pyo kirin horn options

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody pyo kirin horn options

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rylorien
    Participant

I’ve read that you’re still having issues with horns for kirin so this question isn’t particularly relevant at the moment, but I was wondering if it would be possible to get alternative options for the PYO kirin horns at the time of purchase (similar to how we pick eyes/gems) once the horn shortage is resolved?

For example, the description of the color shift GB kirin mentioned that some had gold plated horns while others had silver plated. Likewise, there was a PYO kirin done some time ago that had an oriental dragon’s horn rather than a regular kirin horn and I found that extremely striking.

I’ve nothing against the regular gold horn but sometimes gold just doesn’t match!

Prezaurian
      Participant

I’ve read that you’re still having issues with horns for kirin so this question isn’t particularly relevant at the moment, but I was wondering if it would be possible to get alternative options for the PYO kirin horns at the time of purchase (similar to how we pick eyes/gems) once the horn shortage is resolved?

For example, the description of the color shift GB kirin mentioned that some had gold plated horns while others had silver plated. Likewise, there was a PYO kirin done some time ago that had an oriental dragon’s horn rather than a regular kirin horn and I found that extremely striking.

I’ve nothing against the regular gold horn but sometimes gold just doesn’t match!

Could just have the pyo kirin horn offered unplated like the pyo unicorn horn. Then you could paint it whatever you liked and Windstone wouldn’t have to spend time doing the gold plating. Though I will say that paint can never match the look of the gold plating.

Rylorien
        Participant

That might be possible, though I do agree with you in that the plating surpasses paint in appearance.

I’d still really like to see a few with oriental antler-esque horns, too…

Humdrum!

Melody
          Keymaster

We should be able to have silver pyo kirin and other horns… not sure why we don’t.
            Yes, one of the many many projects I am doing is kirin horns with more tines. prongs. whatever they are called.
            My main objective right now is getting the pyo Oriental dragon and his horns finished! Gad, that dragon is taking forever, and I keep finding new things that need fixing.

Pam

The PYO kirin horn in gold is the only one that we don’t have a shortage of. We have somewhere in the number of two thousand or more left over from the old factory in California. They are all gold-plated, though. We don’t have any that are plain silver. The problem with kirin horns involves how the molds are designed (something to do with seam lines?), and I don’t think we have figured out a way to cast more, yet. This means no more large kirin horns in either gold or silver for the time being, aside from what is leftover from California.

Ela_Hara
              Participant

We should be able to have silver pyo kirin and other horns… not sure why we don’t.
                Yes, one of the many many projects I am doing is kirin horns with more tines. prongs. whatever they are called.
                My main objective right now is getting the pyo Oriental dragon and his horns finished! Gad, that dragon is taking forever, and I keep finding new things that need fixing.

Yes! Yes! Yes! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Do finish the Oriental PYO! Yay! Yay! Yay! πŸ˜€
                Happy to hear that he is perhaps close to being a reality! :love:

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                Zeppard Adult Poads
                Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Prezaurian
                Participant

The PYO kirin horn in gold is the only one that we don’t have a shortage of. We have somewhere in the number of two thousand or more left over from the old factory in California. They are all gold-plated, though. We don’t have any that are plain silver. The problem with kirin horns involves how the molds are designed (something to do with seam lines?), and I don’t think we have figured out a way to cast more, yet. This means no more large kirin horns in either gold or silver for the time being, aside from what is leftover from California.

Oh gosh, seams! The bane of every mold caster I’m sure. Gaming companies that create miniatures get around that by having their customers deal with the flashing i.e. seams. You have to take a scalpel or sharp edge and carefully shave it off. With the kirin having such a smooth horn…I can’t begin to imagine the hassle of trying to create a type of one part mold that’s not just resistant to molten metal temperature but ALSO reusable. Bleh! πŸ˜› And what I’m describing is probably an oversimplification of the problem.

Christine
                  Participant

I wonder if the advances in 3D printing and the increased availability/lowering prices of the equipment might open up a whole new world for this sort of thing. πŸ™‚

Prezaurian
                    Participant

I wonder if the advances in 3D printing and the increased availability/lowering prices of the equipment might open up a whole new world for this sort of thing. πŸ™‚

That would be awesome! There IS a company that makes customizable miniatures using 3D printing (Hero Forge). A friend of mine got a custom miniature and they’ve asked me to paint it. I’ve discovered that it is going to be an absolute pain in the rear to paint. 3D printing apparently doesn’t create nice smooth surfaces. -sighs- The miniatures surface looks like it’s actually a super small topographic map. It’s a shame really. The minis aren’t good for painting with washes, but the fact that you can customize them so much makes up for it if you don’t care about painting them that way.

When they refine the technology I hope it makes that kind of problem go away.

Christine
                      Participant

That would be awesome! There IS a company that makes customizable miniatures using 3D printing (Hero Forge). A friend of mine got a custom miniature and they’ve asked me to paint it. I’ve discovered that it is going to be an absolute pain in the rear to paint. 3D printing apparently doesn’t create nice smooth surfaces. -sighs- The miniatures surface looks like it’s actually a super small topographic map. It’s a shame really. The minis aren’t good for painting with washes, but the fact that you can customize them so much makes up for it if you don’t care about painting them that way.

I know exactly what you’re talking about! I have a couple 3D printed pieces that an old coworker gave to me. His printer was a basic starter model so I wasn’t sure if there are industrial/professional models out there that minimize this issue. Maybe someday…

Prezaurian
                        Participant

I know exactly what you’re talking about! I have a couple 3D printed pieces that an old coworker gave to me. His printer was a basic starter model so I wasn’t sure if there are industrial/professional models out there that minimize this issue. Maybe someday…

Hopefully! In the meantime some people are playing around with 3D FOOD printers. One of them is called the ‘Foodini’. Isn’t that crazy!?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.