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Jasmine
            Participant

Gorgeous, Nam!!

beautiful!!

Jennifer
              Keymaster

bayoudragon wrote:

Wow, Jennifer. That’s done in acrylics?? When I saw it, I immediately thought oils with all the subtle detail. 😮 Do you do an underpainting first? Mostly layering? Blending? You have my mind reeling… don’t feel like you have to reveal any secrets, but I am BEYOND curious. 😳

I’m so glad it looks like oils. I prefer oils but cannot use them due to health problems. They make water soluble oils but they are NOT the same and do not carry nearly the pigment load! The closest thing I have found are Chroma Interactive acrylics. Their pigment load is very good and I can re-open them to work wet in wet.

I work in a variety of techniques. I have only been doing ‘serious’ acrylic paintings for a few months now so I am very much experimenting. This piece has a lot of glazing, however my next one (which I cannot show till it’s judged) has no glazing at all. I’m very much still learning. I have some crappy WIP shots though if you want to see.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

frozendragon
                Participant

Jennifer wrote:

bayoudragon wrote:

I’m so glad it looks like oils. I prefer oils but cannot use them due to health problems. They make water soluble oils but they are NOT the same and do not carry nearly the pigment load! The closest thing I have found are Chroma Interactive acrylics. Their pigment load is very good and I can re-open them to work wet in wet.

I work in a variety of techniques. I have only been doing ‘serious’ acrylic paintings for a few months now so I am very much experimenting. This piece has a lot of glazing, however my next one (which I cannot show till it’s judged) has no glazing at all. I’m very much still learning. I have some crappy WIP shots though if you want to see.

I love the water soluble oils that I have.. they have amazing colors and work really well.. thing is with mine.. I sometimes add a tiny bit of acrylic.. to them if I want a different intensity.. LOL

and I have to agree with everyone on this picture.. I is really good and in my opinion perfect for a stamp.. so the judges must have been drinking or something..

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I saw this painting on DA this morning. It’s beautiful. I just wonder how the judges determine how good a painting is? I mean, do you know why you were “only” given 12th place?

No. At least, not yet. Judging for these are usually in rounds. There are 5 judges on a board; one or two are biologists or ornithologists. Usually at least one artist, etc.
                    It typically goes like this. Judges are allowed to look at all the pieces freely. Then the judging begins. Each piece is brought individually before the panel of judges. Each judge must then vote “IN’ or ‘OUT’. This seems to be totally up to the individual judge. In order to pass round one, you must get a majority vote “IN”… therefore you must have at least three “IN” votes to make it to the next round.

Some competitions, at the end of round one, allow each judge to pick a piece for a ‘call back’. This is a piece that did not get three “IN”s but the judge is allowed to call it back for round two. Again this is all very subjective to the individual judge.

Round two then changes. Each Judge is given a score card, 1-5 (or 1-10, depending on that state’s rules. for simplicity sake we will assume 1-5).
                    Each of the artworks that made it past round one are then, individually, brought before the judges. The judges then give it a numerical score. The top from round two make it to round three, where they are again scored numerically to decide the final rankings of 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

bayoudragon
                    Participant

Jennifer wrote:

No such thing as a crappy WIP. I would LOVE to see them. I used to use oils too, but I now live in a tiny 2 bedroom condo with NO ventilation — oils are not an option for me either. As for the water soluable oils, my mother-in-law is an art teacher and gave me some to try. She loves them, I hate ’em. I gave them back. 😈

I did one small painting with fluid acrylics (the trillium in my siggie), and I REALLY enjoyed them. If I can stop the PYOs for a while, I would really love to give them a serious go.

PurpleTurtle
                      Participant

Wow, Nam! What beautiful work. I have to agree with BD, the painting looks like it’s done in oils.

Jennifer
                        Keymaster

Here’s my ‘latest’. It is a drake Bufflehead duck painted in arylics, 9″ x 12″.
                          It was painted for the Delaware waterfowl stamp competition. I regret to say that it didn’t even make the first round of judging, so it didn’t place. Will need to try harder next year!
                          Special thanks to my friend Damian, who very kindly photographed and gave me a photo of this duck for me to work from. He was my hero since I cannot get bufflehead photos of my own where I live. Thank you Damian!

Damian’s photos are here. They are incredible! http://www.flickr.com/photos/ddavalos

Jasmine
                          Participant

Didn’t make the first round?? No way!! That painting is awesome. I love the tiny beads of water on his feathers.

lamortefille
                            Participant

😮 That’s beautiful. I’m sorry it didn’t make the first round. 🙁

that is incredible. what’s wrong with those judges?! not even placing?? must be a tough crowd. but i think it is AWESOME! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 109 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.