fbpx

Any newbie tips?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Any newbie tips?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kiya
    Participant

My husband bought my first two PYOs for me for my birthday. I’ve painted statues of other types before, but these guys are bigger and more detailed than anything I’ve understaken!

Went and bought brushes tonight. Will be ordering paint this weekend.

Any tips or things to watch out for as a novice? πŸ™‚

fatalbeauty
      Participant

I ended up buying a cake stand to turn mine around when my wrist would get tired and or to be able to shift the piece around so I could see it from many angles by moving around a little rather than having it sitting just on a table…

4 things I'm looking for:
        1. Mother Meerkat
        2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF, Brimstone would be awesome!
        3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
        4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Hannah
        Participant

If you decide you want to antique the piece that you paint, make sure that you spray it once with a clear topcoat and let that dry completely first! Antiquing involves putting paint on the piece and then “rubbing” it off with a slightly damp sponge or cloth, and if there’s no extra protection on the piece before you do it, you could rub off some of the underlying paint job πŸ™

That’s my biggest tip XD

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
          Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Kiya
          Participant

Any type of clear topcoat that works best?

I’ve done washes before, but not antiquing.

Also, have you ever used ink washes? I got some ink for a couple other projects and it worked well, but not sure how the gypsum would take it.

Danzig Moon (Karen)
            Participant

There is a vidio on youtube that showes how to antiquing. There is a person who walks you right threw it. Pretty cool.

*** Always looking for Brindles..*** AWD Pieces **** Lavender Coiled Mother with Globe**** if you have one you would like to sell or trade please contact me ?

WolfenMachine
              Participant

Something different works for everyone πŸ™‚ Me personally, I set mine on styrofoam plates-that way if I get paint on it, no problem, I can just throw it away. Since the plates are light weight, it makes moving the statue when its still wet easier-I just put one finger on its head or horn and another hand under the plate/statue if I need to move it.

And also don’t thin your paint with water-it can crack and dry out-and do *NOT* do not do NOT use acetone to remove paint from your Windstone-it *will* eat away at the gypsum and cause it to be soft and squishy O.O

I’m not an expert, so I’ll leave the other advice to those that are πŸ˜‰

Kiya
                Participant

I’m putting my supply list together pretty much from Jennifer’s post on the brand names thread. πŸ™‚ No water to thin with. πŸ™‚

I have a phoenix and a small dragon. I can’t decide which to start with!

Hannah
                  Participant

I like Design Master Clear Gloss spray – it comes in a spray can and will last you quite a few sculptures. I think I’ve bought maybe 4 cans total since I started painting Windstones.

I’ve never used an ink wash before so I especially dont know how it would turn out on gypsum! I do know that the first coat of paint on gypsum is often soaked in pretty well so if it’s as liquidy as it sounds it may not work very well on the first coat at least!

It is OK to dilute your paints with a LITTLE bit of water – if you get heavy body paints and want to thin them a lot you shouldn’t use water, but if you’re just looking to moisten it for a little detail then water is fine. I use it in very small amounts with the paints I use on all of my sculptures.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                    Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

Small amounts of water to thin heavy acrylics is okay. πŸ™‚ It’s just that if you use too much water, you stretch the polymer bonds of the paint too thin and it can lead to (long term and/or short term) problems with adhesion and peeling/cracking.

I haven’t heard of anyone trying an ink wash on a PYO yet. I imagine it will react similarly to watercolor– the gypusm is VERY thirsty and will absorb liquids like a rock sponge. It also absorbs them somewhat irregularly and can lead to blotchiness. However it might be a fun experiment!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                      My art: featherdust.com

Kiya
                      Participant

I was figuring to try the ink at the same point I would antiquing – after a top coat is on. Might help with the absorbtion.

Ordering paints tomorrow!

Kiya
                        Participant

Paints are on their way! Whoo! Color scheme picked for the phoenix and working on it for the dragon.

Was anyone else nervous about starting their first PYO?

littleironhorse
                          Participant

I actually have everything ready, but can’t seem to find the resolve to start… :8)

Kiya
                            Participant

You’re in good company! It took me a week to buy paint (my husband gave me a gift certificate as part of my birthday present). Now, I’m relieved it’s going to take 2 weeks to get here!

Then I wonder how long it will sit…

Kelly
                              Participant

LOL. Being a complete novice, and having only the guidence of this forum, I can relate. I was so excited about my first pyo piece. I had all my paints and tools I was going to use. I even planed out a color scheme on paper scribbled out for myself, before the piece arrived. *Because after all this is a Windstone I’m going to be painting!* The piece came and I kid you not, I sat at my table holding it and turning it around in my hand looking at all the angles and detail. Thinking, where do I start? I eventualy started the piece then I didnt stop! I think my husband had to pull the brush out of my hand and tell me its not a race!
                                Well after several pieces, I admit I have picked up more knowledge and have a lot more paitence. I’ve been painting two pieces off and on for over a few months now. I think the advice I can offer you is learn to relax, paint is forgiving, and have fun with it. πŸ™‚

syfyboy13
                                Participant

This isn’t my post, but thanks for the comments! This forum is really helpful for stuff like this!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.