Your thoughts on quest prizes

Home Forums The Tanglian Wilderness Quests Your thoughts on quest prizes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kiya
    Participant

I wanted to throw a topic open for discussion – it won’t impact this Quest 14 though – so never fear!

Also, I haven’t discussed any of these thoughts with John/Melody – this is just to get an idea on what you guys might be interested in seeing – I can’t guarantee any of them will happen other than the status quo. 🙂

Here is the situation – Windstone is starting to run low on failed test paints/slightly flawed painted pieces for quests and raffles (don’t worry, raffles won’t go anywhere!)

It’s been challenging for the last two quests to find prizes. The gypsum is casting better these days so they don’t get the same amount of slight under-pours/pieces with bubbles/etc. Additionally, with the horn shortage, it’s harder to use the flawed kirins/orientals/unicorns as prizes because those horns are needed for ebay pieces/grab bags/etc.

SO… my question is this – what would you like to see as quest prizes going forward? The options as I see them are basically:

1.) Keep doing test paints/unique pieces. This may take a bit longer now given that there aren’t as many of them available that won’t be put on ebay/the special store. That would mean either less quests or potentially longer after the end of a quest to find out your prizes. Probably not ALWAYS, but this has happened a few times already.

2.) Use production pieces as prizes. This might not be the most exciting option for some of you, but for folks with tight budgets it may give a chance at getting a piece they couldn’t normally get. Also, it might allow for more choices in the prize (i.e. a fledge in the color you choose, a mother dragon in the color you choose, etc).

3.) Use production pieces, but be allowed to customize them a bit (eyes/gems). Love Violet Flame, but always wanted to see it with gold eyes? Think that the one thing missing to make a Black Gold mother dragon awesome is neon green eyes? Want a silver curlie with a blue marble? Maybe we could make that happen.

4.) Store credit. Instead of specific sculpture prize, you get a gift certificate for the store you can spend on anything (like towards the next grab bag to come out).

5.) Things other than sculpts. Maybe something from the Cafepress store or a unique fuzzy (like the fuzzy scarf) or a sketch from Melody. I think this would mostly be for smaller quests (like the random draws), but could be a possibility.

6.) Your ideas? There maybe things I haven’t thought of! However, when making a suggestion, remember – part of the goal is to not cost Windstone a lot of money/add a lot of time to their schedules to support this – that’s why to date we’ve used flawed test paints and the like as prizes. Melody can’t paint a piece for a winner in their selected colors/theme. We won’t give first pick on a grab bag, etc. If a prize requires a lot of work from Windstone or could make a lot on ebay, it’s probably not an option I can explore for a quest prize. 🙂 (The quest prizes are almost always pieces that have already been rejected for ebay.)

Thanks in advance for taking the time to weigh in. 🙂

Kiya
      Participant

Would it be possible for like a production piece, but with something more than just eyes? Kinda like #3.

Like it being signed and or 1 simple idea for it asise of just eyes. (like say we want black or silver claw as opposed to the norm or like purple spots on the face, but something super simple). Quest prizes have always had more value to those receiving, something to make it more unique, I would think.

Eyes and gems can be changed, but as some people (like on ebay) already do it on their own, it could make it difficult to tell how legit it would be or if somebody just swapped them out without some type of certificate verifying that. Just thinking..

No, I wouldn’t even ask about any customizations that involved painting. It would just be eyes and gems.

Quest prizes are signed and come with a COA – that would remain unchanged so that the customization (if Melody agreed) would be official.

rachelled
        Participant

My favourites are #1 and #2. 🙂

For #1, I can’t speak for everyone of course, but I’m sure most winners wouldn’t mind waiting for something a little more special/unique.

#2 seems like a good idea to avoid anyone being disappointed with their prize, since they can pick it.

Whatever is decided, thanks for taking our thoughts into consideration!

Would it be possible for like a production piece, but with something more than just eyes? Kinda like #3.

Like it being signed and or 1 simple idea for it asise of just eyes. (like say we want black or silver claw as opposed to the norm or like purple spots on the face, but something super simple). Quest prizes have always had more value to those receiving, something to make it more unique, I would think.

Eyes and gems can be changed, but as some people (like on ebay) already do it on their own, it could make it difficult to tell how legit it would be or if somebody just swapped them out without some type of certificate verifying that. Just thinking..

No, I wouldn’t even ask about any customizations that involved painting. It would just be eyes and gems.

Quest prizes are signed and come with a COA – that would remain unchanged so that the customization (if Melody agreed) would be official.

OK, well either way, I assume most anybody would be pleased to have won a windstone in the first place. And it is a great option for maybe those who could not afford it. Out of curiosity, would awarding a grab bag is say the top prizes and having a COA written up for it be an option if any are near the point of completion? That is another way to receive a unique piece. Either way, works for me!

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
          www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
          Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

dragonmedley
          Participant

Honestly, I vote whatever is easiest/most cost effective for Windstone. They are already an extremely generous company with doing raffles every month and other things for their customers!

I second this.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Skeeterdeee
            Participant

Honestly, I would love a sketch from Melody! Everything she has ever drawn for me is framed on my bedroom wall!

Kiya
              Participant

Out of curiosity, would awarding a grab bag is say the top prizes and having a COA written up for it be an option if any are near the point of completion? That is another way to receive a unique piece. Either way, works for me!

If there is a grab bag with a problem that makes it get with-held from the batch (under-poured feet, a bubble, etc), I sometimes have a grab bag to use, but all the ones that are perfect get sold.

Again, the goal is to not cost Windstone significant income – since putting a grab bag on ebay generates a pretty nice price above and beyond the store price, any held back grab bags tend to head there as long as they are not flawed. 🙂

The production pieces (assuming I can get them) are usually going to be from the seconds cart, not the ones headed for the store. The flaws are generally minor (slight under pouring, small bubbles, paint drips, slightly more visible seams, etc), so they still display well, but perfect pieces rarely end up in a raffle or quest prize.

phantomess
                Participant

I think we should use a combination of these options for quests (different options for different quests), but announce it when posting the quests so people know what they’re getting into. That way if someone doesn’t like the idea of store credit, they don’t have to do the quest, or if they still want to participate in the quest for fun, maybe they could give their winnings to another member. But by announcing it along with the quest, there won’t be disappointment later.
                  And this way, we can use a unique piece/test paint/whatever as a prize IF one’s available at the time, and if not (this would probably be more often), one of the other options can be used: store credit, or a certain sculpt in a color of our choice or with eyes/jewels in a color of our choice, etc. but just rotate between those options from quest to quest. And again, by announcing it, people wouldn’t have to enter for anything they weren’t interested in! I think a number of us would be thrilled to get store credit or also the choose-an-eye/jewel-color-for-a-sculpt though!

Formerly had the Batman & Joker avatar!

Kiya
                  Participant

Rotating them seems like it will be the most likely approach. I think I have enough general input to see if the idea of customizing (eye/gems) a production color piece is feasible.

No one “official” has said yes to these ideas so I still need to see what’s possible. 🙂 Thanks for your input, everyone! 🙂

Bodine
                    Participant

How about all of the above? 🙂 We’re not going anywhere :bigsmile:

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                      Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Rachel
                      Participant

I’m good with pretty much anything. I like the sketch idea, too. Or a printed page from “The Veligent” that’s signed.

Ela_Hara
                        Participant

I think we should use a combination of these options for quests (different options for different quests), but announce it when posting the quests so people know what they’re getting into. That way if someone doesn’t like the idea of store credit, they don’t have to do the quest, or if they still want to participate in the quest for fun, maybe they could give their winnings to another member. But by announcing it along with the quest, there won’t be disappointment later.
                          And this way, we can use a unique piece/test paint/whatever as a prize IF one’s available at the time, and if not (this would probably be more often), one of the other options can be used: store credit, or a certain sculpt in a color of our choice or with eyes/jewels in a color of our choice, etc. but just rotate between those options from quest to quest. And again, by announcing it, people wouldn’t have to enter for anything they weren’t interested in! I think a number of us would be thrilled to get store credit or also the choose-an-eye/jewel-color-for-a-sculpt though!

Actually, I agree with this great idea from phantomess … use a combination and what makes sense at the time. This would be a good suggestion not only for the Quests, but also for the monthly Raffles, if one is planned during a month.

I also echo what many have expressed… these ‘extras’ are really appreciated and we all know that they are ‘above and beyond’ – you guys at Windstone Editions really take care of your fans! Thanks so much for thinking of us. 🙂

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                          Zeppard Adult Poads
                          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Actually, I agree with this great idea from phantomess … use a combination and what makes sense at the time. This would be a good suggestion not only for the Quests, but also for the monthly Raffles, if one is planned during a month.

I also echo what many have expressed… these ‘extras’ are really appreciated and we all know that they are ‘above and beyond’ – you guys at Windstone Editions really take care of your fans! Thanks so much for thinking of us. 🙂

Ok, finally weighing in also.

I think the above is a great way to attack it, assuming you get approval Kiya.

1) Is an awesome prize for a unique/special piece, assuming botches are available.

2) Is an awesome prize for those that can’t afford a production piece, but have been eyeing a particular one. I would assume there would be a limit on the price range of the pieces they could choose from.

3) Is an awesome prize for someone that wants something with that extra special touch (eye color/jewel combo) and would be easy enough to facilitate.

4) Is an awesome prize for perhaps someone who wants one of the bigger sculptures, but it’s just out of their price range and a Gift certificate would help them obtain that bigger, pricier piece.

Some members would weigh option #1 higher than the rest. I know I do for the test paint OW, the one I so fondly named, “The Purple People Eater”, that I won. So perhaps if one of those were available for a quest prize, it would go for the tougher quests, whereas #2-4 could either be on a rotational basis or as an option for the prize winner, since a price range for the certificate and production sculpture would be pre-set and I assume, similar amount.

I also echo what many have expressed… these ‘extras’ are really appreciated and we all know that they are ‘above and beyond’ – you guys at Windstone Editions really take care of your fans! Thanks so much for thinking of us. :-> ~Hoofer

Erika
                          Participant

3 & 4 are my preferred, though I do like seeing special pieces for larger quests, even if it might take a bit longer.

I really like that you guys do this at all, so thanks!

Bodine
                            Participant

Since everyone loves Ms.Melody’s prints,how about signed prints? Gives you quite a few new choices and cheap to produce.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                              Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.