fbpx

Anyone interested in a Repainted Hippogriff?-$Sold

Home Forums Administration Flea Market Anyone interested in a Repainted Hippogriff?-$Sold

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Also, thank you for the compliments you all sent me, I really do appreciate it so much! ๐Ÿ˜‰

littleironhorse
    Participant

WOW, can’t wait ’till you start posting pictures of the PYOs!

Elena
      Participant

Wow!! that candle lamp is GORGEOUS!!! I can’t wait to see pictures of your PYOs!

Jennifer
        Keymaster

Did you paint over his eyes? That’s kinda weird!

Karen is our hugely multi-tasking nice office lady at the Windstone factory. ๐Ÿ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Thanks guys! I am anxious to get the PYO’s as well! I hope I can work out some trades and such with other collectors and artists out there who might like my paint jobs. I was telling someone earlier that I have been into painting horses for so long, my mind is set on “realism”, so getting my mind into that fantasy land where the color of a Ki-Rin for example is limited only by one’s imagination, may be a challenge at first.

I enjoyed painting the Hippogriff, but was kinda bummed about the texture of the sculpture. He has that “sculpture/rock” type texture that was kinda a buzzkill on the finished piece. Do the PYO’s have that kind of texture or are they smooth? In the photos I’ve been seeing they look real smooth but I’ve never seen one in person. I’m looking forward to playing around with the same blend of mixed media that I used on the hippogriff with the PYO’s.

Soooo…..be honest, what do you guys think about the concept of repainting the Windstone eye? Good…or…not so much? Wasn’t sure how that was going to go down with the Winstone collectors. The only reason I did though was just because the red didn’t look very nice I thought.

Do you think he is too metallic? I am into metallics as I like the glow and vibrance they give the piece, but I know in the model horse world a lot of people don’t like metallic undertones. Just curious as to how Windstone people feel about it.

Nambroth wrote:

Did you paint over his eyes? That’s kinda weird! ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeeaaah, I did. Looking for opinions on that concept actually, be it good or bad, mainly so I know whether or not I should “waste?” my time doing that again. I just really did not like the red eye ball.

littleironhorse
          Participant

I hadn’t even noticed the first time. I think it looks good, very real, but a question… Since it’s painted over glass, isn’t likely to flake off over time?

I liked it in the first post. Welcome to the forum by the way. Congrats Emerald.

littleironhorse wrote:

I hadn’t even noticed the first time. I think it looks good, very real, but a question… Since it’s painted over glass, isn’t likely to flake off over time?

I was concerned about that as well. I primed the eyes in order for the new paint to adhere better. Then after I painted them I put 4 layers of a triple thick paint on gloss on top of it. Unless you take your fingernail and *try* to scrape it off, it should be ok.

Participant

That is a totally awsome paint job. I personally like more color (rainbow anyone?), but this scheme really shows the piece off well. Well done!

Arlla
              Participant

That’s just GORGEOUS! I’m very sad that I didn’t see it sooner!! >_< Would you be interested in doing another one on commission?

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
                -J R R Tolkien

I loved the realistic eyes. Go for it!

Skigod377
                Participant

Dang Emerald!! CURSE YOU!!! Thats TWICE you have beat me… I will win one yet… ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

UnicornLvr wrote:

Thanks guys! I am anxious to get the PYO’s as well! I hope I can work out some trades and such with other collectors and artists out there who might like my paint jobs. I was telling someone earlier that I have been into painting horses for so long, my mind is set on “realism”, so getting my mind into that fantasy land where the color of a Ki-Rin for example is limited only by one’s imagination, may be a challenge at first.

I enjoyed painting the Hippogriff, but was kinda bummed about the texture of the sculpture. He has that “sculpture/rock” type texture that was kinda a buzzkill on the finished piece. Do the PYO’s have that kind of texture or are they smooth? In the photos I’ve been seeing they look real smooth but I’ve never seen one in person. I’m looking forward to playing around with the same blend of mixed media that I used on the hippogriff with the PYO’s.

Soooo…..be honest, what do you guys think about the concept of repainting the Windstone eye? Good…or…not so much? Wasn’t sure how that was going to go down with the Winstone collectors. The only reason I did though was just because the red didn’t look very nice I thought.

Do you think he is too metallic? I am into metallics as I like the glow and vibrance they give the piece, but I know in the model horse world a lot of people don’t like metallic undertones. Just curious as to how Windstone people feel about it.

PYOs are very detailed and do not have the stone texture. They are a pleasure to paint!
                    You did a great job on the eye but personally it’s not my cup of tea, I think because I like seeing the depth to the glass eyes (this is one thing that attracted me to Windstones in the first place) and that is sort of lost on the convex painted surface of the eye.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

Jodi
                    Participant

Yeah. I’m not sure about the glass eye either, but I’ll hold my judgement until I see it in person. If it looks funky, I might scrape it off (sorry Unicornlvr) and go back to the red eye.

I’ve made a place on my geek shelving for it and Water’s wolf. I’m pretty excited to get these.

Sorry, Ski. I’ll let you have the next one. I’m broke now anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.