fbpx

Why I haven't been around

Home Forums Miscellany Community Why I haven't been around

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kujacker
    Participant

I’m writing this just to inform people that might be interested in my lack of forum activity.

I’ve pretty much stop caring about Windstones. I know, a sin to the people on this forum. But it’s true. Months ago, I packed up all my Windstones (that had boxes) and they are all just in the backroom. Sitting around. The dog even chewed up one of the boxes-not sure to what statue-and I was only angry at the behavior, not the damage. I only have 4 out that have their boxes, and the rest out don’t have an original box. I do still have a large amount on display, but for the most part, they are boxed and forgotten. I have 43 still on display, while probably another 40 in their boxes. And believe me, if I had boxes, I would have packed most of those up as well.

It’s not that I don’t enjoy them anymore… I do. To a point. But when you don’t even get paid $200 a month, which means you have to figure out how to pay your bills, you can’t exactly enjoy an expensive dust collector. So I haven’t even really been visiting the forum anymore. Why bother… you know?
      I go to a plasma center twice a week to be able to make my bills each month. You are paid a small amount to “donate” your plasma (it’s more like selling, no?). It’s taking a toll on me, but I can’t stop if I want to pay my bills each month.
      If you have a job that can pay your bills and still afford to buy super expensive statues, be thankful. No, I’m not complaining about my lack of money. In a way, and I know it’s hard to imagine, but it’s nice not having money. It’s hard to explain, really. But when you actually do have free money to buy something for yourself (I.E. The pony toys from McDonalds was my first personal purchase this year. A whole $30), that tiny purchase feels very rewarding. I can’t say I ever felt like a Windstone was a reward when I could afford them. I was just buying them right and left, so it wasn’t special. I hope that makes a bit of sense, how not having money can feel better.

Honestly, if we ever move I can’t see myself displaying them again. I’m pretty sure they will all just remain in their boxes in a spare room or closet.
      But yet, I can’t bring myself to sell them. How odd. I could pay some bills off if I would just sell them.

I visit the forum once every few days to see if any PYO are back in stock. Honestly, I don’t think they will be any time soon with the amount of time and effort that is going into all those grab bag unicorns (sorry, no, I don’t see the appeal). It would be nice to start painting them again, but it doesn’t look like I will be.

So in any case, if you have wondered why I’ve been “missing”, this is why. I’m still here, technically, so if you were to send a message I’d respond in a timely manner. But I just don’t feel any need to be active anymore. My health has also been at a decline as of late, I’m sure that is contributing to my general apathy. Although the WS apathy started before the decline.

Adaneth
      Participant

Thanks for letting us know what’s going on. I hope you’re able to find some good work soon.

I have no idea if any of this will help but:

I can’t say I know precisely how you feel, because that’s impossible, but I don’t think you’re alone in feeling like this, over Windstones or anything else. My own interest in things comes and goes; I tend to dive full bore into something and get completely obsessed with it, then six months later I’m looking up and going, “whoa, what just happened?”

If I’m lucky, it’s something cheap or free–last summer, it was HTML programming and graphic arts, both of which cost me nothing, already had everything I needed. But this year, so far, it’s been Windstones…and yes, it’s easy to fall into the trap of “I want it because everyone else is excited about it, not because it’s special to me.” I’ve had to pull back a bit, to reexamine my feelings (and my budget), and to make sure that when I get a piece, it’s because I truly want it, not just because I’m envious of everyone else and their large collections.

Because my health is permanently impaired, there are some hobbies (and a business) I’ve had to give up entirely. And I did exactly what you did, if for slightly different reasons. I boxed it all up and put it where I didn’t see it daily. Some of what’s been put away, like your Windstones, would bring in a fair amount of money. But it can be difficult to part with things you once cared about, especially when you invested a good deal of time or money in them. I thought the time had finally come to let some of my professional camera gear go last fall–I’ll never be able to use it again, and if by some miracle I could, I don’t need the level of gear I own just for hobby photography. I’ve been telling myself for months to just start selling it off, even researched the best way to do it. Not one piece has left this house. So it goes unused and unloved, and I rail at myself for not doing something about it.

The truth is probably that I’m really not ready. If I desperately needed the money, I can guarantee I’d do it, because I’ve done similar before. But right now, the need isn’t dire, and it’s easy for me to shove out of my mind. Given what you said about it being nice in a way to not have money (I get that one too), you may be feeling similarly. I’ve wandered away from the photography forums I used to belong to because I’ve lost interest in what I can no longer do, and that too gives me an excuse not to think about it (plus it keeps me from being tempted by new stuff). Similarly, there are sometimes threads I can’t look at on here, because I find myself caught up in the hype–and I don’t need to be spending on something I can’t afford, like a $1K ebay piece, no matter how beautiful.

In the end, when you are ready, I’d suggest just keeping the pieces you love–if there still are any that you truly would miss having– and selling off the rest to those who would love to have them. And yes, I know how much easier that is said than done! My camera gear is meant to be used. Your Windstones are meant to be loved. And having at least managed to get rid of *some* things (not NEARLY enough), I know there’s a certain satisfaction in reclaiming the space they take up, in knowing they’re going to people who really want them, and in freeing yourself from the burden of having stuff around that depresses you because you no longer want/need/can use it. Plus, of course, money to pay bills is always a good thing.

If the thought of selling everything at once is too daunting, pick your five least favorites and set a goal to get them out in the next month or so. Maybe put one up each week, either here or on ebay or both. Once they’re gone, I guarantee you’ll never miss them, and maybe you’ll be ready to let go of a few more. If not, hey, at least you made a dent in the pile.

And having said that, I’d best put my own money where my mouth is and go sell a lens or two!

Hang in there on the health. Believe me, after four years of disability, I know that apathy all too well. It’s a tough thing to fight, often harder than whatever underlying disease you’re dealing with. There are plenty of days–most of them, in fact–where I work my way through my day 15 minutes at a time, because I know I can do anything for 15 minutes. That may be 15 minutes with a two hour break in between if it’s really a bad day, but I’ll still get 3 or 4 things done that wouldn’t otherwise have happened. Pathetic compared to what my life used to look like…but better than getting nothing done at all. Best wishes–you’re not alone on that score either.

If things change, well, this place will still be here when you want to come back. I have a couple of forums I wander into maybe every six months. People are always happy to see me, and they understand when I disappear again. No one’s going to hold it against you if you choose to come and go; they just worry a little if it’s been a while since they last saw you.

(As an FYI on the PYOs, Susie mentioned in another thread that they’ve been having issues with the current batch of plaster they’re using as part of the casting process, and that’s the main factor as to the lack of PYOs available. That problem could clear soon, or it might be some time yet, they just don’t know.)

dragonmedley
        Participant

It was good to hear from you! If you can’t bring yourself to sell, then you’re still “here”, so to speak.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Sikek
          Participant

I can agree with that. I found myself unemployed and looking for work much longer than I imagined, so any money I got came from hard work doing odd jobs and commissions. What I bought with that money felt good because I knew I worked really hard for it. Of course working full time is also hard work, but I do have savings now that I can buy things, if I justify the cost in my mind.
            It can be really easy to get caught up in collecting (not just Windstone, but anything for that matter). I know I have to tell myself to limit things to a small size, because we really can fall out of the hobby just as quickly.

I hope things get better for you as well! =)

PurpleTurtle
            Participant

It’s good to hear from you again and I’m sorry your going through such a rough spot in your financial life. Hopefully things will turn for the best. I have done the living hand to mouth thing and it’s not a good place to be. Just because your lost your interest in collecting, don’t make that stop you from popping in here from time to time :).
              I know it’s sacrilege to say it here, but there is more to life to Windstones. Honestly, I have found a decline interest in acquiring them over the past year. I have come to the personal conclusion that Windstone collecting is best left to those who have a lot of extra money… something of which I do not have. Not to mention I feel a little out of my league because of my financial standing. It would be a lie if I said I wasn’t a little envious of some forums members who apparently have the ability to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on pretty sculptures…often. Mostly because if it was me I’d be spending that money on my mortgage or other bills lol. But I realize it’s okay. I don’t know the whole picture involving those individuals and because I can still appreciate the things that I have already. And besides, things are just ‘things’ ;).
              Okay..done babbling. Don’t be a stranger!

windstonefan
              Participant

Okay Iam sorry to hear you have been ill. I totally understand this since batteling with my own illness for the past 7 years and weighing between 99 and 118 pound to fall back to 99 lbs.An be sick all over again Then my back problems the pain. I have worked less time than I spent sick for the past 6 years and I was a full time grocery stocker. I spent more time with doctors trying to get help for 2 problems and realise one has allot to do with the other. But enought of that. I had lots of medical bills and empty pockets. I love my Windstone and have collected a long time. But the bills each time I got sick pushed me over the edge.

I sold allot of my collection to pay my medical bills. I once sold my Whites and my Emeralds only to have my sick pay come in as the auctions went down. I just wanted to cry. An have done this selling repeatly everytime I was ill. Better I will recollect. But there are things that I can never get back like my Autumn Leaf OW he is my biggest regret.

Take your things that can be replaced should you ever change your mind and sell those. If nothing else it will give you peace of mind. You’d be surprised just how much that means and how much better you will feel.

I have a paint your own up stairs in my attic some where its the bird. I got to hunt it up but I will find it and get your address and send it out. This I hope will take your mind of off things. Also have a Peacock fledgling that need some TLC maybe you can dabble on him too.

You know that we are like a disfunctional family here at times but we all care about our fellow members here and even if you are not collecting anymore we still care about you and want to hear from you. Sending my prayers as well as strength your way. Hope you get it. Evelyn

windstonefan

windstonefan
                Participant

Hello sent that out to you Monday priorty so you should be getting it any day now. Good luck sweety. God bless you.

windstonefan

Christine
                  Participant

I know a little how you feel too. Some days I wonder why I don’t sell most of my collection. Then I can never bring myself to part with even one piece…

Sorry your health’s been less than great, I really hope you feel better soon, or at least feel happier. 🙂 You always have us to talk to!

I’m sorry to hear your life’s been rough lately.

To be honest though, I come here for the people not the Windstones, I haven’t bought a single piece on well over a year and don’t want to. I don’t want to sell them either so there’s that (but many of them were gifts and are special to me).

Heck I hardly venture out of the community forum.

I can feel the budget crunch thing too. We’re downgrading from a 3bdr house to a 1bdr apartment because we need that extra $400 a month (we only had the upstairs of the house, but my sister in law had the basement, but she’s moving too so…). Some things will have to go or get downsized, but this is a good thing, in a way. We will have to let go of all the things we don’t need (an extra bed, 2 desks, both our microwaves, a bunch of stuff in boxes that haven’t seen the light of day in years, etc).

So if you’re feeling social at all, there’s those of us on here that aren’t obsessed with Windstones any more. 🙂

twindragonsmum
                    Participant

yup, that’d include me…

tdm

tdm

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.