What's a box and tag worth?

Home Forums Miscellany Community What's a box and tag worth?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Participant

So this last batch of Ebay stuff I sold was posted in a hurry and I didn’t do a good job in describing everything. I was in a hurry and I admit that.
      So I need help in getting a fair $ amount to refund.

The auction was for a Silver Curl that ended at $141.09.
      I listed the item as new because I didn’t see any damage to it.
      The buyer contacted me and said the tag was bent and it didn’t have the original box so isn’t considered new.
      I understand the tag. Some people put a value on it. But I didn’t mention a box and didn’t even consider it part of the auction. Maybe if it were a fitted box like an OW or Emp, I would understand more, but the curl boxes are the plain white boxes with a printed label.

So for the tag damage I offered $20 refund. The buyer is asking for $40.

I totally want to be fair and this isn’t an attmept to smear anyone. I value my Ebay feedback and always work with buyers when there’s a problem and have always come to an agreement. I felt really bad when I didn’t catch a chip on a dragon and they only wanted $20. I think $40 is a huge amount for a bent tag and curl box (that wasn’t mentioned in auction).
      And yes, I’ll be way more careful in changing the default from New to Used! :}

What is a tag worth?
      What is a Curlie box worth?

Andrea
      Participant

Sorry… It wasn’t $20 refund for the chip, it was $34.

Again, not trying to get out of paying for refund, just wanting a fair amount.
        After looking at the auction picture, the tag looked good. So the tag was bent during packaging.

I could send a curlie box and a tag off of my other Windstones for about $8.00 though I know the tag would be a pain to insert. But with a pair of tweezers, it’d be easier.

Thanks!

Jennifer
        Keymaster

I may be biased, but the tag is worth $0 to me and a curlie box (which is a generic small white box with the label as you said, and offers no more or less protection than a similarly sized ‘normal’ box) is worth the same… $0.

I think your $20 refund is very fair but that is my personal opinion only.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Leigha
          Participant

I agree with Jen. To me, a tag is worth $0, same with the box. The sculpt itself is in perfect condition and that’s the item they’re buying to begin with. Your offer to give them 20 back is more than fair.

kitsunelady
            Participant

I like having the tags, but could care less if they were bent. The only thing they do is add ‘authenticity’ to me. Their condition means nothing…to me, if it’s there, great. If it’s a little roughed-up or bent…big deal! I’m just going to tuck it under the thing anyways. It’s not like a Beanie Baby, where there’s no hiding it, or the piece is completely devalued without it! The box, however, holds no value in my eyes, other than as a way to safely ship or move a Windstone, assuming it is one of the form-fitted boxes (NOT a curl box). So to me, even $20 is too much. However, I also would have mentioned the tag being bent if I was selling something as mint, just because I do realize a lot of people are super-anal about that…so…$10, max. Nothing for the box. That can totally be faked, so what’s the point? All you need is a small white box and a printed out sticker!

moonbeam
              Participant

I also think that your 20$ offer is more than fair. Had you stated in your auction that there would be an “original” box, then I would understand the buyer, but in this case…
                If it isn´t specifically stated in an auction I always ask about tags or boxes before bidding. If the buyer didn´t do this, then it´s his own fault.
                I once won a brown young dragon who was stated as mint, but came with a small chip, that the seller overlooked. I only asked for a 5$ refund for that and got it without any problems.
                A bent tag is definately not worth 40$ (and in my opinion not even 20). Than you would do better to just get the piece back and sell it again, I think.

Good luck!

Syn
                Participant

A bent tag is definately not worth 40$ (and in my opinion not even 20). Than you would do better to just get the piece back and sell it again, I think.

Her demands are excessive. I also think you should tell the buyer you will refund her money, that you want the piece back, and that you will relist it.

Rachel
                  Participant

The box is worth nothing unless the auction specifically said “new in box.” The tag, well, if it’s worth more than $20 to the person, ask them to send it back and you’ll give them a full refund. I’m sure that the next bidder in line (probably less than a dollar difference) would be happy to pay for the curlie with a bent tag. Shipping is less than $10, even insured, for one of those. If it shows up broken, they should get no refund.

dragonmedley
                    Participant

Since I cut off the tags and I get rid of the boxes, I’m thinking 20$ is way too much.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Skeeterdeee
                      Participant

Her demands are excessive. I also think you should tell the buyer you will refund her money, that you want the piece back, and that you will relist it.

I agree. When I buy Windstones on eBay, if the listing does not say “with original box” I assume it’s not there. If it arrives and it’s in the original box -bonus- but I didn’t EXPECT it to be. The box should not be an issue.
                        A bent tag? $20? $40? To me the tags are annoying and worthless (yet I never remove them either, lol). I would tell the buyer that if they are THAT unhappy with it send it back.

Syn
                        Participant

Since I cut off the tags and I get rid of the boxes, I’m thinking 20$ is way too much.

EEK! Two pieces being in identical condition, I will always pay more for the one with the preformed box. Many things I will not even buy without the box, not only for safe shipping, but also for storing. These little generic boxes are not worth much, but I would still rather have it than not.

kitsunelady
                          Participant

I agree. When I buy Windstones on eBay, if the listing does not say “with original box” I assume it’s not there. If it arrives and it’s in the original box -bonus- but I didn’t EXPECT it to be.

Ditto.

Andrea
                            Participant

Need more input here…

I’m going to offer a full refund but not sure what to do about the shipping charges. Is that something the seller normally pays?

So if the dragon is sent back to me, do I refund the cost of the dragon, the cost of the dragon and original shipping, or cost of the dragon, original shipping AND shipping of the dragon back to me?

What is normal protocol for returns?

Thanks agian for all the input!

Skeeterdeee
                              Participant

It depends, Phoenix. When you listed it on ebay did you list is as “returns not accepted” or “returns accepted”? When I list, I always put “returns accepted, return shipping paid by buyer”. If something happens I refund the item price + original shipping, that way the buyer and I kinda split the loss. Refer back to the item page and that may help you decide what to do.

Skeeterdeee
                                Participant

Oh! And always wait until the item is back in your hands before giving any money back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.