fbpx

Dang pedigree pulled out all the stops with this one

Home Forums Miscellany Community Dang pedigree pulled out all the stops with this one

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    siberakh1
    Participant

nessiemom wrote:

If anyone has any suggestions about dog food, I’d love to hear it… I have a dog that cannot (and I mean CANNOT) have…
      Chicken, Turkey, Pork, Venison, Barley, Potatoes, Corn and Wheat…
      Ok, I know that most holistic foods leave out the corn and wheat… whoopee… they usually substitute barley. Try finding something that has none of the above. That has meat as a primary ingredient. I’m to the point I’m at my wits end…

I know I forgot to look up recipes for someone on a similar topic *feels bad, wrote it down to ask person* :oops:, but have you considered feeding your dog beef and rice? I know my sheltie had really bad stomach issues and when he couldn’t eat anything, we would feed him rice in batches and mix it in with a little bit of beef or dog food (but he didn’t have any food allergies, so he eventually would go back to his dog food). I know several people who feed their dogs natural food (meat, rice, veggies). The added benefits are they don’t smell as ‘doggy’ as they did when they were on regular dog food and then you know what is going into the food. They had better breath and didn’t fart as much either 😛

Ideas to try:
      Lamb, rice, beef, veggies. Lamb is considered a very gentle meat (it’s the only one that doesn’t seem to upset one of my cocker’s stomach – it’s very touchy). He is on a food that is lamb and rice based. There might be some dog foods that are based off of them without the other stuff.

nessiemom
      Participant

That’s another thought… Going to have to do some more research… *eyeballs start crossing*

ruffian wrote:

I never said pedigree was good, also said I dont feed it (I think), but it is better than nothing, which is why I suggested buying it to donate to shelters. While I also like the high quality food, Solid Gold donates next to nothing to shelters.

Quote:

…sorry you read my post wrong. I was not implying that YOU liked pedigree in any way. I was simply putting my own personal feelings out there in regards to the company. It wasn’t directed at anyone specifically. I know you never said Pedigree was good, I wasn’t saying that you did. I wasn’t saying it was wrong for you to say that buying to donate it to shelters is good. Sorry, I really wasn’t saying anything *to* you. I apologize you read it incorrectly.

As far as donations go, I guess I don’t care that Solid Gold doesn’t donate. All I care about is that their food is helping my animals. Donations don’t really sell me on a product (not saying they do for anyone on here…just saying they don’t for ME)

I guess I will have to start figuring out how to talk better on here. Evidently I’m making it seem sometimes like I’m talking to a specific person when often I’m not and I certainly don’t want to offend anyone unintentionally. I apologize again for any confusion. 😉

Did you all really think I was leaving? Aw, that’s so sweet. I was going to an early birthday party. And no I can’t spell.(I did say I was hyper in another thread.LOL) But, really if you would like some more suggestions then I do have some more. But, only if you do want them.

I’ve researched alot of foods because there were dogs coming to me with huge problems. (Not while I was a vet tech. This was while I was grooming.) While one food would work for one, it wouldn’t work for others. Some were cleared up with zinc supplements. It does take alot of trial and error. Sometimes it isn’t even the food it’s something like fabric softener that was causing reactions. Or some other chemical. So I’m wishing you the best of luck with finding the right food. I’ve also consulted one of my friends who owns a high end pet food store for suggestions for you as well.

Bob

Our puppy many years ago had an enlarged heart and we had to do the rice and browned ground beef for her and she seemed to LOVE it. She was a Basenji and live to be 14 and did not seem to have a problem

Arlla
          Participant

Yeah, you really might want to look deeply into cooking your own dog food, Nessie….I know there’s still a lot of debat about that too, but it looks like it might just be the easist way to make sure your dog gets what she needs and doesn’t get what she can’t have! With most recipes, I think you can cook up a decent sized batch and then put it in meal-sized baggies and freeze them, so you’re not cooking for your dog every day.

I did a TON of research on dog food when I got my puppy…I didn’t end up with the food I liked best based on my research, because my dog is a picky little bitch (yes I’m using the technical term) and I’m lucky if I get her to eat ANY dry food…I’m on a mix of Solid Gold and Canidae right now…

Learning how to read lables is important, and learning how things are cooked is also important – some grains and “fillers” are actually perfectly digestable if cooked in certain ways, though in most foods they actually are fillers…Anything on the label that’s purposefully vague, like “meat by-products” or “animal fat” can really honestly be just about anything…if they don’t specify the kind of animal they’re using in the food, it could be literally ANY sort of meat. Dead circus elephants, racoons, euthanized shelter animals, culled horses…anything. If that bothers you, read your labels.

Any pet food you can get at the grocery store is going to be high in fat and salt and low in nutrition. A lot of good foods can be ordered over the internet, and they don’t have to be hugely expensive. Actually, feeding better probably prevents a lot of health problems down the road that you’d have to pay gobs of money to your vet for treating. Plus, since most of the better foods have fewer “fillers” in them than the cheap brands, you’re dog will actually be digesting more of what she eats – meaning she’ll need to eat less. Which means smaller less smelly poops AND you might not actually be spending much more money on food at all.

…I feel like a pet store employee again. I’m not working for any of these companies, I swear! Buy what you want for your dog!! XD That’s just what I know…

That pedigree comercial made me want to cry…though personally, I’d much rather donate to the shelter myself than buy any of their food…though as someone here already said, it’s good that they donate as a LOT of people do buy pedigree.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
            -J R R Tolkien

WolfenMachine
            Participant

I agree, that commercial is very sad, and very touching at the same time. I’ve wanted to donate a few hundred to a local no-kill shelter for months, but…well maybe after Spring Break, when I can get my debts paid down a little bit. I think it would be cool if all us animal loving folks could go down to our local shelter and at least donate $30 or a couple bags of the “good stuff” food, once a month. I think it would really make a difference.

There was also a topic on dog foods a little while back that discussed a lot of this in detail…I’ll try and find it.

NessieMom

When I was looking into getting my new babies I did a lot of research into dog foods and I found this site very uesful: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main . There is a lot of good generic information here and the people at the forum will be happy to recommend brands or diets that might help your baby.

Whippetluv

If you can go $35 for a 40 lbs bag, I know where you can get Canidae(.com for brand info), a very good dog food (according to the label), delivered to your door (It’s $43+ a bag locally), PetPointe.com (I use them). The only catch is that you have to buy 5 bags ($175) at a time. They also have a detail ingredient list on their site but finding it can be a pain.

If not, Purina One is suppose to be the best dog food on the market that you can get locally (I can’t disagree, my first baby lived almost 15 yrs on it). Sadly the vet brands, like Science Diet (use to be good) and IAMS, are NOT good dog foods, they are just expensive.

Skigod377
              Participant

I can vouch for Purina One. I fed my dogs that stuff religiously for 5 years, switched to Science Diet then Iams for a while, then right back to Purina One.

Bob

I know Cats are different but the Purina One gave my oldest male crystals in his bladder so now my kids are all on Urinary Track formula cat food

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.