fbpx

Dinosaurs

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Dinosaurs

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    WolfenMachine
    Participant

I’ve never heard of a mononuc….that dino 🙂 Here are some pics in case anyone is as curious as I was.

Zelda
      Participant

Whee, as a dino-nut myself I would LOVE to see even just a few castings of your ‘lost dinosaur’ make it out there 🙂 There are actually quite a few uni-dinos (aka ceratopsian dinosaurs with a prominent nasal horn and no or less prominent orbital horns), including Einiosaurus, Styracosaurus, and Centrosaurus. If you want a really WEIRD one-horned wonder, google an image up of Pachyrhinosaurus. This is the only ceratopsian yet known to have a nasal horn that’s not really a horn at all, but a cornified pad like those on the tops of musk ox skulls. It took us paleontologists a while to figure that oddity out, so early restorations of that species feature it with a HUGE rhino-like horn that takes up a good portion of its skull 🙂

Even if it’s just a picture, Melody I’d be very interested in seeing your take on a Monoclonius!

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Pam

I thought there was some debate that Pachyrhino may have had a large horn but it was just broken in the fossil they had? Maybe I’m thinking of Cryolophosaurus or Spinosaurus.

Anyhow, Zelda, have you seen Papos new Pachy?? *wants*

Maria
          Participant

I’d love to see a pic of Melody’s sculpt; that’s a neat dino.

darjeb
            Participant

WindstoneCollector wrote:

darjeb wrote:

Oh Goody a new Dino

Where’s your Tortoise? 😮
              I too look forward to a new Dino! 😀

Yes I have one but it is in another place in the house

Zelda
              Participant

Pam Thompson wrote:

I thought there was some debate that Pachyrhino may have had a large horn but it was just broken in the fossil they had? Maybe I’m thinking of Cryolophosaurus or Spinosaurus.

Anyhow, Zelda, have you seen Papos new Pachy?? *wants*

Hey Pam! I was able to attend the annual meeting of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology in 2008 and heard a talk about the bone histology of that horn. Nope you’re right about the broken horn theory – that was the previous thinking, which is why a lot of Pachyrhinosauruses got restored with a MASSIVE horn. The Dino Riders toy version of this guy is almost comedic, but he’s one of my favorites from that line 🙂 Anyway histology scans were compared to modern critters, and it turns out the nasal horn is made up of this very characteristic bone arrangement, exactly like that on the top of musk oxen skulls. So the going theory now is that these guys had a cornified skin pad, and may have done some serious shoving with it. I hope that research gets published soon, but there should be an abstract in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology’s 2008 supplement to issue #3 if you’re curious in the meantime!

As for Papo’s critters, is that Pachy different from the Jurassic Park-esque one they released? I heard they had a few new figures out this year. That’s one line I seriously need to catch up with 🙂 Too many dinosaurs and too little shelf space! Papo’s figures in general are very well done, they’re giving Safari Ltd. a real run for their money. I wish they were better distributed in the US though…

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Pam

Quote:

As for Papo’s critters, is that Pachy different from the Jurassic Park-esque one they released? I heard they had a few new figures out this year. That’s one line I seriously need to catch up with 🙂 Too many dinosaurs and too little shelf space! Papo’s figures in general are very well done, they’re giving Safari Ltd. a real run for their money. I wish they were better distributed in the US though…

What about the new pachy makes you call it “Jurassic Park-esque”? Just curious. I really loved it because it looked to me like a break from all their other dinos which were nearly all identical to the JP movie versions. Of course, I’ve only seen one picture of this piece so far.. http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt60/Kikimalou/_301009_1.jpg

Zelda
                  Participant

*thunks head* Sorry Pam, I read ‘pachy’ as Pachycephalosaurus for some dumb reason, which Papo does have a model of and looks pretty darn close to the Jurassic Park one. I think the Pachyrhinosaurus looks great! The antler-like horns at the top of the crest are a little weird, as I’m not aware of any specimens that actually show this. I’m a theropod person though, so I may not be caught up on what’s out there!

Pam

The two horns on top existed on real pachys but (so far as I can tell) they were a lot less exaggerated than on Papos model. Also, after looking at it a while, it looks like the frill is probably too big and the face a little too elongated. But, its still the best toy pachy in existence, by far (and the big frill and long face would make one killer styraco with a little epoxy putty!)
                      😀

For reference, here are the only decent Pachy skeletal drawings I could find:

And a gorgeous model by Dan Lorusso:

Zelda
                      Participant

Dan LoRusso’s work is great! If you’ve ever seen any of the Boston Museum of Science dinosaurs, he did a good chunk of that line. Yup the Pachy’s got those two horns at the top of its crest (Einiosaurus does something similar) although I was referring to the horns-branching-from-horns thing the Papo figures does. It looks like a pair of antlers 🙂 Definitely not evidenced by the fossil record but it does look neat. I agree with you that it’s the best (out of the few!) Pachys out there!

Pam

Ooo! I LOVE Boston Museum figures! I’m trying to collect all of them, but the prices on some are a little too insane for me… Like, even more so than eBay Windstones. Why did they have to retire, why??

Quote:

I was referring to the horns-branching-from-horns thing the Papo figures does.

Yeah, that’s what I meant too. If you look at the skull illustration, you can see there are two little horns branching inward on the top of the frill, at the very base of the ones that branch outward. So, I think thats what Papo was kinda going for, but they made it too exagerated, and have he inner horns branching from the two big horns instead of from the frill itself. Im hoping it will look a little less antler like in real life. Papo’s catalog pics are sometimes a lot different from what the figure looks like in person.

Zelda
                          Participant

That’s very true, I haven’t seen it in person yet. Papos are pretty hard to find in the brick and mortar stores, around here anyway. Some independent toy shops carry them, and A.C. Moore stores on the east coast, but they usually only have the human and horse figures. Sooner or later I’ll add their dinos to my collection! I only have the Stegosaurus thus far, but I think it’s a great figure.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.