fbpx

DOG OWNERS! – Important info about toxins

Home Forums Miscellany Community DOG OWNERS! – Important info about toxins

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Laurie
    Participant

Kyrin wrote:

purpledragonclaw wrote:

Thank you, PhoenixTears, for the info! Having been around dogs all my life and raised 5, I knew most of what you said. I also have something to add: I don’t know about cats, but keep dogs away from ivy and datura! It doesn’t even have to be poison ivy to make a dog sick; my former Rott mix got into some ivy growing into the yard and started coughing and hacking. And datura, though it smells wonderful, is a highly poisonous flower! Don’t let your dog anywhere near them!

Datura is also a powerful heart drug, which is why it is so poisonous. It has medicinal value, but only in a weighed and measured kind of way, preferably in a prescribed drug form. 🙂

Kyrin

Nightshade is a type of Datura that grows all over, gets pretty little purple flowers and green berries that turn purple when ripe. Birds and ants love them and spread them all over, but you don’t want to watch a horse die from it. I have and it was the saddest thing I ever saw. His head swelled up so big his hair fell out and all he did was push his head against me to relieve the pressure. Of course he had to be put down. whenever I see it I pull it and it goes into the garbage.

purpledragonclaw
      Participant

I just thought of something else. While it may not kill dogs outright, it is really not healthy for them, so please keep this in mind as well. I don’t recommend feeding your dogs meat or products that are high in fat, a.k.a. bacon, linguica, etc. In some dog breeds the fat causes a lump in their bodies called fat deposits. While they are not fatal in themselves, they are extremely hard to get rid of. I’ve had two dogs who had them: the first had about five big ones that never went away. We fed him treats like bacon grease because we didn’t know any better. My current dog has one that we have managed to keep small, but cannot get rid of it. Basically, anything pork is a bad idea unless you ration it, and I mean don’t give it to them every day, or even every other day. While I don’t think these deposits affect quality of life (they haven’t with my dogs) I don’t imagine it’s comfortable carrying around big lumps you can’t get rid of.

Heather
        Participant

purpledragonclaw wrote:

I just thought of something else. While it may not kill dogs outright, it is really not healthy for them, so please keep this in mind as well. I don’t recommend feeding your dogs meat or products that are high in fat, a.k.a. bacon, linguica, etc. In some dog breeds the fat causes a lump in their bodies called fat deposits. While they are not fatal in themselves, they are extremely hard to get rid of. I’ve had two dogs who had them: the first had about five big ones that never went away. We fed him treats like bacon grease because we didn’t know any better. My current dog has one that we have managed to keep small, but cannot get rid of it. Basically, anything pork is a bad idea unless you ration it, and I mean don’t give it to them every day, or even every other day. While I don’t think these deposits affect quality of life (they haven’t with my dogs) I don’t imagine it’s comfortable carrying around big lumps you can’t get rid of.

Mm. One definite risk when feeding a dog a fatty food is pancreatitis. The pancreas is a large gland that sits just below the stomach. Its job is to secrete enzymes that help the body digest fatty foods. However, if the pancreas gets overstimulated by a fatty meal, it freaks out and dumps huge amounts of enzymes. In the process, it starts to digest itself. This is very bad for the dog. Signs include vomiting, diarrhea, and belly pains; these can be quite severe. In particularly bad cases, the dog can even die. And sometimes, a dog who has several milder cases during its life can later develop diabetes as a result.

That’s not to say that one drop of bacon grease will cause disaster. But it’s hard to predict where the line between “safe” and “dangerous” lies. I’m with purpledragonclaw: be really cautious when feeding dogs fatty foods. In particular, items like bacon grease, sausage, drippings, meat trimmings, and even turkey meat are things that may be best avoided.

Skigod377
          Participant

purpledragonclaw wrote:

I dont feed my dogs bacon or meat and one of them developed fatty lumps. Sometimes it just happens, I guess.

Katherine
            Participant

Wow! Thanks or that information!

Alexa Jordan
              Participant

I learn a lot from this thread i didn’t about this syndrome but now i will more conscious about that yes i am aware from https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/witness-heartworm.aspxheartworm because my pet was suffered form this illness but now he is fine we live happily together.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.