fbpx

DOG OWNERS! – Important info about toxins

Home Forums Miscellany Community DOG OWNERS! – Important info about toxins

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

This has been verified by not only several vets I know, but since youre all so bent on Snopes, there is a link to it here at the end too. Point is, if you use these as treats for your dogs, stop. Better safe than sorry, right?

Written by:
    Laurinda Morris, DVM
    Danville Veterinary Clinic
    Danville , Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn’t call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn’t seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me – had heard something about it, but…. Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Cent er and they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog’s BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine! Over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn’t control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.

This is a very sad case – great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler’s. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.

Even if you don’t have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

Confirmation from Snopes about the above…
    http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

I knew raisins were not safe to feed in large amounts to ferrets, though they love them, but I didn’t realize it could be dangerous for a dog. I don’t usually have raisins in my house, so I guess my pets are safe for now.

Another thing I found out the hard way that is a toxin for dogs is walnut hulls, not the shells, but the green husk they grow in. My dog Holly just about killed herself chewing these to get to the walnuts. The symptoms were very similar to strictnine poisoning. Luckily she recovered with some help from the vet, but yeesh, you never really think of these things.

Kyrin

Thanks for that info too Kyrin! Sharing frightening and often sad stories like that here, c an help alert other owners to things that may be dangerous to other dogs because others found out the hard way and didnt know.

Anyone else that knows what might be dangerous for dogs or cats to ingest, feel free to share. Even if youre not sure, Id really rather be safe than sorry because once you go down an unknown path, you could lose big time.

And yes, I do know that some ppl with staunchly disagree with the article above for vets have told me that even though they explain it to their clients when necessary, clients have gotten in THEIR faces. Id rather take the heat from any disbelievers here if it saves just one animal.

Rusti
    Participant

I’ve known about the grapes thing for a while, we used to toss one or two to my parents’ irish setter, but he doesn’t get them anymore.

Baker’s chocolate, the bitter kind you use in cooking is the worst you can give an animal. It would take a proportionately larger amount of milk chocolate to do the same kind of harm only a few ounces of baker’s chocolate can do.

Pay close attention to your houseplants too. Pothos, a popular vine, is quite toxic. Daffodils, lillies, chrysanthemum (pyrethrins, which are actually quite toxic to cats come from this plant family), etc. Too much garlic can cause anemia, so it’s better to use flea treatments from your vet than garlic pills.

Keep a close eye on what goes into your pet’s mouth. Ideally it should only be their kibble (or carefully reasearched raw, if you swing that way) and their pet treats.

Also meant to mention, stay away from OTC flea, tick and wormer medication. I’ve seen a dog arrest and die simply from the Hartz OTC dewormer, piperazine. Panacure or Strongid is far safer. Get all your meds from the vet if at all possible!

Another thing that is very poisonous is the black mulch made for cocoa shells. They contain large amounts of theobromine, which is the ingredient in dark chocolate that is also poisonous. The mulch smells a lot like chocolate, and has been responsible for a few deaths already.
      And with the chocolate, the darker the candy, the more poisonous it is. A 1/2 lb. bar is likely to be fatal for a smaller dog or cat.

Reminds me…never use Defend flea stuff on cats! EVER! Fought to save 3 cats after their owner put the Defend top spot stuff on them, all three died with much suffering despite all our efforts. Defend is only for dogs, and honestly, I wouldn’t even use it on them.

Also, Adams flea and tick spray is bad juju, had a puppy go into spasms from that, she never really did fully recover, but didn’t die from it.

Kyrin

purpledragonclaw
      Participant

Thank you, PhoenixTears, for the info! Having been around dogs all my life and raised 5, I knew most of what you said. I also have something to add: I don’t know about cats, but keep dogs away from ivy and datura! It doesn’t even have to be poison ivy to make a dog sick; my former Rott mix got into some ivy growing into the yard and started coughing and hacking. And datura, though it smells wonderful, is a highly poisonous flower! Don’t let your dog anywhere near them!

purpledragonclaw wrote:

Thank you, PhoenixTears, for the info! Having been around dogs all my life and raised 5, I knew most of what you said. I also have something to add: I don’t know about cats, but keep dogs away from ivy and datura! It doesn’t even have to be poison ivy to make a dog sick; my former Rott mix got into some ivy growing into the yard and started coughing and hacking. And datura, though it smells wonderful, is a highly poisonous flower! Don’t let your dog anywhere near them!

Datura is also a powerful heart drug, which is why it is so poisonous. It has medicinal value, but only in a weighed and measured kind of way, preferably in a prescribed drug form. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kyrin

siberakh1
        Participant

Here are some links for poisonous plants and food for pets:

A good list of plants toxic to pets:
          http://www.uexplore.com/health/poisonplants.htm

ASPCA Poison control center – there is even a link for plants toxic to horses on the lower right:
          http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc&JServSessionIdr007=3g95189r01.app25b

For foods:
          http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/protect_your_pet_from_common_household_dangers/foods_potentially_poisonous_to_pets.html

Broccoli in large amounts is bad, as is garlic (too much can make a dog anemic, so garlic pills over the counter are not a good idea – talk to the vet about stuff for them).

For Cats:
          Cats are a lot of the same kinds of foods: Onions contain N-propyl disulphide, which kills red blood cells in cats. Garlic has a similiar substance, but it’s not as potent. Similar root vegetables (scallions, etc.) should be avoided also (they are related and have similar problems).

Tomatoes, while they won’t hurt a dog, can kill a cat. Tomatoes and Green (raw Potatoes) are in the same family of plants (Solanaceae). Deadly Nightshade is also a member of this family. They contain an alkaloid that is very bitter called Glycoalkaloid Solanine that can cause violent gastrointestinal symptoms.

Caffeine and other stimulants are bad for cats as well (chocolate contains the stimulant theobromine).

This had a good chart for plants cats shouldn’t ingest at the bottom of the page:
          http://www.healthypets.com/toxiccat.html

Also, if you have a kitten, check with your vet before you give it a flea collar or start a flea treatment. My friend found out the hard way by getting one in the store that said it was ok for kittens. The kitten died from poisoning due to the flea collar. When in doubt, ask a vet that you trust!

Saddly I did know about raisins and grapes. I have many many pages of toxic plants if anyone wants to know. But, I’d have to drag up my old grooming binder…….

Here’s another couple of sites on foods including what they do and symptoms to watch for.

http://www.starbreezes.com/11/foodsafe.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1661&articleid=1030
          *Ocean FyrePaperRedSilverorange*Pink

Xylitol in gum. It causes low blood sugar or liver failure in dogs depending on how many sticks they eat. It’s more of a problem in little dogs.

You guys have pulled this together so nicely with MANY helpful links. Ive been through them and they are enlightening. Glad that no one got hot under the collar about this topic and I hope it doesnt stir. It is simply for the animals.

Ive read it but already know and put it out there since they are so popular during Christmas but Poinsettias have a milk substance in them that cats actually like, that is fatal when ingested. I know many do not know this either because they are not animal ppl or dont know specifics or, dont care. But after the holidays, I see so many Poinsettias sitting out on ppl’s porches. Like everywhere, theres tons of stray cats about. And they do go for the disregarded plants. Very sad. Strays may be a menace in most instances but there is a much better way to take care of the situation- humanely.

Btw, Im not saying that ppl that put their holiday plant outside afterwards, have that cruel intention in mind.

Thanks for everyone sharing and chipping in stories and links!

Purplecat
          Participant

wow…thank you! I’m relatively new to being a dog owner..so it’s good to learn this stuff. ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.