fbpx

Brushing up for PYO's

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Brushing up for PYO's

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I wont be able to get my two first PYO’s until the weekend after the one upcoming, so being sick and house riddened and itching to get myself prepared and perfected, I took a look at my old two dragon candle holder I bought when I was little. Made in China, poorly painted with no signature, no company brand, looking dusty and old; it was pleading for a makeover to keep rather than dispence in a garage sale (unless someone REALLY wants it when I’m done).
    So after a few hours trying to paint in every knook and cranny this is the progress so far on the first dragon. It’s sloppy now, but that’s just the base color and the brush had a hard time reaching places, though the mane is more refined with silver iredescence.

I’d like to know how sloppy are some of you when you’re just putting down the first colors on your PYO? Is it perfection to the end or does it really affect the areas you slopped on?

Don’t let the blur fool you on this one. The original eyes are cheap plastic red jewels and I took the first pair off -well, eye, as it was missing one- to paint gold inside. The sculpter had put grotesque warts on these guy’s faces that didn’t settle with me, so I took the chisel and hammered away and sanded, accidentally taking a tooth off, whoops.

Skigod377
    Participant

I was very sloppy. Ended up leaving tiny spots of white. Now I think I will have a colored base coat so there is no white poking through. I save the nit-picky stay-in the -lines painting for the last coat.

WIP update: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4/6298/dragon_wip.png

A coat of metallics everywhere (save for the wings and claws) and captured in the sunset. Heavy critique is welcomed; hell I know the dragon’s ugly to start with, but it helps to make something worthwhile to state an opinion about ๐Ÿ™‚
      I should have done the first coat of shading before posting again, but the belly scales’ contrast with the body is disturbing me and I want to tackle it at the same time. Any suggestions of how to make it part of the body more?

Maria
      Participant

It’s looking good. I’m not sure I’d do anything to the body, unless you want to shade the red into the mint green… ๐Ÿ˜• Naw, I’d leave it.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

It’s looking good. I’m not sure I’d do anything to the body, unless you want to shade the red into the mint green… ๐Ÿ˜• Naw, I’d leave it.

Thanks for the comment ^^ I was thinking perhaps gould would do into the pearl/jade but maybe he just needs a good antiquing.

skigod377 wrote:

I was very sloppy. Ended up leaving tiny spots of white. Now I think I will have a colored base coat so there is no white poking through. I save the nit-picky stay-in the -lines painting for the last coat.

Yeah most of the hours spent on this guy is just trying to reach inside all the hard spots to get a basic coat overtop. Even if it’s a thin one a base coat is good to start with on anything (especially canvases).

Lesson learned: Don’t ever paint something so complicated EVER AGAIN. This is being adopted by a good friend of mine, hope he likes it.

Purplecat
        Participant

Ouch on detail! Absolutely gorgeous! I would have went nuts!

It definately looks better than before.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.