fbpx

A Word about Repaints and OOAKs on PYOs

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone A Word about Repaints and OOAKs on PYOs

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

If something is called One of a Kind, by the artist, it should be kept One of a Kind. If you think you will paint more like it in the future, trying to match it to previous others, then it shouldn’t be called a One of a Kind. That’s part of the allure of buying OOAK, the artist will never make another one like it. Think of what Melody does…if she makes a OOAK paint job, she won’t go back on her word and make more just because someone else wants to buy the same color scheme.

Hand painted is a better term for anything made more than once by the same artist. After all, everything in the Windstone factory is hand painted and each is a little bit different from the others…that doesn’t make each figurine a OOAK.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

I agree with Vantid here.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

I just added to description on all of my current auctions. Future auctions won’t have OOAK.

Maria
      Participant

Thank you all for this discussion. Another thing to think about before I start selling on E-Bay. Thanks for bringing it up, Water!

Arlla
        Participant

Hmmm…This is something I’m curious about, too. But I wonder where the line is…? I have the same opinion on what OOAK means as Nam and Vantid, but I also believe it’s not too cut and dry…For instance, I did a griffin that I sold on ebay…someone commissioned me for one like it, and I painted one that looks EXTREMELY similar, but I added a totally new color to the pattern. That made it different, even though it was a subtle difference. I did this because they wanted tht color, not because I was trying to make it different. But was that difference enough to make each one of a kind??
          Also, I’ve been thinking of doing another snowyowl/snow leopard griff since that one was so popular. I don’t intend to make it exactly like the first one – I won’t be referencing the first one at all if I paint a new one. It will be the same color combo but it WILL turn out somewhat differently. Will it be OOAK???
          If I paint another hoopoe griffin, but with a leopard butt instead of a cheetah butt, will that be OOAK?

I think so…but what do you guys think?

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
          -J R R Tolkien

Hmmm
          I will keep all this in mind when my PYO’s get here. I got a wolf and a Sm. dragon coming. Next order will be for a couple Kirins…I gotta do Water’s, but I’d like one to try out how the sculpt paints first, then that way I will have a feel for it before I move on to the one I want to do for Water (which I already have the concept for! Once in a great while I even amaze myself) But for now, I have only had 2 Griffins…I love that sculpt for painting. Wouldn’t mind doing more for other people, but I haven’t had the chance to do enough of them to promote my own artwork! Just lil’ old “Sylvester” and that is it. If the two I get for my Birthday turn out well, I’ll post some pics. I am thinking of the purple and green for the dragon (same tones and shades as Water’s Kirin) And doing a black Wolf. I have an awesome pic of a black wolf on my PC…maybe I will have better luck at liking it than the others who have done them…And it gives me practice on that sculpt for the Memorial “Maxx” Angels. πŸ˜€
          But, I don’t think I will mark them with a OOAK. Then that gives me the option to never make another or to make a bunch… πŸ˜€

Nambroth wrote:

vantid wrote:

If something is called One of a Kind, by the artist, it should be kept One of a Kind. If you think you will paint more like it in the future, trying to match it to previous others, then it shouldn’t be called a One of a Kind. That’s part of the allure of buying OOAK, the artist will never make another one like it. Think of what Melody does…if she makes a OOAK paint job, she won’t go back on her word and make more just because someone else wants to buy the same color scheme.

Hand painted is a better term for anything made more than once by the same artist. After all, everything in the Windstone factory is hand painted and each is a little bit different from the others…that doesn’t make each figurine a OOAK.
          I was wondering — by Vantid’s definition, are your PYO’s that Windstone lists on Ebay considered OOAK?

Jennifer
          Keymaster

mimitrek wrote:

Nambroth wrote:

vantid wrote:

I was wondering — by Vantid’s definition, are your PYO’s that Windstone lists on Ebay considered OOAK?

We don’t say one of a kind specifically on the auctions because sometimes I do a test paint first. These test paints are Windstone’s to do what they wish , but I don’t think they will ever be auctioned. For example, the kirin that sold recently has a similiar all though not identical counterpart that was a test paint. My test paints are dubbed thusly because I’m not perfect and I tend to screw these up from time to time- maybe the paint got globby or I goofed somehow. However, I try to be really clear on the gallery about what is a test paint and what is the piece that is sold. So far the only test paint that had a ‘good one’ sell was the kirin. All the griffins and dragons so far are unique and I do not ever intend on painting something similiar enough where the two would look alike. Does this make sense? This is sort of like Melody painting a test of an Old Warrior Prototype, and then painting another to sell. It’s technically “two of a kind” but only one will ever reach the market so it is indeed unique!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Thanks for the detailed explanation! It sounds like your Ebay PYO’s are OOAK for all practical purposes. πŸ™‚

Personally, I think if you did a snow-leopard butt and say, a white tiger butt to counter a snowy owl…those are two distinct pieces because you’ve completely changed the species. But if you painted two snowy owl/snow leopard griffins…unless you changed some colorations I wouldn’t think then that they could be termed OOAK since they are the same species used. But I don’t know; I just think not saying OOAK unless you’re completely sure you will never use those same colors again just that way on that same body of sculpture again should cover you. *shrugs*

Arlla
            Participant

Yeah…screw it. I don’t want to get involved in something so sticky…I guess I’ll just leave off the OOAK thing from now on.

-J R R Tolkien

Jennifer
              Keymaster

Arlla wrote:

Yeah…screw it. I don’t want to get involved in something so sticky…I guess I’ll just leave off the OOAK thing from now on.

I think that if someone loves your work they will buy it even if you leave off the “OOAK”. πŸ™‚ Your paint jobs certainally merit the attention!! πŸ˜€

Arlla
                Participant

Nambroth wrote:

Arlla wrote:

I think that if someone loves your work they will buy it even if you leave off the “OOAK”. πŸ™‚ Your paint jobs certainally merit the attention!! πŸ˜€

Awww, thanks! 😳

-J R R Tolkien

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

Arlla wrote:

Awww, thanks! 😳

I mean it! You do amazing work. I really wish I had more time and money so I could afford PYOs from a bunch of you guys!! πŸ˜€

lamortefille wrote:

I’m going to put my 2 cents in here. I have three lovely pieces done by Watergazer and if someone else likes them enough to commission another one from her, I have no problem with it. I paid her what they were worth to me and hopefully the prices for the new commission will be in line with what I paid, for Water’s sake. drag0nfeathers is going to do a Diablo Griffin for me and a Diablo Dragon for Arlla (I think that’s what I read), so Arlla and I will have two each. I’m excited to have work from each of these ladies and it doesn’t matter to me if they are strictly OOAK or not.

WOW, this is a really touchy subject, but I am going to have to go with Mipa and Lamor here…..I also have a couple pieces from WaterGazer, she does beautiful work! But I do have to go with the OOAK does mean OOAK, that there wouldnt be any reproductions what-so-ever, even if they are hand painted and slightly different. Thats where its hard to decide if you want it to be OOAK or not, Like the Leopard Frog! I saw myself OOAK, and my PERSONAL thought was….”GEES wish I COULD have one, BUT she wont make another because its “OOAK” so I wont even bother asking her to make another because it wouldnt be fair…BECAUSE it is OOAK.” So…yea, it could go many different ways, I guess it just depends on whom you are asking. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But who wants their feelings hurt? I know I sure wouldnt. OoOo! Just thought of something…..WHAT IF: You listed it as OOAK, SOLD it…SOMEBODY else wanted one….the “ARTIST” could then ask the person it was sold to for permision to “duplicate” that piece, and that would be the final answer from the new owner of that piece. I mean the person did buy it as OOAK. BUT ALSO, it would only be fair to the winner of the AUCTION (if that is how the piece was obtained) to ONLY sell the approved reproduction at the same price that the auction was won at. So that it is fair to the winner AND to the ARTIST, AND to the person that wants the duplicate piece, which I think the OOAK owner wouldnt “FEEL” as bad to say “OK” to duplicate it because it is getting bought at the same price. So.. that they wont feel like they won it for a certain price and the other person is getting it for “cheaper” you know? What do you guys think?

**NOT trying to offend ANYONE HERE**

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.