fbpx

Due Claw Woes

Home Forums Miscellany Community Due Claw Woes

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    darjeb
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your dog! Jynxx that one is cute too! I used to have a border collie and before him we had a lot of rescued mixed breeds through the years, terriers, spaniels, other collies, etc. My mom would rescue them and foster them and find the m homes and we would keep the odd one until it passed away. I honestly don’t remember my dogs having dew claws or having problems with them.

Our Siamese mother cat Cookie ended up having another litter before we could get her spayed and two of the 4 kittens were polydactyls with extra toes. We found out their stray father was when we trapped him and took him to a rescue to get neutered. So one kitten we kept has 6 toes on each foot including 2 extra dew claws on the front feet that stick out kind of funny. He looks like he’s wearing mittens so we named him mittens. A couple of the dew claws seem to turn in a bit and seem a bit looser than the other toes so we are keeping an eye on them and keep them trimmed so hopefully he doesn’t catch them on something. So far we haven’t had problems but I am sure they are different than dogs that way.

The only 6 toe cats I have ever heard of are around Key West, FL. I believe the originals belonged to Hemmingway and in Key West they are legendary and highly regarded. Do you suppose that the father was one of them?

darjeb
      Participant

Sorry to hear about your dog! Jynxx that one is cute too! I used to have a border collie and before him we had a lot of rescued mixed breeds through the years, terriers, spaniels, other collies, etc. My mom would rescue them and foster them and find the m homes and we would keep the odd one until it passed away. I honestly don’t remember my dogs having dew claws or having problems with them.

Our Siamese mother cat Cookie ended up having another litter before we could get her spayed and two of the 4 kittens were polydactyls with extra toes. We found out their stray father was when we trapped him and took him to a rescue to get neutered. So one kitten we kept has 6 toes on each foot including 2 extra dew claws on the front feet that stick out kind of funny. He looks like he’s wearing mittens so we named him mittens. A couple of the dew claws seem to turn in a bit and seem a bit looser than the other toes so we are keeping an eye on them and keep them trimmed so hopefully he doesn’t catch them on something. So far we haven’t had problems but I am sure they are different than dogs that way.

The only 6 toe cats I have ever heard of live in Key West, FL. I believe the originals belong to Hemmingway and are highly regarded and prized by the Key West residents. Do you think the father might have come from there?

Kim
        Blocked

I have no idea but I have heard of a lot of polydactyls around now so they must have spread the genes around.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

StormDancer
          Participant

We have polydactyl cats here in Colorado all over the place. And I saw a few when I was in Utah and Montana as well.

Looking for:
            "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.