fbpx

Ducks!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Ducks!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Megan
    Participant

Oh my gosh… in middle school our running track was next to a small stream that had a million geese in the summer and fall months. They would sit on the track and not move. And these geese knew that we middle schoolers were slower than they were, and that entitled them to chase us and bite our ankles.
      That’s why we ran faster, to get away from the geese!

I can still see this kid named Mike, red hair and freckles, shortest kid in the sixth grade, getting chased down the home stretch by a big Canadian honker. Screaming and flailing. It was the funniest thing ever, at the time. 🙄 Ah, memories.

Megani-chan wrote:

Oh my gosh… in middle school our running track was next to a small stream that had a million geese in the summer and fall months. They would sit on the track and not move. And these geese knew that we middle schoolers were slower than they were, and that entitled them to chase us and bite our ankles.
      That’s why we ran faster, to get away from the geese!

I can still see this kid named Mike, red hair and freckles, shortest kid in the sixth grade, getting chased down the home stretch by a big Canadian honker. Screaming and flailing. It was the funniest thing ever, at the time. 🙄 Ah, memories.

See, they are evil. 😆

Aphelion
      Participant

Those are such cute pictures! I love mallards. A friend of mine used to breed them (and assorted breeds of geese) for pets. She kept them in the house too! Unfortunately, we have those mean, ugly Muscovy ducks in our neighborhood. You can tell who feeds them by the amount of poop on certain driveways. 😉

Starbreeze
        Participant

Last year we had a Muscovy duck make her nest in some ferns by our garage door. Poor thing was so hot. Every day, I put a dish of fresh water in our front yard for her. She sat on those eggs for 4 weeks and then finally one Sunday afternoon we saw her walking by our living room window leading about 12 newly hatched ducklings. They were so cute!!! It was fun watching them learn how to walk on grass for the first time. 😀

Bob

starbreeze wrote:

Last year we had a Muscovy duck make her nest in some ferns by our garage door. Poor thing was so hot. Every day, I put a dish of fresh water in our front yard for her. She sat on those eggs for 4 weeks and then finally one Sunday afternoon we saw her walking by our living room window leading about 12 newly hatched ducklings. They were so cute!!! It was fun watching them learn how to walk on grass for the first time. 😀

Just like humans they are so CUTE when they are young but just wait until they grow up!!

Elena
            Participant

Wild Canadian Geese are evil! They put out warning every spring here that if you go walking along the rive or on the Bike paths beware of Geese!! They also poop all over the bike paths and benches and have been known to attack dogs (even big ones!)

My aunt had a hand raised one years ago and he was okay….. and wound up thanksgiving dinner 😯

Bob

NO NOT DINNER!!!

dragonmedley
                Participant

foxfeather wrote:

Wild Canadian Geese are evil! They put out warning every spring here that if you go walking along the rive or on the Bike paths beware of Geese!! They also poop all over the bike paths and benches and have been known to attack dogs (even big ones!)

My aunt had a hand raised one years ago and he was okay….. and wound up thanksgiving dinner 😯

Actually, it’s illegal to kill them! They’re a protected species, being a Canadian symbol and all. Not that they’re going to go extinct anytime soon 😯

Geese in general are very protective animals. The romans (or Greeks, I forget) used to keep them as “guard dogs”. My mom had one when she was growing up and when she’d go too far, the goose would honk and my grandma would come check it out. So when you have them as babies, they’re fine. Do beware adults though… and these birds are BIG!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                  I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Skigod377
                  Participant

Those are some really cute ducks. Ducks have a soft spot in my heart. They have such personality and they make a nice pet….esp if you have a large pond out back. We went to luisenpark and got to go on a little boat ride last weekend. Ducks and giant fish will come up to the boat and eat out of your hand. We got to pet the huge fish but the ducks were too cautious.

Bob

we have newly hatched baby geese at work right now. They are so cute during the Neon green stage

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.