fbpx

Airbrushes….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

This may be in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it.

I’m thinking about getting an airbrush. I want to get just a ‘starter’ to see how I like it and how hard it is. I mostly just want it to spray base coats. I don’t really have the $300+ to invest into a compressor & sprayer set up right now….

Any brand or type suggestions? How about stuff to stay away from?
    TIA!

tc_cat333
    Participant

I am kind of interested to kknow as well…

I’m not sure on prices, but the airbrush I have is an Iwata Eclipse something-or-other… the air compressor I have is a Silentaire Scorpion something. Both were gifts, so I can’t help with prices, though I’m sure you’d be able to find em online.

I’m so helpful XD

(by the way, regulators are great things!)

Participant

Quill wrote:

I’m not sure on prices, but the airbrush I have is an Iwata Eclipse something-or-other… the air compressor I have is a Silentaire Scorpion something. Both were gifts, so I can’t help with prices, though I’m sure you’d be able to find em online.

I’m so helpful XD

(by the way, regulators are great things!)

For ignorant of us, what is/how is a regulator used?

I’d start with an Iwata Eclipe if you are serious. They cost about $85 and are super duper easy to keep clean. they break down well, unlike many others. I haven’t tried any other brands, except a Passhe, which I kinda thought was junk…

regulator’s are a must. That way you don’t blow so much air through your airbrush that the paint just flys everwhere. Many compressor’s come with them. Also get a moisure trap. that will keep the water out of your lines. You must empty it(usually pusha button) when you’re done.

If the noise doesn’t bother you, I think the Lowe/Home Depot kinda places have decent compressors for $100 ish. But they are loud. For a nice silent one(a dream, really) they are aroudn $200. I paid $250 for mine. Check eBay.

Iwata is a fantastic brand. I applied to carry them in my shop because they are excellent quality brushes. that’s all I use. I’m not trying to sound like a sales person. I just love my Iwata’s.

SPark
        Participant

My compressor is an Iwata, it’s awesome. I had one from a hardware store before it, very noisy! I like the one I have now better. It’s a sprint jet. Cost me about $150.

If you want a cheap airbrush just to screw around with, I have one that’s a no-name brand from Taiwan or somewhere like that, which I got but never used, because the hose is the wrong size to fit on my compressor, but it did fit the hardware store compressor I had before, and if it doesn’t it’s possible to get a fitting to bridge the gap… I’d sell it pretty cheap.

Andrea
          Participant

Do you use them in the house? My husband bought me a set up with a little compressor and a double action airbrush. I know nothing about them and they’ve been sitting in the boxes since my birthday.
            I don’t know how to use it or what kind of paint or how to clean.
            Pretty silly huh?

Phoenix wrote:

Do you use them in the house? My husband bought me a set up with a little compressor and a double action airbrush. I know nothing about them and they’ve been sitting in the boxes since my birthday.
            I don’t know how to use it or what kind of paint or how to clean.
            Pretty silly huh?

I was wondering the same thing. My bf wants me to get a airbrush, but then I was wondering where I would use it.

I use mine in my bathroom, with the window open and the fan going.

As far as paint goes, I just water down Golden paints and use those. They seem to work pretty well =)

I STRESS the need to clean your airbrush after every use, otherwise it’ll get all nasty and gunked up and then you’ll have to take it apart anyway. And then it’s just a pain to get all the crap out.

Jennifer
            Keymaster

If you use a noisy compressor, please use ear protection. I learned this the hard way. I use ear muffs, but the little ear plugs that look like yellow cylinders work too. Squish them and put them in your ears.

Also, unless you’re airbrushing in the great outdoors, and even then sometimes, consider wearing a respirator mask. I learned this the hard way also. Acrylic paint is non toxic, but ANY particulate can be a carcinogen if breathed too heavily or often!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Thanks for all the advice guys!! I think for now I’m gonna save my money for an Iwata set up. I’d rather wait and get something that will quality…

I’m interested in this too, and sorry I haven’t been around lately guys. My hubby got me a cheapy airbrush for under $10 from a hardware store I can’t recall at the moment. It’s the kind that blows air at the paint or something like that where the paint doesn’t actually go into the brush at all…a type of thing you don’t need to take apart to clean. He got it basically to just test use because I want to attempt to paint my car…I haven’t tried this brush because I haven’t yet gone to a car parts lot to get some scraps and I’m afraid that it’s such a cheap airbrush that it may not perform anything like a “real one” so I may hate it and just give up based on that. I don’t want to say anything to him because he did buy me an art supply, which is a huge deal, but I am honestly afraid that when I do try it…which I must because he bought it for me as a gift, I might hate it and relate that to all air brushes. My only other airbrush experience was from junior high and I hated using it since it sprayed all over the place and had a super load compressor you couldn’t for the life of you talk over.

Anyway, have any of you tried really cheap airbrushes and can relate them to an actual decent model?

Maria
              Participant

Nice to see you on again, Water.

frozendragon
                Participant

I have an airbrush….compressor…and 3 diff kinds of tips…

I’ve been meaning to learn how to use it….but just haven’t had the time….

Anthony tried it out once…..said it was really nice and easy to use…

he painted a few things….and then it’s been just sitting in the box it came in ever since….

and that was last year sometime…. 0_o

oh well….someday…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.