fbpx

Creatures/Petz/Sims/Video Games

Home Forums Miscellany Community Creatures/Petz/Sims/Video Games

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Did anyone here ever play this game or one of it’s sequels? (They were for the PC) I’m pretty sure that the first game, Creatures 1, was released in 1996.

Creatures 1

Creatures 2

Creatures 3

omg!.. my uncle had that on his pc, and i remember playing when i was younger. never knew what it was called tho lol. didnt get to play it very much tho, i barely remember anything from it 😆

OMG! I loved that game. I think I had creatures 1 when I was a kid. 😀

Thrippa
    Participant

I had the second one, but there was something about I I never could ‘get’. I’d do everything the way is was recommended, but the creatures would just die, or refuse to eat, or something. It was bad enough that I decided the installation must have glitched, and reinstalled it, but the second one was the same way. (If I recall correctly you could teach them names of items, and I’d train and train to say ‘ball’ for the ball, for instance, then suddenly the only word the thing knew would be ‘treh’ or something – a partial word ‘tree’ that had no relation to the one we’d been working on.) I kept thinking it would be a really neat game if it just worked!

Thrippa wrote:

I had the second one, but there was something about I I never could ‘get’. I’d do everything the way is was recommended, but the creatures would just die, or refuse to eat, or something. It was bad enough that I decided the installation must have glitched, and reinstalled it, but the second one was the same way. (If I recall correctly you could teach them names of items, and I’d train and train to say ‘ball’ for the ball, for instance, then suddenly the only word the thing knew would be ‘treh’ or something – a partial word ‘tree’ that had no relation to the one we’d been working on.) I kept thinking it would be a really neat game if it just worked!

YES! Precisely! The Creatures games were the most torturous and addictive games on the planet — completely counterintuitive. I’d always think, “This is ridiculous, but why do I love it so much?” XD

We could also mention Petz in this thread. :yes:

Thrippa
      Participant

I never tried any of the Petz games. I think the reason I gave up on Creatures 2 was because the Sims came out. I still have the whole run of the Sims (1) and expansion packs in my cabinet, and all the Sims 2 running on my computer. I am ignoring Sims 3 because I like the level of complexity in 2 and there are still a whole list of things I haven’t actually DONE yet in that version. (Don’t have as much time as when I was unemployed and/or in college, somehow.)

Thrippa wrote:

I never tried any of the Petz games. I think the reason I gave up on Creatures 2 was because the Sims came out. I still have the whole run of the Sims (1) and expansion packs in my cabinet, and all the Sims 2 running on my computer. I am ignoring Sims 3 because I like the level of complexity in 2 and there are still a whole list of things I haven’t actually DONE yet in that version. (Don’t have as much time as when I was unemployed and/or in college, somehow.)

I bought The Sims 3, (my first Sims game) but I’ve been too busy to use it. I’ve played my
        fair share of simulation games growing up, but never any which centered around virtual people. I know that The Sims 2 had a lot of expansion packs, so I figured I’d wait for more Sims 3 expansion packs to be released. Has anyone played The Sims 3? Does it live up to the hype?

Pegasi1978
        Participant

I remember Catz and Dogz! I think I even still have a CD for Catz somewhere.

pegasi1978 wrote:

I remember Catz and Dogz! I think I even still have a CD for Catz somewhere.

I wonder which one you have. :scratch: From Petz 3 onwards, the petz could breed an produce unique offspring. It was a really brilliant piece of software, and the very best virtual life program I’ve tried. All hail PF Magic! 8)

Pegasi1978
          Participant

I don’t think the Catz could breed. I certainly don’t remember that happening.

A Catz 1 calico kitten from 1995:

Note the simpler design and less advanced graphics. Only catz in Catz 1 look this way. From Catz 2 onwards, the games used the more complex and highly detailed designs with improved graphics pictured below. It wasn’t until Catz 3 and Dogz 3 however, that the petz could breed and produce unique offspring.

A mixed breed catz:

A picture of the original Catz 3 box with exclusive plush:

Has anyone here tried The Sims 3? :scratch:

siberakh1
            Participant

I had Catz or Catz2 that a friend loaded on my computer in college. I had some extra game codes added, so I had different breeds than the game came with. My Catz were a Russian Blue and a Maine Coon. I think I still have he game on disk somewhere!

In 1996, PF Magic released Oddballz. Has anyone here played it? :scratch:

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/72/Oddballs_(game).png[/img]

I loved this game as a kid. 😀

[img]http://www.classicamiga.com/images/stories/jreviews/games/S/artwork/simant(magazineadvert).jpg[/img]

Thrippa
              Participant

SimAnt was great until I figured out how to win it. Every time. After that, I was never creative enough with the experimental mode to keep me interested.

SimLife, now, THAT one I actually just bought a new copy of, since mine was on 3.5 floppy and I no longer have a computer with a floppy drive. Design a world (percentages of water, mountains, temperature range, seasons, etc), line up the physics, call up either a pre-designed zoo of animals and plants or design some or all from scratch, and then try to set up a balanced ecosystem. Or an unbalanced ecosystem, using food carts to feed and walls to keep out predators. As it’s a SIm game you can then unleash disaster on your planet – disease, comet, or, best of all, Civilization( a bulldozer runs all over the screen, flattening your plants and animals at random and leaving houses behind). I dearly wish they’d update it. I had high hopes for Spore but it turned out to have too little similarity when it was finally released.

My favorite game on the old computer was one where I had established the plants, and herbivores (primarily ‘gerbils’ and ‘zebras’) and was trying to add ‘Tigers’ to the mix. I released 25 tigers, ran the simulation forward a year, and had one left. Called up the cause of death chart and found out that 2 had died of thirst, 1 had starved to death and the other 21 had been eaten! Turned out that some of my gerbils had mutated to eat meat, as well as fruit and seeds. :scratch: This when I discovered that although I could find out how many gerbils this was (12 out of 394), there was no way to locate a critter with a particular attribute – I had to pause the game and go through the map gerbil by gerbil until I found all the errant beasties and doctored their genes back to fruits and seeds. I eventually did get the tigers established in the north, and ‘cheetahs’ hunting the zebra in the south.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.