Why collect Windstone?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Why collect Windstone?

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Participant

skigod377 wrote:

WindstoneCollector wrote:

Thanks Ski! I am just happy to have found a place to talk to others who collect. Man, it was frustrating to try to explain what it was about the sculptures that was so special to me, when the people I was trying to explain to weren’t collectors! πŸ™„
      I wish I was rich *clicks heels together 3 times* HAHAHAHA πŸ˜†

Yeah…my poor friends eyes glaze over after a fw minutes of me gabbing about “this dragon” and “that griffin.” At least here everyone loves them. We can talk about them forever…as shown by the number of topics.

Glaze. That is exactly the word to describe my family and friends when I say I collect Windstones. Or even mention a “new release” of something. The first reaction is a confused look. The second is a vacant look followed by a nod as I describe what a “Windstone” is. Then if I continue to describe all the different types, the Glaze sets in. 😯

Maria
      Participant

My little brothers admire my dragons very much. My older ones are like, “Aren’t you saving for a rifle?” (So? That’s the rest of the money. :)) My Dad doesn’t say anything but I’m pretty sure he thinks it’s a stupid thing to spend money on, and Mom keeps reminding me to watch my budget. She does love the colors, but she doesn’t like the squished-ness of the sculpts.

Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

My little brothers admire my dragons very much. My older ones are like, “Aren’t you saving for a rifle?” (So? That’s the rest of the money. :)) My Dad doesn’t say anything but I’m pretty sure he thinks it’s a stupid thing to spend money on, and Mom keeps reminding me to watch my budget. She does love the colors, but she doesn’t like the squished-ness of the sculpts.

Squished-ness?? πŸ˜•

Maria
          Participant

You know, the way the dragons sit on their tails, the way the claws of the lying-down ones fold over each other in such a cramped way. There’s a better word but I can’t think of it. The critters have to be sculpted that way for the casting, but it’s not natural, so Mom doesn’t really like it.

Skigod377
            Participant

Ah! I understand. I just looked at all my dragons and sure enough, all their legs are either curled in the same way, or connected to their bodies. The griffins legs are not connected. I wonder why all the dragons are?

Maria
              Participant

I wondered that myself. Maybe their feathery surface is less susceptible to breaks? Probably not…

It has to do with being able to cast them, that is why melody cant do a standing horse, it has to be sitting or laying down.

Participant

ruffian wrote:

It has to do with being able to cast them, that is why melody cant do a standing horse, it has to be sitting or laying down.

Not true. There is the pegasus and grand unicorns. Although, for those she does have to have a base.

Maria
                  Participant

I checked the pictures again. The griffins’ legs pose the same way as a sitting Spectral’s. That much surface area and space in a sculpt is probably about as much as Melody can offer without making casting impossible.

SilverArrow wrote:

ruffian wrote:

Not true. There is the pegasus and grand unicorns. Although, for those she does have to have a base.

I realised that after I wrote that, but the base is there because of the thi legs. I am only going off of what she has said in some of her replys to questions.

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

skigod377 wrote:

Ah! I understand. I just looked at all my dragons and sure enough, all their legs are either curled in the same way, or connected to their bodies. The griffins legs are not connected. I wonder why all the dragons are?

The griffin’s front claws are sitting on his tail though- that’s part of the base. πŸ™‚ Maybe I misunderstood?

The male kirin has separate front legs, but think about the shape… thick up top, tapering to a point. If he had big honkin’ claws at the end of his feet she’d had to have fixed them to a base or something else.. but as he is it works. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                      My art: featherdust.com

Skigod377
                      Participant

Ah yes…so they are. It must take a whole lot of work to sculpt something like that. I would never even try.

Jennifer
                        Keymaster

skigod377 wrote:

Ah yes…so they are. It must take a whole lot of work to sculpt something like that. I would never even try.

I’ve only dabbled in sculpting, and I know even from that much, it takes a lot of planning and changing things around to get it to work. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                          My art: featherdust.com

I took 4 yrs of art my senior year in highschool. 2 art/drawing, 1 sculpture, and 1 clay/pottery. I also took art every year it was an elective from 7th to 12th grade, and went to “College for kids” (4 week program where gradeschool students could go to college and see what it was like to go to college)and took science and art there too for 2 summers. I have done scetches of Melody’s work and have some of them hanging around the house. 😳 But did these before I saw there were actual prints I could buy!
                          I still love to draw, but don’t have much time now as I work and sleep much of my time away. But things will change for me when spring comes. πŸ˜†

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.