Why collect Windstone?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Why collect Windstone?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

A few of us have answered this already, but curious minds ask- why do you collect Windstone?
      What is it about Windstones that are appealing to you?
      (Is it the subject matter? The colors? The quality? Because they’re art? Because of the people that make them? The urging of your forum buddies…?)

Let’s face it- Windstones, as all collectibles and artwork, are ‘luxury’ items. That is, even though we joke that we neeeeed more Windstones, it is possible to survive without them (which is not true for things like food [cost of groceries], shelter [rent or house payments], etc). So when people spend their hard earned money on a luxury item, there is something special about that item to the person doing the buying. I know that for me, whenever I sell a piece of artwork I always feel very flattered that someone would spend the cash on something I made that they didn’t necessarily need.

So, what are the reasons you collect? ๐Ÿ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
      Keymaster

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

I love the realistic textures and they way they look like they could come alive in my hands. The detail is breathtaking… it’s what hooked me in the first place, back when I was in junior high ๐Ÿ™‚

The reason I collect Windstones is because I love dragons and my favorite color at the time was green (I saw the dragons in a store in the mall). I love fantasy. I loved dreaming about knights, dragons, maidens. It kept me going thru out the day when things in my life were bad or not going good. I love the way that the Windstones look. I love sparkly stuff and when I saw that the dragons had that metalic look and the stones, I fell in love. I have a fasination with rocks for some reason. Windstones are a expression also for me. I am normally shy in person and having Windstones can reflect my personality. They are beautiful to me and each one is different and special.

Skigod377
        Participant

I love the quality and collectibility. There are no others out there like this and the quality of the piece is unquestionable. Some may not like this, but I collected some of them just because others wanted them. (IE: the limited flap cats) I didnt have a fondness for them untill they were on display. I also want somthing that will go up in value if or when I lose interest. There will always be a market for Windstones and its nice having something that will bring in some money if I am ever in serious financial straights. I really love my Windstones right now, and looking at them and holding them makes me happy. That is worth whatever I have to pay.

I like surrounding myself with beautiful things and the paint on these pretty sculptures can really bring out the beauty or even set the beauty of a room. It’s kind of like zen for me, helps me find my center just looking at loveliness. It also gives me something to strive to own, to work towards. Sometimes it’s not the having it’s the getting.

Because I would pay any amount of money to have a real dragon..and this is the closest I will ever get. And because deep down inside..I wished I looked Just like that emerald scratcher….ahh to fly.
          Truly they are the best made sculptures out there. Really they are. And as much as I wish them to be affordable…they should be Gallery works and be worth thousands.

ladybrooklyn
          Participant

I agree with Whippet…

Melody’s sculptures are as close to REAL dragons… unicorns… gryphons… etc as we will ever get.

They are hands down the most skillfully sculpted… envisioned… in general… at least to me… they are the very best execution of these critters. For the most part they are the ideal… what the whole world should envision gryphons and unicorns look like! ๐Ÿ˜†

I mean honestly… there are TONS of fantasy figures out there… but what others come close to glaring at you and very nearly breathing fire??

I don’t have many… mostly due to space… but I think that’s going to change soon.

And heck… as far as “luxury items” so are model horses… :mrgreen: I’m a collector period end… they are just another jewel to beautify my house and life! ๐Ÿ˜€

Participant

I started collecting about 10 years ago because of the level of detail and finish that the scuplture had. I was (still am) a stickler on quality and detail and Windstones are the only “affordable” artwork I’ve found that meets my expectations. I fell in love with the Unicorns and its been an on-going love affair ever since! Now that I’m part of this forum I’ve purchased more Windstones in the past few months than I have in years – due to the enthusiasm of other collectors. (And is it just me or do these statues look like they have emotions in their eyes? They all have a unique personality.)

I have to laugh because like Skigod I have purchased a couple of Windstones for their value at resell. But the funny thing is the more I was around them the more I fell in love with them. Windstones have a funny magic like that! I enjoy seeing how others enjoy their collections because my family think they’re nice, but they’re just “dust catchers”. Here, Windstones are more than statues, they are family! ๐Ÿ˜€

Pegasi1978
              Participant

I collect Windstones for many of the same reasons that the other members have mentione. The attention to detail and the reality of the pieces.

When I look into the eyes of the Windstones I find it hard to believe that the creatures aren’t breathing. To me when I first got my Black Unicorn Mother her eyes seemed so sad until she was surrounded by the rest of her family. Now they seem to be filled with joy.

I’m also very picky as to how my unicorns and pegasi look and Melody got them right! There are so many figurines of unicorns, pegasi, dragons out there that I can’t stand and some of them even offend me when I look at them and think “That’s not right. They don’t look like that at all!”

Only thing I wish was different was if the unicorns and pegasi came in a few more horse-like colors than white and black, but there’s always dreaming!

I like Windstones because they’re realistic portrayals of fantasy creatures, and I love the quality and attention to detail. Melody has a knack for capturing the “essence” of the creatures and things and bringing them to life…my Windstones are more like pets than sculptures to me. They appeal to me in a way that none of the other fantasy sculptures on the market do, and they’re the only sculptures that I collect right now — though I’ve been very tempted by Debbi LerMond’s resin horses ever since Cheryl told me about them (the quality and detail is amazing, but they’re very very expensive…) Like Cheryl, I buy Windstones because I like beautiful things and they really enhance my life…definitely for resale because I’ll probably have mine until I die… ๐Ÿ˜†

By the way, the expression of the mother dragon is just like my parents’ dog when she was curled up (she had orange eyes too) and the scratching dragon reminds me of her when she was scratching!

Bob

I have always felt I was born about 500 years too late. I feel I feel I should have been born back in the times when dragons roamed the earth. O would be the one finding them and taking care of them to scratch their hard to reach places etc.
                  I was in SF in July 1988 right around my birthday and saw the 2 most unbelievably real dragons I have ever seen in my entire life. I bought the male and brought him home to show my room mates at the time and and they both fell in love with him too. A week later I was able to go get the female. I also feel that is they where living breathing creatures this is exctly how they would look. I have always LOVED the glass eyes that follow you everywhere/
                  I feel my dragons are guardian angles wathing over me and my house.
                  I used to also LOVE the Michael Whelan work from the Frankilin Mint and I have a number of those as well with very nice detial but Windstones where and remain my first true love

In addition to the above I love Melody’s dragons because they are not angry looking or spewing fire, etc. A lot of the dragons out there are, well, nasty looking for want of a better word. I grew up reading Anne McCaffrey where dragons were partners not adversaries and that’s how I view dragons. I don’t particularly like the St. George type of dragon stories so Melody’s look like how I picture dragons.

Anonymous

Dragons… look at my name … been that way for 15 .. (oh my god it’s 15 years now) ..

The figurines pull at my imagination .. I love the way the curled dragon looks on guard .. I love the way the baby in the wall sconce wants to defend his territory but is digging his crawls so hard into the hand he’s scared of falling out … things like that make the pieces desirable to me.

dragonmedley
                    Participant

whippetluv wrote:

Because I would pay any amount of money to have a real dragon..and this is the closest I will ever get.

You’re soooo right! I have a thing for dragons, but Melody’s do seem alive thanks to the eyes. And they don’t look mean, especially the fledgling.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.