fbpx

Nature's Beauties

Home Forums Miscellany Community Nature's Beauties

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    pipsxlch
    Participant

Orchids! Most of what is currently in bloom at my house. Poor guys are getting a bit chilly the past couple weeks.

IMG_1601-Copy

pipsxlch
      Participant

Flower’s bigger than a soda can…
        IMG_1625-Copy

pipsxlch
        Participant

This one and especially the preceding cattleya smell so good
          IMG_1602-Copy

pipsxlch
          Participant

IMG_1624-Copy

pipsxlch
            Participant

My sister just gave me this one so I can’t take credit. I do have other Paphs though. This one hasn’t inflated properly, I bet the roots need help. This is a thirstier kind of orchid.
              IMG_1626

Bodine
              Participant

Thanks ladies😁
                Incredible orchids!You will have to walk me through that.Mine hasn’t died but seems dormant.Sitting in the window,light all day.What does it need?I ignore,mine dies.My bamboo finally started to grow.It was a tiny two leaf cutting,three years ago.

IMG_20190127_161502

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

pipsxlch
                Participant

That’s a Phalaenopsis- hmm, the roots look toasty, and the leaves dark. What direction does the window face? East is best, south or west with a little protection. Ideally leaves are a lighter green, dark often means not enough light. The potting material and especially pots the stores sell these in is often not too good. If it were mine, I’d take it out of the pot, soak it overnight (putting just a little fertilizer in the soak), and repot it in appropriate mix. What’s best depends on how often you water though! I can send an appropriate pot and mix, let me see what I have. Coarse bark for media if you water often, sphagnum moss if you don’t. (I use sphag on my phals.) Some people have great results using no potting mix ar all, but soaking daily then drying them out.

When the plant’s happier, these guys are seasonal bloomers. Cooler weather in the fall initiates bud formation; they open in the spring. Mine have buds busily forming now and I expect them to start opening around March. I would keep yours outside during the warmer months if possible, not bringing it back in until nights are dropping to the low 50s. A big happy plant can keep pushing new buds out all year. Mine aren’t there, though I did have blooms through midsummer.

Bodine
                  Participant

Thank you.Facing east,cold in the 20s&30s at night.What is best in the potting?

Bodine
                    Participant

Ozzy is still alive, surprisingly.
                      He has committed kamikaze three times now but I have saved him everytime.He leaps out of his little pond at random times.Came home the other day,he was on the porch with a 3″ tear on his side.I thought he was a gonner.I took him inside,threw you in a tank,he was not breathing.I kept moving him back and forth bringing him up top until he started moving his gills.I added meds to tge water and he recovered.He came back miraculously.I named him right,after Ozzy Osbourne.He just keeps on and on.😂I lost Rockstar,he wasn’t as tough sadly to say,he just died.
                      Ozzy is now 11″long from a zygo.He will he outgrowing his tub come summer.Anyone want him? He is a pretty champagne color with black and grey.

IMG_20190204_090856

IMG_20190204_090948

Ela_Hara
                      Participant

HA! I thought you named him ‘Ozzy’ as a nickname for ‘Kamikaze’ since he seems to want to commit suicide so much! LOL!
                        Fiesty Fish!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                        Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                        Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                        *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Bodine
                        Participant

Hey it’s a lucky name!😂
                          By the nature of Ozzy Os.,I bet he has had a few close calls too with a few battle scars.😂 Rough and tough and still rockin and rollin😎👏

Bodine
                          Participant

IMG_20190226_060505

This is FABULOUS! White Dove Orchid.Seeds are on Amazon.

Bodancia
                            Participant

Wow! pipsxlch, your orchids are beautiful! I LOVE orchids, but unfortunately, I kill them off not long after I get them. I’ve tried having a cattleya several times (Love their fragrance), but just haven’t seem to get the light exposure or watering just right. They have a big orchid show here every spring and I love to go and sniff!

Always looking for a lovely GB Young Unicorns, TP Male Dragons or TP Male Griffins!

pipsxlch
                              Participant

Bodine, the flowers really are beautiful, but PLEASE don’t fall for that scam! What they’re selling is NOT orchid seed, let alone of an egret orchid terribly hard to grow and not in general cultivation. Orchid seeds are highly specialized and don’t have a germ- the part of a seed that’s like an egg’s yolk, providing nutrition to a growing seedling. To sprout, they require the presence of certain fungi to provide nutrients until the seedling is developed enough to feed itself. The average home hobbyist can’t do it, you require a mini laboratory setup with sterile conditions. On top of that, it takes a long time to get them to bloom size- anywhere from 2-3 years under ideal conditions for some fast growing species, to 20-30 years for some slow growers even with ideal conditions. Now you can see a little of why they’re so expensive!

Does the ad show a picture of the seeds? All orchid seed is very fine, like powder. Most of these scammers will send seeds, but not of orchids. The people I know of who’ve fallen for it have ended up usually with either some sort of grass or four o’clocks.

Bodancia, I’m sorry you haven’t had luck with catts! They do like quite a bit of light, and not too much water. An eastern exposure is usually best, and how much water depends on what they’re being grown in. I would avoid sphagnum moss (and of course soil or peat) with catts, lava rock or large bark chunks would be best with perhaps a small amount of sphagnum mixed in.

Bodine
                                Participant

No worries Pip,not getting any.Just saw that flower and wanted to share.I have no luck growing orchids.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 371 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.