The 2012 Windstone Calendar Contest!

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone The 2012 Windstone Calendar Contest!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

I thought that this might be a lot of fun, and hope that everyone that wants to participate has a good time!

I am looking for your photos to put together into a 2012 Windstone Calendar: Windstones in their Natural Habitat!

The idea is to have a calender showing Windstones in your homes/yards/etc, instead of the typical “glamour shot with black background” that we do for the pieces. The idea is to choose 13 images from 13 different collectors (12 months + cover) and compile them into a calender for the Cafepress shop. This calender would then be for sale to anyone that wanted one. The calender’s cost will not be marked up, but sold at the base price– Windstone will not be making a penny on your photos. This is just for fun, for everyone! Not for profit.

Once the deadline is met, I’ll send all the photos to the Windstone Factory crew and they will select their favorite 13!

We are hoping to get a small (read: not valuable, NOT a Windstone) prize to each of the 13 winners, if possible. This might be a copy of the calendar, or a notecard, etc. I cannot promise anything yet!

To enter, please read the following rules carefully.

Rules:

1. The concept is “Windstones in their Natural Habitats”, and thus the focus is on the Windstone( s ) either in a home setting, or outdoors, etc. The idea is to be creative with your photo (see below for ideas and specs).
      2. You may use any photo that you yourself have taken, from past or present. It does not need to be a ‘new’ photo.
      3. You understand that, if selected, Windstone will be using your photo for publication in a calendar via Cafepress and you are granting us explicit permission to do so by entering your photo( s ).
      4. You may enter up to three (3) photos.
      5. Please, no repaints or altered Windstones (PYOs are okay).
      6. Your photo must conform to the base specifications outlined below or it might not be able to be printed. If your photo is selected but is unable to be printed, your photo will be forfeit and a different photo will be selected (not trying to be mean! Just making sure that the calendar isn’t one giant blurry pixel).
      7. Windstone employees may not enter, to be fair!
      8. Please, no photos containing people (I don’t want to mess with model releases), or any other trademarked/copyrighted objects (such as other people’s artwork, other collectibles, Pepsi cans, or sports memorabilia, etc etc). Props that don’t have any copyrights are okay (stuff like generic Christmas tree, your dog, a pair of socks, etc).
      9. Please, no text or photo-manipulation on the photo. Minor editing such as contrast, brightness, cropping, etc… are okay!
      10. Deadline for photo submission is midnight, October 31st, 2011.

Image specifications:

In order to print properly on the calendar, your source photo (the original photo without cropping or resizing) should meet the following requirements at a minimum:

1. It must be at least 1,800 pixels high at 200 dpi, or at least 2,700 pixels high at 72 dpi. It can be larger than this! The larger, the better! If you are not sure how big your source photo is, there are many folks here that are good with computers that can help you out! Most modern digital cameras will take photos large enough as long as you do not have the settings turned down. Most cellphone cameras are not quite up to par (though some of the new Droid/iphone cameras are good).
      2. Your photo should not be overly wide (panoramic) or overly tall. The format for the calendar is 9″ tall by 11.5″ wide. Your photo does not have to be this exact format but remember that horizontal formats fit better than vertical ones!
      3. You don’t need the best camera equipment in the world– just creativity! Photos that have good composition, are in focus, don’t have a lot of glare (overblown from a flash), and are overall creatively inspired will do better than normal snapshots! When thinking about your photo, consider your angle, background (is there a lot of clutter? dust?), lighting, etc. A few ideas: try experimenting with different lighting at different times of day… some pieces look great in sunset light, some don’t. What about extreme angles? Looking up at a piece from below can add interest! Sometimes close ups are fun, sometimes group shots… maybe an interaction between two different Windstones? Funny photos with fuzzies? Humor is a good angle (please remember, though, no manipulation or text on the photo).

To enter:

1. Select the photo( s ) you want to enter. You can enter up to three. You can post them all at once or spread it out. Up to you!
      2. Make sure that the photo( s ) will work. Are they big enough? In focus, etc?
      3. Keep a big, full-resolution copy on your computer. We will need it later if you win! Please keep the full-resolution to yourself for now.
      4. Make a copy of your image, and re-size it for the forum. Don’t save over your high resolution copy! You will need that later. Please make the forum copy no more than 700 pixels wide (that is as wide as it gets without cutting it off).
      5. Post your photo here! (If you need help posting a photo, see the ‘help’ section).

Here is an example of the type of photo that could work (ignore the text!):

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

scenceable
      Participant

This sounds awesome. I will enter for sure. I have a question though, can we have more than one windstone per photo? So if I wanted to have a photo with like, 3 baby unicorns or something. ๐Ÿ™‚

Carolyn
        Participant

Sounds fun . People here would love it . I’d love a copy of it when it’s done .

KoishiiKitty
          Participant

This sounds lovely! I’ll be participating for sure.

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

Oh yes! I will be participating in this!!! for sure!

Does it matter if we photograph “ebay pieces” or is it only regular production pieces?

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Jennifer
              Keymaster

This sounds awesome. I will enter for sure. I have a question though, can we have more than one windstone per photo? So if I wanted to have a photo with like, 3 baby unicorns or something. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, absolutely. There is no limit on the pieces. ๐Ÿ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Oh yes! I will be participating in this!!! for sure!

Does it matter if we photograph “ebay pieces” or is it only regular production pieces?

Anything as long as it’s not a repaint or altered piece. Altered as in eye colors changed, etc.

WolfenMachine
                  Participant

OMG this is so exciting!! (gosh darn it, always something this week to distract me from what I need to do LOL) I have one photo I took in mind, and at least another one I want to take. Its good you put a limit on it, or I know I’d be sending in like 10 pictures or more

darjeb
                    Participant

That’s great. Will you sell them in the Windstone Store or how? I would love to have one of the calendars

pipsxlch
                      Participant

I’ve got a whole slew of glamour shot photos of this boy at the beach; if there’s interest, I can send or post more. (I no longer own him; if his current owner would like the honor instead, let me know- I sent you the photos to use as you wanted)
                        Photobucket
                        These dragons now belong to my mom.
                        Photobucket
                        This guy is mine (when i get him out of hock anyhow)
                        Photobucket

Edit to delete some photos; I missed the limit and overindulged

Jasmine
                        Participant

My beautiful Opoponax OW

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
                          By munyeechan at 2011-09-21

briteblades
                          Participant

0_0 These are all gorgeous!!

WolfenMachine
                            Participant

Photobucket

Edit: This is “Sky” the Stray Cat. She’s not a stray any longer, she has a forever home here with me ๐Ÿ™‚

PurpleTurtle
                              Participant

Oooo! This sounds fun. I’m in ๐Ÿ™‚

lamortefille
                                Participant

What a great idea! It’s going to be one beautiful calender:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 214 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.