Unfortunate Update

Home Forums Miscellany Community Unfortunate Update

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Azurielle
    Participant

I am planning to have both of us do counselling for a while.
      I am finally home, with our son, and my husband will be home this week-end. I still feel really angry and tired, but I hopefully being home and having our routine return to normal will help. thanks again for all the support, and thoughts.

Keeper of the Fledgings

My heart goes out to the both of you. I second the thoughts of counselling and talking it out.

Setsunawolf
      Participant

“We were told the only thing we could do to save ourselves from the massive debt was to walk away from everything, even leaving behind all of his father’s/brother’s things besides photos and small personal items. So not only did his family die, but they left us with absolutely nothing. not even enough to bury them with.”

You need to talk to a probate lawyer in Florida. This does not sound accurate to me, and I checked with my mom who does probate work, but not in Florida.

You have 2 separate estates. The father died and his estate is probably insolvent. The father might have left bank accounts in joint tenancy w/ another individual. He might have left an annuity or investments w/ someone named as a pay on death beneficiary or joint tenant. These things would not be coupled w/ the mortgage loan and they pass outside of probate estate.

But the brother’s estate would not be coupled w/ the father’s estate. There is no reason to walk away from the brother’s estate unless he signed on the loan.

Nobody can make you assume the debt from this estate unless you voluntarily sign for it.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
        Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
        Sun Dragon Koi #3

darjeb
        Participant

My deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family at this very difficult time.

Rachel
          Participant

Nobody can make you assume the debt from this estate unless you voluntarily sign for it.

This. Hopefully things get sorted out without too much rigamarole.

Setsunawolf
            Participant

I don’t know azurielle personally, but if someone does they should let her know about the info in my post. She is still within the statues of limitation for filing since the deaths were so recent. It sounds to me like the bank is trying to snow her.

On a personal level I am sorry about your recent hardships. I hope things get easier.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
              Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
              Sun Dragon Koi #3

Azurielle
              Participant

Hi,
                Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

With the estate, it was actually a florida probate attorney who told us to walk away.

Keeper of the Fledgings

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.