fbpx

ANYTHING BUT SPIDERS!!!

Home Forums Miscellany Community ANYTHING BUT SPIDERS!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    drag0nfeathers
    Participant

Okay so my sister and I bought this house a while back in the beginning of last year and it’s been HORRIBLE as far as “pests” go.

We had mice first, which I didn’t mind. We used live no kill traps and just let them loose in a field down the street whenever we caught a few and after a while our cats scared the rest off.

After that it was ants! Not especially bad, but they attacked our dog and cat food for a few days and I had to buy some of that Ortho home defense stuff and get rid of those!

Then we had really bad fleas this summer, even though we had frontlined all our pets like we do every year. Terminex had to come out and do their stuff and bomb and spray all the rooms of the house because they were just especially bad this year for some reason.

Well, our deal with Terminex is that they come out every 3 months for the next year and spray around the outside of our house so we have one of those “bug barriers” seeing we keep getting unwanted critters.

NOW!!! I have a nest of Brown Recluse Spiders in my house! I caught one and it’s in a Pepsi bottle. It ended up dieing shortly after we caught it cause it was in the bathtub while washing my dog when it was found and I don’t think it was doing too well with the soap and everything. I compared the pictures online and it’s most assuredly a “violin” or a “fiddler” spider, which is a Brown Recluse! Apparently POISONING attracts them to homes because they are abundant in dead insects for them to feed on. My only problem (besides being deathly afraid of spiders) is they they are poisonous! Their bites cause all sorts of health issues! Rare cases death, but horrible infections that can cause necrosis of the skin and underlying tissue! In some cases leading to amputation if nothing is done.

I’m so FREAKED OUT!!! I don’t wanna even be in my house! 😯 The one I caught had HUGE fangs!! *whines*

Got a busted Windstone?
      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
      Siphlophis Male Dragon
      Calypso Hatching Empress
      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
      Tattoo Mother Kirin
      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

Got a busted Windstone?
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Tattoo Mother Kirin

Relax, call Terminex and show them the spider and let them know the spider brought friends and you would like them out.

I’ve dealt with Brown recluse bites, not pretty. My puppy got bit right under the collar near her larynx, all the tissue died in a 2 inch by 3 inch area going about 1.25 inches deep, it took a month to heal. She ended up with a scar the size of a quarter where no fur would ever grow again.

She was also sick from the infection for over a week until the venom’s effects faded a bit. Poor girl.

Not to freak you further, but I agree that they need to be removed from your home immediately, you really don’t want to be bit by one of these spiders…the damage they do is severe.

*hugs* Hang in there, I got jumped on by it’s bigger cousin the Hobo earlier this morning, I admit and freaked and smashed it. Considering the severe damage and pain to my hand one did last year and making my daughter so sick she was hospitalized and had to have surgery, I want nothing to do with any Hobo spiders.

Kyrin

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

Oh MAN!!! When I was trying to figure out what kind of spider it was I looked up Hobo Spiders too! They’re no joke either!

I was wriggling around in my computer chair the whole time and I kept twitching and smacking myself like they were crawling on me. EEK!!!

I’m glad your daughter and puppy pulled through. I was afraid my dog got bitten since he was in the tub with it, but I can’t seem to find any bites, but his fur is SO THICK. He’s been acting just fine though and it’s been about 24 hours now so I think he was VERY lucky and it must have been in the tub or the drain and had been already stunned by the hot water and soap.

I called Terminex this morning and they said I must be mistaken because they aren’t from around these areas, but I insisted they come down and look at the one I caught so I’m waiting for them now. It may have even come in a box since I get them here all the time from all over the place, but still. I know they’re not unheard of around here either. I think the Terminex guy just thinks I’m just an idiot. I can be dumb sometimes, I admit…but not about stuff like this. I know animals and it doesn’t take a genius to compare pictures to the real thing.

Got a busted Windstone?
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Tattoo Mother Kirin

Yes, call terminex, they will come right out…

Adaneth
          Participant

Gah. Give me mice and ants anyday. Confused bats, voles, shrews, a couple small snakes…rather have that than such poisonous biters. 😡

Good luck, and I hope the guy has a quick solution for you!

dragonmedley
            Participant

😯 Man, you’re out of luck!

Did I ever tell you guys about the time a bat woke us up in the middle of the night? Nothing like getting slapped by bat wings to wake you up.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

what no Spiders but they are cute and eat insurance mascots 😈

Heather
              Participant

GAAHH! Necronnn! 😯 I could have gone a long time without knowing that there were spiders out there that big. Not to mention that it’s built like a freakin’ Sherman tank–now I’m going to be imagining spiders with legs strong enough to tear through window screens. 😉 bleaarrrgh . . . .

OK I live in the country and I HATE spiders. I could have gone my whole life without that picture. What is that?????

I will have nightmares tonight. 😥

Leigha
                Participant

that is such an awesome spider @.@

what kind of spider is that?

Laurie
                  Participant

Yeah he showed me that picture last night and I told him it needed to be smashed because spiders that big just shouldn’t be. He asked me what I was going to smash it with, a bullet?

Leigha wrote:

that is such an awesome spider @.@

what kind of spider is that?

its a camel spider , they are more related to scorpions that actual spiders ( even though they are both arachnids ) because they dont spin webs …this is actually smaller with a small lizard in its mouth it was taken close up to make it look huge 😛 … Yea Wikipedia , and Snopes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae

Heather
                    Participant

Eeew. I guess . . . so long as it’s not located on my continent, I’ll be OK. I don’t think it’s native to the US. Please say it’s not native to the US. (I mean that particular species, the one in the photo. I already know that the things we called sun spiders, or “HOLY FRICK WHAT IS THAT?!” are indeed native to the US. But even sun spiders aren’t as squicky as the critter in that photo! :P)

And for what it’s worth, I try to live and let live and all that, but if I saw a spider-ish thing like that I would go and find my shovel. Wham! 😈

nessiemom
                      Participant

If it crosses the threshold… it’s dead meat!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.