Two Questions….

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Two Questions….

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    pipsxlch
    Participant

Cool experiment! My school was too boring for that.

I have a butterfly winged frog that came with a Barbie toy of my daughter’s. I stole it, it was too cute to be lost in the jetsam. A fairy frog, or very small dragon, would be just far out. (I’d think it would be great on a small- such as cowpie- sized dragon, perhaps with its features more gracile so it will appear lighter.)

Rusti
      Participant

Snapdragon wrote:

Nambroth wrote:

It was hydrogen.
        The ‘node’ in the dragon’s mouth was called Thor’s Thimble.
        The movie was based on Peter Dickinson’s book The Flight of Dragons, and the novel The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson.

I’m a bit of a fan. πŸ˜‰

But.. hydrogen goes POP when you burn it.. oxygen flames up. Didn’t you ever do the little experiment in school where you put 12VDC into a fish tank with the positive wire in one test tube and the negative in the other? The water breaks down under the power and fills one tube with oxygen and the other with hydrogen. You put a match into the hydrogen one and it goes POPOPOPOPOPOOPPOPO πŸ˜†

We did that one in high school chemistry. They hydrogen went more like *POW!* than ‘popopop’. We burned the hairs off our teacher’s arm with one jarful we had.

starbreeze wrote:

dragonessjade wrote:

Snapdragon wrote:

Nambroth wrote:

It was hydrogen.
        The ‘node’ in the dragon’s mouth was called Thor’s Thimble.
        The movie was based on Peter Dickinson’s book The Flight of Dragons, and the novel The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson.

I’m a bit of a fan. πŸ˜‰

But.. hydrogen goes POP when you burn it.. oxygen flames up. Didn’t you ever do the little experiment in school where you put 12VDC into a fish tank with the positive wire in one test tube and the negative in the other? The water breaks down under the power and fills one tube with oxygen and the other with hydrogen. You put a match into the hydrogen one and it goes POPOPOPOPOPOOPPOPO πŸ˜†
        I never did that experiment in school.

No….we never did that in school either. It does sound like something Snap would do πŸ™„
        I did dissect a frog tho, my lab partner (a boy) wouldn’t even touch it. haha

This thread reminds me of the time MIT “proved” that bumble bees couldn’t fly because they were to heavy for their wings to lift. At least I think it was MIT – anyway the formulas and calculations for lift when used with bumble bee dimensions showed that bumble bees can’t fly. Glad no one ever told the bumble bees!

Starbreeze
        Participant

hmmm…maybe that was me…I don’t like dissecting frogs. I dissected a shark once. πŸ˜€

SPark
          Participant

ddvm wrote:

This thread reminds me of the time MIT “proved” that bumble bees couldn’t fly because they were to heavy for their wings to lift. At least I think it was MIT – anyway the formulas and calculations for lift when used with bumble bee dimensions showed that bumble bees can’t fly. Glad no one ever told the bumble bees!

That’s a myth, actually.

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20040911/mathtrek.asp

There may have been a time when science didn’t know exactly how bumblebee flight worked, but nowadays you can actually calculate it and run it on a simulator, and it works just fine.

starbreeze wrote:

hmmm…maybe that was me…I don’t like dissecting frogs. I dissected a shark once. πŸ˜€

Wow, that must of been cool. Did it smell fishy? hehe

Starbreeze
            Participant

Yeah, it was pretty stinky. They let us bring it home so we could take the semicircular canals out of it’s ears for extra credit. My Mom made me work on it in the back yard. πŸ˜†

SPark wrote:

ddvm wrote:

That’s a myth, actually.

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20040911/mathtrek.asp

There may have been a time when science didn’t know exactly how bumblebee flight worked, but nowadays you can actually calculate it and run it on a simulator, and it works just fine.

Oh, man, I can’t believe that’s a myth – I’ve heard it so many times. Another illusion shattered! Thanks for the info, SPark! Learn something new every day! πŸ˜†

starbreeze wrote:

Yeah, it was pretty stinky. They let us bring it home so we could take the semicircular canals out of it’s ears for extra credit. My Mom made me work on it in the back yard. πŸ˜†

I bet. haha

Nytetyger wrote:

Dragon Master wrote:

Griffiness wrote:

Butterfly wings and Dragons are wrong……. hee hee πŸ˜†

Correct they are way to fragile and with the speed Dragons would fly they would be torn to threads

Small, handsized dragons with hollow bones like certain birds would do just find with butterfly wings. πŸ™‚ And considering their size, you could extrapolate these were a ‘purposefully bred’ sort of companion dragon (akin to having a lap dragon) that certain wizards might have created and imbrued with mystical energy to allow them to have delicate thin wings for fluttering about decoratively in the homes of those lucky enough to have one as a friend…

Putting limits on dragons is just plain silly… they are whatever they and their creator choose them to be. Magic happens in the oddest ways, and to poo poo a lovely thing like a butterfly winged dragon because it fails to fit your view of it is limiting. πŸ™‚

Enjoy the concept, or ignore it if it is that loathesome to your draconic way of thinking, and if one ever is made, just don’t pick one up if they’re not your mug of tea. πŸ˜€

They are not lovely they are compleatly wrong no Dragon should ever be put under such embarisment to have butterfly wings πŸ™„
              A company did a whole range of them i never brought anything from them again lol!

http://www.crystalsuk.co.uk/acatalog/Land_of_The_Dragons_Fantasy_Butterfly_Dragons.html

Yuck Yuck Yuck tacky Yuck.

This is only my oppinion i know we all love different things πŸ˜€

I think the idea is neat. I espically like the PYO dragons that have butterfly wings.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.