fbpx

Dang pedigree pulled out all the stops with this one

Home Forums Miscellany Community Dang pedigree pulled out all the stops with this one

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Rusti
    Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Heck yeah! Its cheap!! (I use Purina One)

Lucky duck. My dog has to eat the $50 a bag Royal Canin german shepherd food or she has these horrid bouts of IBD. She used to eat IAMs and/or Science Diet maintenance.

In the long run it’s cheaper to buy the food every two months than pay $200 for fluids, an NSAID to break her fever and antibiotics every six.

Skigod377
      Participant

Awww… poor puppy. ๐Ÿ™ I tried science diet and Iams, but both didnt help. They seem to do best on Purina.

nessiemom wrote:

If anyone has any suggestions about dog food, I’d love to hear it… I have a dog that cannot (and I mean CANNOT) have…
        Chicken, Turkey, Pork, Venison, Barley, Potatoes, Corn and Wheat…
        Ok, I know that most holistic foods leave out the corn and wheat… whoopee… they usually substitute barley. Try finding something that has none of the above. That has meat as a primary ingredient. I’m to the point I’m at my wits end…

I’ll look into that for you. Maybe I’ll find something for you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

So, so far I haven’t found any kibble. But, there are some raw diets and canned diets that you might be interested in. For example Nature’s Variety has
        Beef canned food,
        95% meat, 5% fruits and veggies,
        grain free
        No Hormones, no steroids
        Complete and ballanced for all life stages.
        Lamb canned same as the beef
        Rabbit same as the beef

Raw Frozen diets;
        Beef
        95% meat, 5% fruits and veggies,
        grain free
        Made with human grade ingredients
        Pasture feed
        complete and ballanced for all life stages.
        Lamb, same as the beef but,
        Antibiotic free, and hormone free
        Rabbit same as the lamb.
        http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1305
        I might be able to find some more options for you.

Rusti
        Participant

*puts on vet tech hat* If Nessie’s pup has food allergies, all food trials should be done under a vet’s supervision for safety’s sake.

Food allergies can cause rashes, hair loss, itchy skin/ears/feet, diarrhea, vomiting, IBD (or something like it) and any other variety of nasties, and dogs certainly don’t manifest their allergies the same way we do!

She should get her dog allergy tested so she knows for sure what’s going on, and talk to her vet to get appropriate food choices and to get treatment if something goes wrong so the poor vet doesn’t have to play ‘guessing game’.

Pay a visit to your vet, first, Nessie, before you start playing food carousel, and whenever you do switch, make sure to do it gradually (over the course of a week to 10 days!) or it could really upset your baby’s GI tract! (And all food trials need 6-8 weeks with NOTHING BUT THE FOOD BEING TESTED being eaten for the entire trial – which means no treats, no people food, no garbage, nada!)

Edit: to put it simply, anyone with an ounce of common sense wouldn’t come to the Windstone message board to get advice on that weird swelling in their throat after they ate peanuts…they’d go to the doctor. Please, please, please!! visit your vet for treatment!

not helpful for Nessie really….but I know alot of show dog owners who just feed raw chicken wings and raw veggies for their dogs.
          I feed McDonaldsTypeFood to mine…shame on me I know, but dang it I do not live in an area where you can easily get great dog food. The best you can get is like from the vets office and I can NOT justify to my wife 50 dollar a bag food for our 5 dogs. So my dogs eat some raw chicken wings and purina puppychow (I have too skinny whippets and they need the extra fat)

Snort, I was a vet tech. I know that. I thought that her dog was already checked out? Whatever, there are foods out there that will fit most requirements. You don’t have to get a vets permission to switch foods. Just like you don’t have to go to a doctor to switch foods in your own diet. But, I do recommend that whatever is done, you switch food slowly.

Rusti
          Participant

Romeodanny wrote:

Snort, I was a vet tech. I know that. I thought that her dog was already checked out? Whatever, there are foods out there that will fit most requirements. You don’t have to get a vets permission to switch foods. Just like you don’t have to go to a doctor to switch foods in your own diet. But, I do recommend that whatever is done, you switch food slowly.

Wow, was that necessary? How was I supposed to know you were a vet tech? Snark much, especially since it wasn’t really you I was addressing? No, she doesn’t have to get a vet’s permission, but it might certainly help her! Especially if he/she can find her a food that they can readily order for her.

She didn’t say whether or not she’d had her dog checked out, which was why I made that recommendation. I sort of like my license, and would rather not give advice out without having seen the dog personally and make a decision from there.

I, personally, would not go to the internet to get advice, because I’ve seen some pretty horrible things happen when owners do. That’s just me, I guess. Not to rag on Nessie or anything, I can understand looking for leads!

Nessie, if you have visited a vet, and they couldn’t find you a food, good luck! I’ve checked Purina, S/D, Eukanuba and Waltham/Royal Canin and all of their Rx diets have at least one of those ingredients. If you haven’t, make an appointment to get pup checked out and go from there.

Whatever decision you make, I wish you luck. Allergies are a bugger!

Woah, okay….I wasn’t saying that to be snarky. Really, I’m sorry you took offence to that. Really I am. That was not my intention. Stupid me for having a say about anything. I’m sorry, really for making you feel belittled or whatever you feel. I know you didn’t know that I was a vet tech. I didn’t expect you to know. From now on I’ll not offer ANYONE any help or advice, or a link to better foods. (Hopefully, nessie a vet will be able to help you out. And Rusti, I really am sorry you took offence to my post.) Syanara, thanks for all the fish. I’m out. ๐Ÿ˜›

NirvanaCat13
            Participant

Ummmm….Syanara?….So Long….and thanks for all the fish…=P

Now give eachother a hug and make up. =P

Rusti
              Participant

Romeodanny wrote:

Woah, okay….I wasn’t saying that to be snarky. Really, I’m sorry you took offence to that. Really I am. That was not my intention. Stupid me for having a say about anything. I’m sorry, really for making you feel belittled or whatever you feel. I know you didn’t know that I was a vet tech. I didn’t expect you to know. From now on I’ll not offer ANYONE any help or advice, or a link to better foods. (Hopefully, nessie a vet will be able to help you out. And Rusti, I really am sorry you took offence to my post.) Syanara, thanks for all the fish. I’m out. ๐Ÿ˜›

Such is the problem with the internet, tone of voice goes a long way toward making words a lot less harsh. The way you worded it came off super defensive on my radar. I use words like ‘snort’ and ‘whatever’ when I intend to make an angry or sarcastic (or sometimes defensive) point and that’s what I picked up on.

No offense taken, now that there’s clarification! ๐Ÿ™‚

Ack, come back. We don’t want to loose any memebers.

Back on the topic of dog food. I have switched my dogs from Iams to Nutro. They seem to like it and my one dog is having less stomach problems. I think it was TF who suggested it and Thank you very much. I can only see one problem with it, they don’t have very many choices in the tiny bite. My one pug has a hard time with the larger size.

Skigod377
                Participant

Geeez its so hard to tell tone on here. ๐Ÿ™ We need volume. Snap!! Get to it! *Wherefor is ol Snapdragon??*

nessiemom
                  Participant

Sorry, I should have clarified…
                    One of my best friends is my vet, and quite frankly, she’s ready to pull her hair out about this too… We have done the HESKA serum testing, and those results were the ones that were returned. I have switched her to Nature’s Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon, which has pretty much cleared up the skin issues (and yes, she had the rash, chewing etc… she was almost naked on one side, poor thing). My vet knows what I’m going thru, just because we talk alot (lol), but I’m really not happy feeding her a food that uses sweet potato as it’s main ingredient. Dogs are omnivores, I know, but I also know they are more carnivores, too… Plus, it downright STINKS! Talk about fish breath…

One of the reasons I asked is because we all seem to be animal nuts who want the best for our babies, plus since a lot of people are in different areas of the US/world, they might have insight to brands I haven’t found in the wheat fields of KS… I have done internet research until I think my eyeballs are going to fall out!

Thanks for the suggestions, because I haven’t heard the name of that food before that I can recall, but I get spacey sometimes, and I may have overlooked it…

Plus, I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to cause a furor…

Rusti
                    Participant

I don’t think you caused a furor, we just had a misunderstanding is all.

Honestly, if that food works for your dog, I’d just stick with it as opposed to doing more trials and standing the chance of having a hairless pooch again, but that’s just my opinion.

Like I said, good luck with your hunt, if you go through with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.