fbpx

The on-going horn shortage…

Home Forums Windstone Editions Windstone Store Discussion The on-going horn shortage…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    siberakh1
    Participant

so now the baby unicorn horns seem to be nearly gone, now can the problem be worked on? it’s getting really bad now and I don’t think anyone wants to see all the horned animals going basically extinct for a long time….and it makes no sense to me that we’re finally going to get the unicorn colt mold but only as a GB then who know when we’ll see them again?

fatal, Windstone has been working on the horns. John has been working with finding a method to make the horns themselves. However, the molds required are pocket molds. There is also more than that, which has been discussed in another thread already, regarding such things as the masters used for the horns. It’s not a simple cut and dry solution, but Windstone has been working on it.

fatalbeauty
      Participant

fatal, Windstone has been working on the horns. John has been working with finding a method to make the horns themselves. However, the molds required are pocket molds. There is also more than that, which has been discussed in another thread already, regarding such things as the masters used for the horns. It’s not a simple cut and dry solution, but Windstone has been working on it.

haven’t seen any talks of them working on it lately or for awhile to be honest, I just keep hearing the horn amounts getting lower and nothing said of fixes…

4 things I'm looking for:
        1. Mother Meerkat
        2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
        3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
        4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

rock-reader
        Participant

haven’t seen any talks of them working on it lately or for awhile to be honest, I just keep hearing the horn amounts getting lower and nothing said of fixes…

Fatalbeauty, when push comes to shove, Windstones is a business. We forum members have made our opinions known (both with words and with $$) so now we just have to trust that John, Melody and the crew make the most of their time and resources to supply us with what we want. I find it hard not to try to second guess them and try to solve their problems for them when they do write about them – boy, am I a schmutz! To think that I know their business better than they do and how to solve their problems!! (They have been very tolerant and kind with me) We need to be patient; Windstone is the most customer responsive company I’ve ever known and I’m sure they are working on the horn shortage with the proper priority.

Sorry if I come off a little pompus; I’m as frustrated as you are by the situation and I hate trying to be reasonable.

Susie
          Keymaster

When conditons are right we will have horns again. We need adequate TIME (Melody and John’s) and that annoying thing called FUNDS. Windstone doesn’t necessarily do things fast, we try to do them well, and if we listed everything on Melody and John’s “To Do List” it would be mind boggling. Please be patient, the Horn Delimma is on that list. Melody would not have sculpted a unicorn if she didn’t plan to have horns for it. Hang in there!

Copper83
            Participant

Just because they aren’t talking about it here doesn’t mean they aren’t working on it. Have a little faith, and patience.

Jennifer
              Keymaster

I know how frustrating it must be. The horn shortage and making new ones… well, it’s complicated! Trust me, though– Windstone is very keen on fixing it. Not only to appease the unicorn and horned dragon collectors, but because gosh they sure would like to sell them! It’s how they pay the bills! πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

shatterglass4kx
                Participant

I’m just throwing this out here. I think glass/crystal horns would look pretty nifty. Maybe I’m just weird.

Dandr13
                  Participant

I’m just throwing this out here. I think glass/crystal horns would look pretty nifty. Maybe I’m just weird.

On the right piece I bet those would look amazing, but they’d probably be harder to make than the metal ones. And much more fragile πŸ™‚

shatterglass4kx
                    Participant

On the right piece I bet those would look amazing, but they’d probably be harder to make than the metal ones. And much more fragile πŸ™‚

Yeah, I figured it wouldn’t be very doable. Still, the thought of different colored translucent horns makes me all tingly.

Melissa
                      Participant

When conditons are right we will have horns again. We need adequate TIME (Melody and John’s) and that annoying thing called FUNDS. Windstone doesn’t necessarily do things fast, we try to do them well, and if we listed everything on Melody and John’s “To Do List” it would be mind boggling. Please be patient, the Horn Delimma is on that list. Melody would not have sculpted a unicorn if she didn’t plan to have horns for it. Hang in there!

Time, can’t be helped (by us) I guess. But for funds, perhaps kickstarter could help? I’d be happy to forward funds for the purchase of say… the new baby unicorn, and am sure others would be too.

Susie
                        Keymaster

Whenever I see the word “kickstarter” I picture a large Boot! (I know that’s not helpful, but I had to share!) :p

Katrina
                          Participant

I was wondering if you guys have ever considered casting horns in something other than pewter? Other materials might be less fussy and easier to work with. If it is an issue of the gold plating sticking to other materials I know I personally don’t mind the gold being paint or leaf instead of actual gold. I would adore seeing clear horns made of that stuff they encase things in (crystal horns!) Supposedly it’s very easy to work with. You could probably even mix coloring agents in the stuff itself and not have to paint or plate.

Nightcrow
                            Participant

This was what I was actually thinking about – I know that pewter is a “nice”/”decorative quality” metal, but I’m not sure it’s worth all the expenses and difficulties that have gradually added themselves to it. What about aluminum horns? Aluminum’s lighter weight, but durable, and it’s not like it’s cheap potmetal; it’s fairly expensive/”nice”. It should be possible to gold-plate them, right? And it seems like it might be easier to find people able to work/cast aluminum (with its thousands of commercial uses) than pewter, which is pretty firmly stuck in the ‘decorative’ category…

In another vein: probably wildly impractical, but: picture, if you will, a Gothic unicorn in a dark color scheme with a blackened cast-iron horn spiraling from his brow. O.O

Which brings me, roundabout-ly, to something else I was thinking: I think a well-plated or well-coated junk-metal horn would also be beautiful and durable enough to adorn a Windstone! Honestly, I was thinking about some of the darker color schemes today (e.g. my BVP Warrior) and it occurred to me: imagine a glossy BLACK set of horns on a dragon like that! Not only would it look a little “more natural” (no animal I know of can produce a gold body part!), but it would look really nice in a collection that mixes older sculpts with natural horns (e.g. original family, whose horns were sculpted as part of the body) with newer, plated-horn sculpts!

Just a bunch of thoughts, in case anything like these ideas are currently under consideration and everyone’s wondering ‘but will the fans go for it?’ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

John
                              Keymaster

Pewter is, by far, the easiest metal to produce the horns with and some other metals, like aluminum, are hard to plate as well. We have simply had other priorities, but we did finally set up our casting equipment again and cast some small batches of horns. They still have to be finished and plated, so don’t expect much of anything until after Christmas.

Falcolf
                                Participant

This is still exciting! New horns, yee! πŸ˜€

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.