fbpx

Question about the Market and such

Home Forums Miscellany Community Question about the Market and such

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Azurielle
    Participant

Do you all feel like anyone even buys any of the production stuff second hand anymore if it’s not a super limited or super rare piece? Just trying to see if I should bother taking the time to put anything up at this point. Life got bad real fast. Used to be able to sell a few pieces to make ends meet or cover some of it. Doesn’t seem like much moves anymore unless it’s a in demand grab-bag piece. Not even just Windstones either, but like every hobby. Time is limited more than ever. So not sure if I should even try?

Keeper of the Fledgings

etruscan
      Participant

Things are selling on ebay. I think also on the Forum, but I can’t check “Sold” results for that. If you need it, this is the ebay “Sold” link for Windstone pieces (I hope):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=10&_geositeid=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSRCHX%3ASRCH&_from=R40&_nkw=windstone+-GPS&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

pipsxlch
        Participant

That collection I helped sell this past summer, I only have 4 hatchers and 3 bigger pieces left. Most of it was production pieces. You are right to a degree though, things don’t seem to be moving as quickly or for as much as in years past. Most of my sales on this collection were on the Forum, only sold a few on eBay (two after no interest here, one was a repaint so went straight there). The eBay nibbles I have had have mostly been super lowball offers, they disappear when you don’t want to give the piece away.
          So stuff is moving some, but don’t expect great prices it seems. Tax time coming up should help.

Ela_Hara
          Participant

I think it also depends on what the piece is… I recently bought a older Production Baby Uni (Silver Gruella) that has been out of production for a number of years.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
            Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
            Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
            *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

merrillannwhite
            Participant

I think the older production pieces that there are still a lot of floating around don’t go for much because so many were made. The male, female, and hatching dragons in the original green, brown, and peacock show up a lot on eBay. So do the male, female, and baby unicorns in the original white. The other sculpts in those colors do better because they are not as common, and later production colors do better because they are less common as well. The white and emerald dragons show up a good bit, but not as much as the earlier ones, and the other colors show up rarely. Grab bags vary a lot depending on the sculpt and the color. I think baby unis are the most popular and are more likely to go for more than original store price. Test paints vary a lot too. You might consider doing a group picture add on here, and offer more photos to those who show an interest in a specific piece.

I hope life improves for you soon.

LZ
              Participant

Personally, I am looking for production things because I fell out of collecting WE for a long time. I am just trying to stay focused to scuplts I like the most, not collecting every single thing. If you don’t want to do photos and such, you can just do a listing up here with text only, and dig out your things if someone responds.

I do think the market is a little strange lately. It doesn’t help that the economy has been so bad for several years now, with super low buyer confidence being a big part of it. I’ve been selling almost everything I have, for reasons. My video games sold quickly, but I think I was lucky to find a really good collectors’ group on FB on the third try. Turned out my games were fairly rare, though they were unpopular at the time they all came out *coughcough* years ago. My Gundam Wing items sold well. The Care Bears and My Little Ponies didn’t have much value, but people still bought them quickly. The comic books and anime DVDs were nearly worthless, but otaku are some of the cheapest people out there, since you can download whatever you want if you know how to find it. I still got rid of almost all of it. What has me stumped is no one wanted my Fullmetal Alchemist merch. That series was super popular, still is, yet I had to sell it for almost nothing, as if forcing the stuff down people’s throats. I thought I would end up throwing away the Gundam Wing, not the FmA.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

Azurielle
                Participant

Thanks for the input. I’ll probably post a list of the stuff i can/will have to let go in the MP. Not worth selling on Ebay, yet. By the time they, and PP take their cut it’s hardly worth it anymore.

Keeper of the Fledgings

Kim
                  Blocked

I think production pieces still sell well on ebay especially if the prices are good because there are lots of people that go on ebay that are looking for older pieces they never got to buy in stores or maybe they are new collectors or old collectors looking to add or replace pieces. They also may sell here depending on what people are looking for. I usually post things here first because I like to give forum collectors a heads up if I have anything they might want and if they don’t sell in like a month I post them to ebay because there are so many buyers on there that don’t know to check here for stuff.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

I hear you and I agree to a large degree on this. The fees on ebay have gotten a little ridiculous and by the time it’s all said and done you kinda may as well keep the piece. That’s how I feel anyway. Seems to me the only things in high demand are (as always nowadays) are the grab bags. They are as beautiful as they are sought after, but it’s really taken the attention away from the production pieces.

The ebay pieces were the ones that folks had to scrap and save to get a chance to own a OOAK piece. Folks with stricter budgets gravitated to production pieces because they were more affordable. As time has gone on and people complained about not being able to win anything on ebay Melody introduced grab bags and as much as I’m sure it helped a lot of folks, I feel as if it has hurt the production sculptures supply and demand.

Maybe I am wrong and it’s just the market at the moment.

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

merrillannwhite
                      Participant

I think the appeal of the grab bag pieces is the amount of detail and the variety. I like grab bags, but my favorite sculpts are the larger ones. I think the old warrior, the oriental sun, and the male griffin are my faves. I keep looking for new orientals and griffins in the store.

etruscan
                        Participant

Perhaps our perception of what sells is biased by the “Classifieds” here on the Forum. If you review the first 200 items on the ebay “Sold” list for Windstones (basically covering the month of January) about 10 of them are grab bags – two or three unicorns, a few Poads, a fennec, and a wolf.

Of course the “Sold” listings do include the Windstone test paints, but even so the majority of sales are common production pieces. The prices may not be great, which is a whole different discussion, but things are selling.

Azurielle
                          Participant

Well, I put stuff up in classifieds. A little afraid selling on Ebay anymore with all the issues, not to mention how much they and paypal take in fees now, but if nothing moves in a couple of weeks, I suppose I won’t have much of choice.

Keeper of the Fledgings

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.