fbpx

Emerald Peacock Curls

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Emerald Peacock Curls

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Starbreeze
    Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Dragon Master wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

Yup! I told ya! We get lots of holidays. Friday we had off, too.

Yes the government takes as many days as they can figure into the year and we pay for them

Well why dont you come do my job with my pay and then complain about how many days you have off. Or deploy away from your family for a year and put a price tag on that. And FYI, I pay taxes, too, so really, I pay my own salary. At least part of it.

Ski, my hat is off to you. Anyone who is in the military deserves the utmost consideration and respect from the rest of us.

Skigod377
      Participant

Thank you Star. Im not looking for kudos or anything, I just worked for 13 years to get where I am and we (The military) have to put up with alot of stupid and or dangerous crap all the time. I dont think we should be begrudged a few extra holidays. True, lots of folks in the military are a waste of pay, but we didnt hire them… blame the government for their ridiculous recruiting goals. Its ok… when the war is over, we will reject… just like every other time in history.

Starbreeze
        Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Thank you Star. Im not looking for kudos or anything, I just worked for 13 years to get where I am and we (The military) have to put up with alot of stupid and or dangerous crap all the time. I dont think we should be begrudged a few extra holidays. True, lots of folks in the military are a waste of pay, but we didnt hire them… blame the government for their ridiculous recruiting goals. Its ok… when the war is over, we will reject… just like every other time in history.

Enjoy your holidays and any other things that others might perseeve as perks…you are deserving of them and a lot more. 😀

Bob

we have all sorts of lazy ones here to. There are about 4 groups that meet in the break room 2 or 3 times a day to play cards for an housr or more at a time. I complained to my 3rd level mamager and he got rid of some of our night premium pay shifts which was how I lost my shift, he also goes in there and palys with them sometimes. I have heard they are going to get rid of more in February and with almost 7 years I’m still 4th from the bottom on seniority so I’m most likely going to lose it again.

I agree with Star that you are a wonderful person to be doing what you are doing over there Ski

Skigod377
            Participant

Here we have folks that will show up at 0900, take a smoke brek till 0930. Go to the PC meeting from 0930-1000, then go smoke till 1030. Go to lunch from 1130-1300, then come back and smoke till 1330… you get the idea. What kills me is that these guys get the same paycheck as their counterparts who work hard. Thats a bad thing about the rank system. You are not promoted on your work expierience, so how hard you work plays little factor in promotions.

Starbreeze
              Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Here we have folks that will show up at 0900, take a smoke brek till 0930. Go to the PC meeting from 0930-1000, then go smoke till 1030. Go to lunch from 1130-1300, then come back and smoke till 1330… you get the idea. What kills me is that these guys get the same paycheck as their counterparts who work hard. Thats a bad thing about the rank system. You are not promoted on your work expierience, so how hard you work plays little factor in promotions.

LOL…It’s pretty much the same way where I work too!!! The incompetent ones always keep getting promoted.

skigod377 wrote:

How do they decide who gets promoted and when?

Starbreeze
                Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Uh-huh. Except that he was a Communist, self-proclaimed Marxist, he plagiarized most of his writings and his followers trashed every city where he preached. I’d be careful about giving him a lot of glory.

GB, I’m wondering if you might be thinking of Malcom X, instead of Martin Luther King Jr. They are both from the same time, but were two entirely different men. Malcom X fits your description.

Skigod377
                  Participant

mimitrek wrote:

How do they decide who gets promoted and when?

You go to a board, which is a panel of 1sg’s )Usually 4) and a sergeant major (Head enlisted honcho of the whole battalion) and they ask you questons on regulations and such. Whoever can memorize a study guide best gets promoted. Doesnt matter if you are a dirtbag or not. You do have to shoot ok and score pretty well on your PT test, but its a point system set up with supply and demand. If there is a high demand for higher rank in your job group, the points are lowered. If you make enough points from the board and pt/weapons, you get promoted.

Wow…that sounds like a strange system. It really doesn’t give people an incentive to do their jobs well.

Bob

I work in a union shop so it’s all about seniority and nothing to do about merit. Everything goes to the person with top seniority and that person in my dept has jsut completed 42 years. I have 7 in March and I’m 4th from the bottom of the list, so you can imagine what I get!!!
                      I do not fit in with the card players either.

SPark
                      Participant

*chuckles* It’s all about reputation in my world. Whoever has the biggest reputation gets the most business. Of course it’s hard to get a big reputation if you don’t make good stuff, but those at the top of the heap aren’t really that much more skilled then I, they’ve just been around longer, done more conventions, etc.

Jodi
                        Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Uh-huh. Except that he was a Communist, self-proclaimed Marxist, he plagiarized most of his writings and his followers trashed every city where he preached. I’d be careful about giving him a lot of glory.

I just don’t think you’re talking about the same Martin Luther King Jr. that we celebrate here. He was all about human rights. He was a minister who preached equality through peaceful protest. If his followers did any such thing, they were not listening, and it’s news to me (I teach some of his writings in my college composition class). He gave a speech about having a dream that all people will be judged not on the color of their skin, but on the content of their character. Your description doesn’t sound like the MLK that I praise.

As far as Malcolm X is concerned, he was a Muslim who followed the teachings of the Nation of Islam in the US. He was more of an extremist, but never claimed to be a communist. And he followed Marcus Garvey, not Marx. He believed in raising up the black man through whatever means, and lowering the white man (man here is to represent men and women, although women had their own civil rights fights at the time too). He was more about violence, but he actually made a lot of advances in the Civil Rights movement as well, although some of his facts were off quite a bit, and he tended to recite diatribe he was taught without crediting the teacher or the writer — so he plagiarized.

Edit: Sorry if it sounds like I’m getting up on a soapbox about this. I’m not trying to. I just know a little bit about these two people, so I thought I’d share.

Maria
                          Participant

starbreeze wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

Dragon Master wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

Yup! I told ya! We get lots of holidays. Friday we had off, too.

Yes the government takes as many days as they can figure into the year and we pay for them

Well why dont you come do my job with my pay and then complain about how many days you have off. Or deploy away from your family for a year and put a price tag on that. And FYI, I pay taxes, too, so really, I pay my own salary. At least part of it.

Ski, my hat is off to you. Anyone who is in the military deserves the utmost consideration and respect from the rest of us.

Ditto! You deserve the days set aside for you.

Maria
                            Participant

emerald212 wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I just don’t think you’re talking about the same Martin Luther King Jr. that we celebrate here. He was all about human rights. He was a minister who preached equality through peaceful protest. If his followers did any such thing, they were not listening, and it’s news to me (I teach some of his writings in my college composition class). He gave a speech about having a dream that all people will be judged not on the color of their skin, but on the content of their character. Your description doesn’t sound like the MLK that I praise.

As far as Malcolm X is concerned, he was a Muslim who followed the teachings of the Nation of Islam in the US. He was more of an extremist, but never claimed to be a communist. And he followed Marcus Garvey, not Marx. He believed in raising up the black man through whatever means, and lowering the white man (man here is to represent men and women, although women had their own civil rights fights at the time too). He was more about violence, but he actually made a lot of advances in the Civil Rights movement as well, although some of his facts were off quite a bit, and he tended to recite diatribe he was taught without crediting the teacher or the writer — so he plagiarized.

Edit: Sorry if it sounds like I’m getting up on a soapbox about this. I’m not trying to. I just know a little bit about these two people, so I thought I’d share.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I know practically nothing about Malcom X. But I won’t take this any farther here. I don’t want to turn every second thread into a political discussion. I come here to mostly get away from the politics – except for that discussion going with Mimi. 😀 If you’re interested where I get my info, I’d be happy to discuss it over PM or e-mail.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 116 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.