fbpx

Contemplation over Color Themes

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Contemplation over Color Themes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I know I haven’t been painting PYO’s long enough to say I’m quite experienced, but I feel odd that I have not come up with any new color schemes because everybody wants my first, but it hasn’t hurt my sales really.

Do you have an opinion about these color themes other artists sell and one of a kinds? Like would you rather have a ‘tabby tiger griffin’ or an original, different but still a tiger-type color scheme all to yourself? If a non-windstone staff artist painted a limited number of the same PYO sculpt do you think it looses value if no more will be painted of that color or would you rather see one made and then commissions open for that color at/close to it’s winning bid price from the first’s auction? OR, do you think that if you commissioned a one of a kind PYO that the artist shouldn’t paint another identical/very similar piece on the same animal? (though if you gave the artist a piece of art/design to reference from that is copyrighted to you they wouldn’t have the right to reproduce the same theme anyways)

For me I want to expel all the creative ideas I have in my head, setting aside/recording the colors I used for each theme, and auction them off. Then open commissions for a select few of whatever themes people want (and I don’t mind painting again) after I run out of new theme ideas, giving everyone a wider selection to choose what they really like at the same price the winning bidder won it at. Does anybody object to that?

frozendragon
    Participant

I mostly do OOAK’s.. but I have done the same theme a few times.. there’s no way to get them identical if you’re hand painting each one anyway..

but if I do more than one of a theme.. I number them…

that’s what I do

To expand on my vote, I often will ask an artist for a version of a previously done design, usually just changing color schemes but maintaining the original look that I liked in the first place. Your wolf for example, I love it, I would love to see it done with the same base color but purples instead of the greens, not that the greens aren’t gorgous, I just think it would look good in purple too and would love to see it.

Kyrin

Kyrin wrote:

To expand on my vote, I often will ask an artist for a version of a previously done design, usually just changing color schemes but maintaining the original look that I liked in the first place. Your wolf for example, I love it, I would love to see it done with the same base color but purples instead of the greens, not that the greens aren’t gorgous, I just think it would look good in purple too and would love to see it.

Kyrin

Lol, funny that you would mention that. Dragonfeathers already has me doing a purple version to match her Everglade Griffin. Unfortunately I can’t take commissions right now because of an overload in digital commissions (50 or so big pieces) that need attention. But wait and see how the purple griffin turns out in a few months and we can discuss how you like it and what you’d rather have changed after I figure out my new prices =3

Laurie
      Participant

I’m fussy, so I like to see it first. :shrug:

frozendragon wrote:

I mostly do OOAK’s.. but I have done the same theme a few times.. there’s no way to get them identical if you’re hand painting each one anyway..

that’s what I do

Do you know that you are going to do more than one in the same theme? I wouldn’t be sure after selling the first, so would it be smart just have to leave it unnumbered and only start numbering ‘copies’ from #2 on?

frozendragon
        Participant

Nuke wrote:

frozendragon wrote:

that’s what I do

Do you know that you are going to do more than one in the same theme? I wouldn’t be sure after selling the first, so would it be smart just have to leave it unnumbered and only start numbering ‘copies’ from #2 on?

that’s exactly what I did.. I didn’t know I was going to make another one.. so when I signed the first one.. I didn’t number it.. but I numbered the others…

siberakh1
          Participant

I don’t mind purchasing a piece either way and I’m not inclined to choose something just because it is OOAK over 1 of 10 or open edition. I go for what speaks to me and what I like and would enjoy seeing every day for XX amount of money. I didn’t vote, since none of the choices really fits how I purchase.

As for painting, I don’t mind doing OOAK is that is requested, though it hasn’t happened yet. I have painted 3 cheetah griffins thus far (though one is on one of the old prototype pyos), so there is some variation. I have done one dragon that I made two of, but added some variation with eye and stone color. As long as a request isn’t for say, I want the only tiger griffin that you ever do (since stripes, color, wing design, eyes, etc. can vary greatly) or something like, your only dun colored pyo unicorn, since they would greatly restrict anything I might want to do later on and they are patterns/colors found naturally. Now if someone said, I want the only dun pyo unicorn you do, with purple interference in the mane and tail and green eyes, sure. Does that make sense?

siberakh1 wrote:

I don’t mind purchasing a piece either way and I’m not inclined to choose something just because it is OOAK over 1 of 10 or open edition. I go for what speaks to me and what I like and would enjoy seeing every day for XX amount of money. I didn’t vote, since none of the choices really fits how I purchase.

As for painting, I don’t mind doing OOAK is that is requested, though it hasn’t happened yet. I have painted 3 cheetah griffins thus far (though one is on one of the old prototype pyos), so there is some variation. I have done one dragon that I made two of, but added some variation with eye and stone color. As long as a request isn’t for say, I want the only tiger griffin that you ever do (since stripes, color, wing design, eyes, etc. can vary greatly) or something like, your only dun colored pyo unicorn, since they would greatly restrict anything I might want to do later on and they are patterns/colors found naturally. Now if someone said, I want the only dun pyo unicorn you do, with purple interference in the mane and tail and green eyes, sure. Does that make sense?

Yes that makes sense, and I agree with you. I am similar to buying other’s work as well, though I only realized that after making the poll and now I can’t edit it ^^;

siberakh1
            Participant

Nuke wrote:

siberakh1 wrote:

Yes that makes sense, and I agree with you. I am similar to buying other’s work as well, though I only realized that after making the poll and now I can’t edit it ^^;

Although, as a thought that I didn’t think to add above, if I were doing something that I knew would definitely be OOAK, either by request, personal dislike to have to paint another like it (maybe due to difficulty), etc., I would mark it as OOAK on the bottom felt pad. If I know ahead of time I’m making more than one or probably will (or a very close variant), I mark them all with a #. For pieces that I didn’t realize I’d be making more than one of, the first one isn’t numbered, but all subsequent ones are. If I were planning on doing 5, I would mark them x/5 or x of 5.

Skigod377
              Participant

I like to see what im getting up front. I did luck out with the commision I got from Arlla… the tabby griffin. I still look at old pics of him and wish someone had bought the orange one instead… but for the most part, I like to see it first. That way I know i’ll love it.

Kujacker
                Participant

Depends for me. If I commission a piece, I like it to be ooak. Like, if I say “I want this”, and the artist has never done anything like that before, I would want it to be a ooak. However, if I like the, already twice or so painted piece, I would buy it; ooak or not. Same with something painted the same just in different colors.

I love purple… I’d totally take a purple everglade gryphon.

Maria
                  Participant

I think I’ve got Kujacker’s opinion. There are pieces that are so beautiful in a color scheme – like Autumn Leaf or your Everglade – that I just want to see them over and over and over again.

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

Personally, I usually go all crazy when I see a new PYO somnody just painted and I’m completely guilty of going ” OMG! I WANT ONE JUST LIKE THAT!!!” and I also have had people ask me the same, for things I’ve painted.

It’s already impossible to make them identical so doing the same design over doesn’t bother me and I don’t tell anyone their PYO will be OOAK in the first place. If someone REQUESTED it to be OOAK and never duplicated then it might be a different story, but nobody has ever requested that of me. If they did I might toss in the loop hole that I can make one similar, but not the same. That way it wouldn’t really harm any future commissions.

I don’t really number any of my pieces unless I know there wil be more then one. Just my Diablo PYOs have been numbered so far, but no set limit was ever decided. I’m sure I’ll never get up to 10 though 😀

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.