fbpx

Dry Pigments and Cold Weather

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Dry Pigments and Cold Weather

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    siberakh1
    Participant

Yeral wrote:

Do you think it would be possible to do a quick 10-minute brushing of powders in a random pattern, then seal it and do detail on top of that? You’re totally right, I do love working in detail! 😆

Your best bet, to get a really detailed pattern with the dry pigments would be to mix them with GAC or some sort of acrylic medium. Depends on how detailed with them you want to get. I’ve found some pigments take more layers to build up and get the solid color I’m looking for, particularly if I’m working with a white base. That’s with the dry pigment, sealant, dry pigment, sealant method though (I use a spray sealant mostly). I do have the advantage of a root cellar to spray in during the winter.

You can spray anything outside very quickly (as long as it isn’t like 40 degrees below out), as long as the item and sealant is warm enough. I know of people who spray MSC to do doll faceups on their porch or balcony in cold weather.

Bodine
      Participant

It takes me hours to do one in the dry pigments,two to three days work for me.When I do stop,I am hurting because when I get in the zone and my hand has a mind of it’s own it seems and hours pass before I make myself stop.I’ve done some in paints,detailed quite well but I find myself drawn to the multi-colors you get with layering the powders.I go back and detail it after it has been sprayed with other colors and the gold leaf.Just how I roll myself. 😀

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

KoishiiKitty
        Participant

siberakh1 wrote:

Yeral wrote:

Do you think it would be possible to do a quick 10-minute brushing of powders in a random pattern, then seal it and do detail on top of that? You’re totally right, I do love working in detail! 😆

Your best bet, to get a really detailed pattern with the dry pigments would be to mix them with GAC or some sort of acrylic medium. Depends on how detailed with them you want to get. I’ve found some pigments take more layers to build up and get the solid color I’m looking for, particularly if I’m working with a white base. That’s with the dry pigment, sealant, dry pigment, sealant method though (I use a spray sealant mostly). I do have the advantage of a root cellar to spray in during the winter.

You can spray anything outside very quickly (as long as it isn’t like 40 degrees below out), as long as the item and sealant is warm enough. I know of people who spray MSC to do doll faceups on their porch or balcony in cold weather.

GAC is wonderful..I like the control you can get with using it and still do a dry brush affect with out your pigments coming off.

A white base is something I need to try again!~ Those really are harder to do blending on and I am usualy more comfy with the darker colors and black bases.

What is the spray sealant you use by chance Sib?

siberakh1
          Participant

KoishiiKitty wrote:

GAC is wonderful..I like the control you can get with using it and still do a dry brush affect with out your pigments coming off.

A white base is something I need to try again!~ Those really are harder to do blending on and I am usually more comfy with the darker colors and black bases.

I just use Krylon. Finish depends on what effect I want, shiny or matte or something in between.

I’m having trouble finding the Decoart staining medium I was using for antiquing though. The AC Moore near my house stopped carrying it! I have one bottle left, but I need to find more. AC Moore also stopped carrying Pearl-ex powders as well. :

Pegasi1978
            Participant

siberakh1 wrote:

KoishiiKitty wrote:

A white base is something I need to try again!~ Those really are harder to do blending on and I am usually more comfy with the darker colors and black bases.

I just use Krylon. Finish depends on what effect I want, shiny or matte or something in between.

I’m having trouble finding the Decoart staining medium I was using for antiquing though. The AC Moore near my house stopped carrying it! I have one bottle left, but I need to find more. AC Moore also stopped carrying Pearl-ex powders as well. :
              I’ve got an extra bottle (never been opened) on hand, as well as a Hobby Lobby near by that (if I remember correctly) carries it. Want me to send you some?

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.