fbpx

Any Model Horse Artists in the PYO Windstone World Yet??

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Any Model Horse Artists in the PYO Windstone World Yet??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Anyone….Anyone??? I *did* notice that Heather Tarr’s name was mentioned in a few threads but I haven’t noticed anyone else. Anyone know if she is a member on the forum?? Just curious. πŸ˜€

Anyway..I’m a fairly new collector within the world of Windstone. I’ve been collecting not even a year yet! I found out about PYO’s a few months ago while browsing eBay and I’m pretty excited about getting some in for me to paint.

I paint and sell model horses (like Breyer and artist resin sculptures), and was just curious to see if there were any other model horse artists (and model horse collectors) on here yet.

If anyone out there *is* into custom model horses, have you tried showing any of the Windstone equine type creatures yet? Just wondering how they were doing in the showring if so. With the new fantasy classes being able to NAN quality in workmanship, I’m hoping that Windstone will give us a PYO Unicorn, Pegasus and/or Hippogriff! (if you’re not into model horses I apologize as that previous statement will make zero sense to you). The PYO’s are so affordably priced compared to artist resins and no one in our hobby has really come out with a great fantasy-equid resin yet.

Glad to have found this forum! I’ve been browsing it some inbetween the coats of paint on my custom model horses (I stay up all night and paint). πŸ˜› I hope to get to know some of you collectors more, you all seem so friendly and your PYO’s are so lovely!! It kills me how well some of you handpaint!

Smiles,
    Jeanette πŸ˜‰

Skigod377
    Participant

Lady Brooklyn paints model horses http://www.windstoneeditions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1680

I think Whippet does too. I bought Heather Tarrs Ki-rin. Welcome to the forum πŸ™‚

Starbreeze
      Participant

Welcome to the forum. I collect some Breyer model horses. πŸ˜€

Thanks for the welcome ski ands starbreeze, much appreciated. Glad that you got Heather’s Ki-Rin ski. I thought he looked really nice but was bummed about the fact that it was zebra-esque as I had that same idea in my head when I ordered mine. So now it’s gonna look like I copied if I decide to paint it that way!! πŸ˜₯

LadyBrooklyn’s stuff is really nice, thanks for that link! I checked out some of her past ebay auctions. I liked that Nakota! The three newbie Breyer molds are such a blast to paint I think.

Nice to see some other breyer/model horse artists into windstones too. πŸ˜€

Skigod377
        Participant

UnicornLvr wrote:

Thanks for the welcome ski ands starbreeze, much appreciated. Glad that you got Heather’s Ki-Rin ski. I thought he looked really nice but was bummed about the fact that it was zebra-esque as I had that same idea in my head when I ordered mine. So now it’s gonna look like I copied if I decide to paint it that way!! πŸ˜₯

Im sure it will be fine. Lots of folks have the same ideas around here, but they all end up being different. I say go for it!!

UnicornLvr wrote:

LadyBrooklyn’s stuff is really nice, thanks for that link! I checked out some of her past ebay auctions. I liked that Nakota! The three newbie Breyer molds are such a blast to paint I think.

You’re welcome! I love her stuff, though the auctions went too high for me πŸ˜† I better stick to my Windstones.

UnicornLvr wrote:

Nice to see some other breyer/model horse artists into windstones too. πŸ˜€

There are quite a few on here, though I cant remember them all. Lots do custom My Little Pony, too. I think Whippet did one recently that was quite creepy… I will post a link…creepy pony

OMG that pony is somethin’ naaassstttyyy. (but in a good, artistic way) πŸ˜‰ Sometimes it takes a lot of talent to make something look so very bad, hehe.

I love the custom my little ponies, but the inability to rehair keeps me away from getting into it myself. One day I’d like to have some Harry Potter ponies made, like Gryffindor and Slytherin themed. πŸ˜€

Skigod377
          Participant

Now that would be neat. Do you have a website with pics of your work? Im sure we would love to see!! I know I would. I adore horses but dont have room for another hobby… esp not one with soooo many to choose from 😯

Jennifer
            Keymaster

Welcome! Melody has a PYO unicorn in progress, and I think she intends to do a pegasus and a hippogryph at some point too, all though it is uncertain when we will see any of these. She said that a dragon takes her over a year to complete, and then they have to work out all the casting problems, so I’m thinking it may be a while.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Yes, I’ll hook ya up with my webshots album. I also have a website but it has not been updated since like 2005 and I’m terribly embarrassed of it.

Webshots:
              http://community.webshots.com/user/mako864

I have one windstone in there, a hippogriff, which I need to sell or trade…or somethin’. Tired of lookin’ at him. I got him as a body from a model horse collector. I got him and 2 unicorns that she sold me as bodies and I had planned on repainting to sell later. But I read on here somewhere that Windstone doesn’t want that to happen so much, so I’d like to get these gone and then I won’t repaint the non PYO’s anymore. The unicorns I can actually probably keep and show in the Fantasy classes at model horse shows. I’ll probably just do that. But the Hippogriff since he’s holding a discus thing won’t work well in live showing.

But anyway, he’s my first repaint of a Windstone, so critiques welcome be it good or bad. πŸ˜‰

Awesome! SO GLAD to hear that a PYO Unicorn is in progress! *happy dance!* πŸ˜›

Skigod377
              Participant

Great horses! I love that hippogriff, by the way, so if you are looking to sell it, let me know!! Your site looks Awesome!!! I adore paints and that little froliking colt (under my customs and resins) is adorable!!

Welcome!
                I actually paint horses for a living, and am a Breyer/Peter Stone/HR/Schylling and possibly Windstone’s dealer. A customer of mine pointed me towards Windstones, and I just got my first PYO about a week ago. I’m thinking about taking him to a show that’s March 3rd, but I don’t know if there’s any fantasy stuff at it or not. I do know that some folks have shown the Pegasus with success in the fantasy divisions.

All the research I did into Breyer and how serious the whole paintig this is kinda leaves me cold. I did buy 3 models to paint but now am not sure if I will. I don’t think I could get near the smoothness all the other painters achieve. It seems like a huge other wolrd…especially when you consider they actually have special shows and create saddles and bridles and everythng to scale for them, etc etc. I also have a couple MLPs I want to paint and may just have someone else do the hair for me, or create solid sculpy hair…or just make a set of reindeer and forgo hair at all!

Thanks for your compliments on the work, I really do appreciate it. πŸ™‚ Yep, I put the hippogriff up for sale in the sales forum. Hoping to find a buyer before I have to resort to FeeBay. I like the frolic foals but my favorite mold out right now is the new warmblood called Keltec Salinero. Mostly because of who sculpted him. It is from a german artist named Brigette Eberl and just luv her horse sculptures. πŸ˜‰

Hey bluepony…yep same here. I would like 40% of my income comes from painting customs and artist resins. The rest is a mix of flat work, various other commissions of an artistic nature (like logo designs and such) and murals. πŸ˜›

Yeah in my region there was a lady who used to enter her windstone unicorn and pegasus in the fantasy divisions and she would win it almost all the time. But I have not seen her in probably two years. She was the only one in my region who’d pop in a windstone now and then. One of the things that sort of frustrates me though is that even though the fantasy pieces can start NANing now, very few shows in my region offer workmanship divisions. I’m hoping that maybe next year they will start getting more common here. There are only like 2 or 3 shows a year that offer those classes from what I can remember.

Oh and yes Watergazer painting the breyers and resin is definantly in a whole other spectrum. I don’t know any artist that hand paints with acrylics. The ones that hand paint use oils or crushed pastels. Because so many people compete in live showing with the horses it is all pretty competitive IMO. And of course for so many artists it is actually how they make a living. People take it very, very seriously. Not a bad thing, just different. πŸ˜‰

I think if more model horse artists got into painting the windstones it would be awesome because of all the different talents and artistic renditions you’d see, but at the same time the prices on them would probably go up drastically just depending on who painted it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.