Spam PMs – July 11

Home Forums Windstone Editions Announcements Spam PMs – July 11

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Clay 6 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Clay
    Keymaster

Another spammer has surfaced and sent spam PMs to some people. The user name is Kayla Noyes, and PM title is “Hello.” Please simply delete the message; sorry for the inconvenience.

Clay
    Keymaster

A second account with the same user name was created to send out more spam PMs. That account has also now been flagged. Please simply delete any message from Kayla Noyes.

Susie
    Keymaster

Just to clarify how private messages work for those who have received their first one from a Spammer!

When another Windstone registered user sends you a Private Message the website sends you an email telling you have a private message. When you follow the link in that email and you are logged into our website, it takes you to the messages in your Windstone account. If you reply to that email from our website – it does not go to the sender of the private message – it goes to Susie (and she’ll let you know that she got your message by mistake).

When a spammer gets into the system they send Private Messages to Windstone accounts, they do not have your personal email address. If you receive a suspicious Private Message (such as from a stranger that says “hello dear”) do not follow any links on it, check our forum for messages from us about it, and if you see no report from us that there is spam, please email us at service@windstoneeditiions.com that you found a spammer so that we can block them.

Clay
    Keymaster

Everyone,

Just want to let you know that I will be working on this issue over the weekend. The spammers seem to be getting more frequent and more persistent, so I will look at different ways of combatting them. Spam prevention is always a balancing act–how to keep the spammers at bay, while keeping the site easy to use for legitimate community members. I will update you all on new spam prevention measures as soon as possible. Rest assured that your personal info (including your email address) is not at risk. The email you receive is from our site, notifying you that you have a new PM; it is not a message from the spammer directly. Sorry for the inconvenience, and stay tuned for the solution.

(I’m posting this on the other relevant threads as well)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.