fbpx

What do you want for Christmas?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody What do you want for Christmas?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

Melody wrote:

Anybody have a Cintiq? Do you like it?

I don’t have one but I’ve tried one. After 13 years of working with on tablet it felt awkward and like my hand was always in the way (which is funny because I don’t feel this way when doing traditional art!!). It also got really physically hot. Some people swear by them though!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Laurie
      Participant

No Christmas this year for us. We’re healthy so we’re blessed. But if I were to ask for something, it would be for my hunny to get enough work or I can sell enough stuff on evil bay to pay the bills until I start work again in the middle of January. 😳

Melody
        Keymaster

Jennifer wrote:

Melody wrote:

I don’t have one but I’ve tried one. After 13 years of working with on tablet it felt awkward and like my hand was always in the way (which is funny because I don’t feel this way when doing traditional art!!). It also got really physically hot. Some people swear by them though!They get HOT?
          – glad I asked! The only reason I really want one is to spare my poor neck! I want to be able to work looking down, as if I’m working on a drawing desk.
          Yeah, come to think of it,it is nice not to to have your hand in the picture isn’t it?

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Melody wrote:

Jennifer wrote:

Melody wrote:

I don’t have one but I’ve tried one. After 13 years of working with on tablet it felt awkward and like my hand was always in the way (which is funny because I don’t feel this way when doing traditional art!!). It also got really physically hot. Some people swear by them though!They get HOT?
            – glad I asked! The only reason I really want one is to spare my poor neck! I want to be able to work looking down, as if I’m working on a drawing desk.
            Yeah, come to think of it,it is nice not to to have your hand in the picture isn’t it?

Yes… I’ve heard that people will take thin gloves and cut out the index finger and thumb (the in-tact glove on the rest of the hand to shield it from the temperature) to be able to use them for long periods comfortably.
            I don’t know if this is ALL cintiqs or not. I’ve read that the small 12″ ones don’t get as hot as the large ones.
            I also understand that you need quite a few cords to set up and as such it’s not very portable.

Here’s a post on Concept Art by artists that describe their experiences: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158797

Could you get a reasonably good LCD flat screen monitor and set it up on a bevel, at a lower level so that you look down at it? Not directly down but a lot less than the 90Β° that you would have to with a normal screen? You could modify a desk or just build a lower shelf to set the screen on so that you can look down. Is that a silly idea? Like an old fashioned arcade game screen, set down and at an angle.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Melody
            Keymaster

Quote:

Yes… I’ve heard that people will take thin gloves and cut out the index finger and thumb (the in-tact glove on the rest of the hand to shield it from the temperature) to be able to use them for long periods comfortably.
              I don’t know if this is ALL cintiqs or not. I’ve read that the small 12″ ones don’t get as hot as the large ones.
              I also understand that you need quite a few cords to set up and as such it’s not very portable.

Here’s a post on Concept Art by artists that describe their experiences: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158797

Could you get a reasonably good LCD flat screen monitor and set it up on a bevel, at a lower level so that you look down at it? Not directly down but a lot less than the 90Β° that you would have to with a normal screen? You could modify a desk or just build a lower shelf to set the screen on so that you can look down. Is that a silly idea? Like an old fashioned arcade game screen, set down and at an angle.
              YES! I tried exactly that! I used boxes and duct tape and made myself a desk with a desk-level monitor, but there wasn’t a good way to have both tablet and monitor in the right place .The monitor still couldn’t be right under my nose where I wanted it, because I needed a place for the tablet and keyboard. I still had to break my neck to see the monitor. (This may be mostly an eyeglasses problem! Maybe it would be cheaper to get special computer-focus glasses…)
              I am getting along now with my laptop screen angled back and using a wacom tablet with that, but, cintiqs seem so cooool… Not that I do enough computer art to justify the expense!
              I wonder if the latest model of Cintiq has dealt with all the problems that people talk about on that blog?

Katherine
              Participant

eaglefeather831 wrote:

I want to be skinny. Seriously. lol
                I am working on it.
                But…..I would LOVE a video camera! I haven’t been able to take videos of Chloe and our family in such a long time (since my other camera broke). That is what I want the most. πŸ™‚

Yay! I got the video camera I wanted! My husband got a black friday deal, and got it quite a while ago for pretty cheap! πŸ™‚ I hope everyone else got what they wanted!!!

drag0nfeathers
                Participant

Foiled again! No Windstones AT ALL this year! *again* πŸ˜₯

Got a busted Windstone?
                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

siberakh1
                  Participant

Two windstone hatchlings, an airbrush with small compressor, a dvd, some cds, and some new pjs (still have one brother to come visit – postponed due to incoming blizzard, since he’ll get slammed with in MA). My dad got a sweater that my friend knit for him, on request of my mom. It’s to replace the one that I wear now that was knit about 40-45 years ago (yes… it older than me), that my mom accidentally shrunk not long after he got it. His sister-in-law wouldn’t knit him a new one. Even got a picture of him in his (still needs to be blocked out to stretch the arms to fit a little better), and me in the ‘original’. πŸ™‚

pipsxlch
                    Participant

I got a tip from a customer; along with getting paid for the ornaments i painted for church, it let me get my daughter a pair of jeans and a couple Schleich fairies, my husband a set of drill bits, and my mom a cool Oriental painting of cranes I saw at a thrift store. I got a giftcard to a restaurant and some painting stuff I’m going to see if I can return to Michaels (no receipt). No WIndstones, never are but my husband says we’ll see if that store still has the one he wanted to get me at tax time. πŸ™‚

etruscan
                      Participant

Gold sitting spectral – from my parents, by request. (Yay! :D) Actually, I asked for a spectral but didn’t know what color I was getting. I hadn’t looked forward to Christmas like this for years. 😳

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.