What's a box and tag worth?

Home Forums Miscellany Community What's a box and tag worth?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    littleironhorse
    Participant

It depends, Phoenix. When you listed it on ebay did you list is as “returns not accepted” or “returns accepted”? When I list, I always put “returns accepted, return shipping paid by buyer”. If something happens I refund the item price + original shipping, that way the buyer and I kinda split the loss. Refer back to the item page and that may help you decide what to do.

That’s exactly how I do it.
      It’s fair to split the loss. This is not a case of gross misrepresentation or of damage due to bad packaging, it’s just a difference of opinion.

And even $20.00 for a tag that got bent in shipping is WAY too much!

WolfenMachine
      Participant

Gotta agree with everyone here. Tags dont matter and boxes are just good for shipping and transport. Can you offer a second chance to the next highest bidder?

Andrea
        Participant

I just offered a full refund. She’s stuck on not having the box and feels it’s worth more. I think it’s a case of buyers remorse maybe.
          I understand some people hold the tag in high regard and paired with the fact that I listed the item as new somehow means the box should have been there as well.
          The auction was called a lie so all I could do is offer a refund.
          It’s a bummer and I hope they get a curlie for their collection.

Learning experience: Always list whether the box is there or not!

Thanks for all the input!

Kujacker
          Participant

I’m a person that feels the tag and original box help with the value of the piece. HOWEVER, when I’m buying off of ebay, I sort of expect the tag to be bent. If it arrives with a bent tag… no big deal! If it arrives with no tag at all? Again… no big deal.
            If you didn’t list the item as “new IN BOX” I feel the person is being difficult. You said the item was new (in new condition)… not “new in box”.
            On the box… I’ve bought windstones off of ebay that have said “have original box”… only for it to arrive in.. not the original box! Did I care? No. I got the SCULPTURE I wanted. I don’t buy the sculptures for a box or tag. While I value them, I didn’t buy a box or tag.

As for refund, I don’t offer them just because of buyers remorse. But I’d say the buyer pays shipping. It’s not your fault this person is weird and values the box and tag more than the actual piece. I’d say if they want a refund, they pay shipping. Also, wait till you get the piece back before refunding.

Andrea
            Participant

Not sure what to do.
              She left a message saying something about honoring the difference of price between new and used is unethical and sad. But no mention of whether the piece will be returned.

If you don’t buy a piece directly from Windstone… Isn’t it considered used anyway? Semantics, I know.

She said she wouldn’t communicate with me anymore, so I’m in limbo as is the person who wants to buy the piece when/if she returns it.

Andrea
              Participant

So her original complaint is not happy with item’s price in comparison to what would be ‘new’.

Price “new” would be $50… Not sure what that equates to. Still trying to wrap my head around it.

I guess I just have to wait and see what happens. This is the first time dealing with something like this. I have had 2 complaints on stuff I’ve sold on Ebay. Both were for obvious damage that I just didn’t look hard enough to notice. Both buyers were very nice about it and we had it solved in two emails.

This one, the pictures show the item is good but was bent in process of packaging. While I want to be fair, I don’t want to be a patsy.
                It’s only $20 and part of me just says let her have it. The other part of me just says it’s unreasonable of her to expect that much for a bent tag.

I’ve pretty much assured myself of a negative feedback point. Hope Ebay doesn’t ban me. I’ve no idea what 1 negative will do to my low amount of feedback. I guess we’ll find out.

darjeb
                Participant

I think at $20 you are being more than reasonable because if it were me I’d just tell the buyer to return the curlie and refund her money it sounds like she is trying to take advantage of you,.

Absolutely do not refund her money until you receive the curlie back. I would probably refund the shipping charges to her and let her pay the charges to return it to you.

Kujacker
                  Participant

In my opinion, $20 IS too much for just a bent tag (and $40 is absolutely bonkers). I mean seriously. In this case, I’m siding with those saying the tag is worth ZERO dollars. And remember, I value them.
                    Don’t give in to her. She is being very unreasonable… not to mention she’s already said she won’t be communicating with you anymore. This in itself spells “DIFFICULT PERSON” to me. Add that to the rest of the list… and it’s very difficult.
                    (In that regard, I wouldn’t bother trying to contact her anymore. She clearly isn’t be reasonable. And couple that with “I’m not going to talk to you anymore” just isn’t worth trying)

Why would ebay ban you? :/ Ebay doesn’t ban people for a single negative feedback. If they did they’d be out of so much business. And even if this person leaves negative feedback, you can always “reply” to that feedback on your feedback page. State she was difficult, refused to resolve the problem and that she apparently can’t read auctions (since you didn’t list “new IN BOX”).

To me, an item can be new without having a box and while having a bent tag. The sculpture is new. As I said before, I value the tag and box… but I’m buying a sculpture. THAT’S what should matter the most. Search ebay and I’m sure you’ll find auctions that say the item is new but doesn’t have a tag or box.

Skeeterdeee
                    Participant

I’m so sorry, Phoenix. It’s customers like that that ruin ebay.
                      I don’t think eBay will ban you just for one grouch. That wouldn’t be fair to go by just one person’s opinion. I think they wait to see if you get a couple of negatives before they do anything. Everyone’s opinion of “new”, “like new”, “good”, and “poor” are completely different. I agree that this sounds like a case of buyers remorse. If she didn’t want to spend that much on a curlie, she shouldn’t have bid what she did. Since silver curlies aren’t a common piece and there is still a demand for them, one should expect to pay more than the new price. She’s not making any sense! Don’t let it get under your skin. ๐Ÿ™‚ In my opinion, you didn’t do anything wrong. I bought something a while back that was listed as “brand new”, when it arrived it was covered in pet hair and a mysterious brown substance, smelled horrible, and was scratched all over. I’m not picky when it comes to an item being perfect, but this was really yucky! I wouldn’t even bring it into the house (it was a picture frame). THAT is a case of not being honest in an auction, not this!

Skeeterdeee
                      Participant

To me, an item can be new without having a box and while having a bent tag. The sculpture is new. As I said before, I value the tag and box… but I’m buying a sculpture. THAT’S what should matter the most. Search ebay and I’m sure you’ll find auctions that say the item is new but doesn’t have a tag or box.

I agree!! If an item can’t be considered new without the tag or box, how come you see so many auctions that say NWOT??

Andrea
                        Participant

Thanks all. Was venting a bit. I’ll see what happens…

I heard Ebay would hold your Paypal$ until you get the positive feedback if you had a negative feedback. That’s what I mean by banning. Bad joke, but if I’m going to be held hostage by Ebay like that, I may as well be banned. LOL.

Anyone want to partner with me to make an Ebay-like site? Business model would be before they got greedy. They take something like 10% plus listing fees???

Qbids charges the bidders which is wierd. What other online auction sites are there?

Hannah
                          Participant

Ugh. Phoenix, I am so sorry that this is happening to you!! From what you have told us, this buyer seriously sounds like she is trying to take advantage of you. She bought the piece, found a miniscule thing wrong with it, and now feels like you owe her the world on a platter for it. It’s ridiculous!

I totally agree that even though this is a piece that was originally bought for $50.00, that it is worth whatever price she paid for it! She knew what she was doing, and if she didn’t realize that the piece was originally only $50.00 when she bid over $100, that’s her own fault! It’s not your job to tell people how much YOU bought the piece for.

As far as a refund, I’d say that she has cut herself out of that one. Once she says she is done communicating with you, I would suggest just waiting to see if she puts a ticket in with ebay about the piece. IF she does, you have a good case – you didn’t list that the item had the box, and it is indeed a new piece in mint condition! If for some reason ebay sides with the seller (unfortunately ebay favors the seller in most cases that are relatively neutral in “fault”), THEY will require her to send back the piece – WITH a tracking number – and only after they have proof that you recieved the item back will they require that you refund her. So really, in this situation the worst thing that can happen is that she sends the item back and you have to refund her money.

One warning though – MAKE SURE that once you get the item back, it is in the same condition that you sent it in!! I had someone return something to me once, and it was DESTROYED in the mail – purposely! The buyer took issue with me and sent it back in a teeny tiny box with tissue for “padding”. Seriously. She didn’t get her money back.

I really hope this works out for you ๐Ÿ™ I’m so sorry that you ran into a bad apple.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                            Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Hannah
                            Participant

Stupid forum double posting!! See next post ๐Ÿ˜€

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                              Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

WolfenMachine
                              Participant

UGh! Phoenix, I am so sorry! I agree with Hannah, it sounds like this buyer is thinking you owe her more than you do. I saw that auction and thought “WOW $141 for a silver curlie? I’m sorry I sold mine for $50” Maybe the buyer got caught up in the bidding?

Why on earth would she tell you that she wont communicate with you anymore? Sounds fishy to me. But if she wants to keep her dragon and let you keep the money, then hey.

I sold a Trail of Painted Ponies horse on ebay. Ive got a couple of them, but Im not a collector. I saw a “Trail of painted ponies” box in my closet and figured it must belong to that one. Someone bought it for $75. When I went to get the box out of the closet, I saw it belonged to one of the two remaining horses I had. I told her I didn’t have the correct box, thinking it was no big deal. She did the same thing your buyer did and flipped out. I tried explaining to her that she was buying the horse, not buying the box-that I appologised, but I wasn’t going to let her keep the money and the horse. I offered her I think, $5 for the box, and she accepted. I dont think she was too happy about it, but I made sure it was packed securely and arrived in one piece. Ever since then, I list everything as used.

If it didn’t come direct from the factory to the buyer, its used. If you, as a collector, buy something from a dealer and re-sell it, its easier to list it as used and say “no marks, no scuffs, comes with tag and box for shipping” or something. In addition to covering your butt, as a seller, it weeds out people expecting something pristine-even if your item is. (Hope that made sense ?)

Andrea
                                Participant

Yeah, I’m hoping she’ll at least let me know what she’s going to do.
                                  I have a buyer waiting for the dragon and I don’t know what to tell her.

At this point, there will be no partial refund. I’ve spent enough time and energy on it. If she wants to keep the dragon it will be at the price she paid for it. If she sends it back, she’ll get the full refund.

For the record, I don’t think she’s a nutbag or weirdo. Just a bit unreasonable.
                                  The problem is lack of decisions. Either take the refund or don’t. I don’t need a debate on why I should agree with her point of view and give a larger amount then I offered. All that was needed was “I don’t think $20 is adequate. I think I’d like a full refund and send the dragon back.”

She’s not been nasty other then calling the auction a lie and me unethical and sad. I’ve done my best to work it out and failing that offered a full refund. Not much more I can or will do.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.