fbpx

Dishonest People ~ It happened again! pg2

Home Forums Miscellany Community Dishonest People ~ It happened again! pg2

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author

A tip- (for what its worth…well two of them)….if you buy something with Amex, they will automatically protect you from fraudulent purchases, especially online. Amex did this twice for me without any question (and I changed my number both times) and Discover did this too. Fraud protection is sometimes a service they offer for a small monthly fee as well.

I once had a fraudulent credit card on my report that I never opened with a small balance, plus found an address listed I never lived at. Capital One actually thought something was amiss and notified me (the account had been opened in my BROTHER’S NAME with MY social) I ended up writing about three stern letters to Capital One until they finally closed it and wiped out the card from my credit report. After that I got ID Watchdog. (It’s GREAT!)

Identity theft just seems to be on the rise and believe me, it makes me as mad as you! I’m just glad you found out about it and hopefully you can get this resolved soon….

Zelda
    Participant

Yikes! All the best to you and I hope you can take legal action against this person! Especially because they are in your area, it might be easier to get them prosecuted and get what you deserve back!

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Dragons4life has some sound advice. I had a CapitalOne card and it was nothing but problems from day one, truly. I have an Amex now and I couldn’t be happier with the card company. They have gone well out of their way to always make things right for me.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

frozendragon
        Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Dragons4life has some sound advice. I had a CapitalOne card and it was nothing but problems from day one, truly. I have an Amex now and I couldn’t be happier with the card company. They have gone well out of their way to always make things right for me.

that’s funny.. it’s the total opposite for me, CapitalOne has been great to me, and Amex totally screwed me over..

frozendragon wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

that’s funny.. it’s the total opposite for me, CapitalOne has been great to me, and Amex totally screwed me over..
          It’s like cell phone carriers…I have Verizon, yeah, my bill is a bit higher than most US Cellular customers, but it is much less than my bill was through US Cell years ago…I can’t stand them now, and I love my Verizon. Also, from working with people with Nextel and Sprint, I am certainly NOT entertaining the thought of changing to their service either! 😉 Credit cards and banks are much the same way. I wouldn’t go to Wells Fargo to save my life…But I have friends who have banked with them forever and love them. 😕
          Visa, Mastercard…Pffft. Cut ’em up and be glad they are gone. 😆

megamibabe16
          Participant

My father had to deal with something like this once. I don’t know how he did it, but he got the bank to reimburse him somehow. It really is frightening how dishonest some people are.

Maria
            Participant

These stories are scary! I hope you can get your money back, Kalandra. 🙁

Pegasi1978
              Participant

Things like this are why it is a good idea to check on your credit report from time to time. Under a new Federal law, you have the right to receive a free copy of your credit report once every 12 months from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies. To request your free annual report under that law, you must go to http://www.annualcreditreport.com

Pick a different one and check your credit every 4 months and you have it covered quite nicely. That reminds me….off to check my credit report and to close a Macy’s account that hasn’t been used since July 2007 and won’t likely be used again as the closest store is 4 hours away.

LadyFirebird
                Participant

That is so frustrating! My neighbor’s son-in-law had someone clean out his checking account in a weekend! And he works for a bank and they think it was an inside job! Talk about scary–but they refunded everything back to him and are investigating the incident. Sorry this happened to you and I hope everything works out in the end!

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

Ironically I just got hit by fraud this morning at 6am. Someone went on an online shopping spree too the tune of several hundred dollars within a few minutes. Less than 10 minutes after the orders were placed, AmEx called me to report suspicious activity and sure enough it wasn’t anything I bought. They caught it so fast that the charges never even hit my account and they are overnighting me a new card. Thank goodness. I was doubtful when I signed up for their premium service, as it costs me a fee each year, but it’s already paid for itself!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

Adaneth
                    Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Ironically I just got hit by fraud this morning at 6am. Someone went on an online shopping spree too the tune of several hundred dollars within a few minutes. Less than 10 minutes after the orders were placed, AmEx called me to report suspicious activity and sure enough it wasn’t anything I bought. They caught it so fast that the charges never even hit my account and they are overnighting me a new card. Thank goodness. I was doubtful when I signed up for their premium service, as it costs me a fee each year, but it’s already paid for itself!

That’s great you didn’t lose anything!

This Christmas I bought a gift card from a mall in Australia online for a friend of mine in Australia, and my credit card company got excited and made me confirm it, made me happy they keep tabs on things.

Anonymous

Thank you everyone for your support and helpful advise, i’ll post an update when the bank is done with their investigation!

Maria
                        Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Wow! Now that’s service; so glad you didn’t lose anything. 😮

frozendragon
                          Participant

WindstoneCollector wrote:

frozendragon wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

It’s like cell phone carriers…I have Verizon, yeah, my bill is a bit higher than most US Cellular customers, but it is much less than my bill was through US Cell years ago…I can’t stand them now, and I love my Verizon. Also, from working with people with Nextel and Sprint, I am certainly NOT entertaining the thought of changing to their service either! 😉 Credit cards and banks are much the same way. I wouldn’t go to Wells Fargo to save my life…But I have friends who have banked with them forever and love them. 😕
                            Visa, Mastercard…Pffft. Cut ’em up and be glad they are gone. 😆

I got AT&T because the Iphone… ugh.. I want to go back to Sprint soooooo bad now.. but I’m stuck for a while… I hat AT&T with a passion now.. I did hear Iphone might be available on other networks soon??

and I agree with Wells Fargo, I used them for years and then suddenly they just decided to charge me over and over the same fees, it was their mistake so they took them off.. and the very next day charged them again.. and charged a fee for each fee they put on the account.. and when I called they wouldn’t take any off.. because they’d already taken fees off that month.. GRRR

LOL

frozendragon
                            Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

Wow! Now that’s service; so glad you didn’t lose anything. 😮

for real…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.