fbpx

My first Windstone arrived today! Collecting question..

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone My first Windstone arrived today! Collecting question..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Matty
    Participant

I am happy to share with the forum here.. that my first Windstone arrived in the mail and I am super happy. I should say Windstones because I ordered two! My violet flame mini secret keeper and tadpoad are sitting all lovely in my living room on a table. I named my mini secret keeper Firenze.. since he is all flamey and amazingly detailed. He looks like what I assume his large cousins would be. but in teeny tiny form! I love him lots. I also adore my little blind bag dart frog tadpoad. He are she.. not sure who they are yet.. is a deep blue that changes up to a greeny yellow. Very pretty.

I also had another notice from my post after picking them up, that the two Kirin PYO’s that I ordered also arrived. They are lovely to.. and I cant wait to paint them up!

So I am now at a crossroad of where to go for collecting.. I am still waiting for my Autumn Leaf Poad to arrive.. he just shipped out today..

I am debating about collecting the different pebble animals.. I really like the red foxes.. one is in gold and one in silver in the store.. and past editions look beautiful to. But then I am drawn to all the wonderful hatching dragons listed on ebay.. however the ebay auctions are fierce battles!

So my question is.. how do you guys collect?

Do you collect multiples of the same design.. different paints versions.. or collect a paint version overall of all the styles of windstones? Or do you just buy what calls to you?

I know I will be collecting the poads for sure.. I adore my little tadpoad already. What I like already about my mini keeper is he is small and a few of them can fit easily in a cabinet. I assume the same could be said of the pebble animals.
      Maybe one day I will adopt a larger dragon or unicorn!

Landipan
      Participant

Congrats on receiving your first Windstone! It’s the start of something great!

For me, I mostly just collect pebble foxes(any of them), I also love any of the ‘hoofer’ sculpts such as the Kirins,unicorns, etc. But I’m willing to buy any sculpt if it’s painted in a color scheme I go gaga over!

*Formerly meowmix101
        Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Kim
        Blocked

Congrats on getting your first Windstones! I know a lot of people collect certain sculpts based on what they like, like some people might collect mostly dragons or unicorns or poads, etc. But I think a lot of people here end up falling in love with more than one type of creature and end up collecting a few of each type in different colours or patterns. I started by collecting a couple fledgling dragons, then youngs in two different colours. Then I ended up buying a couple grab bag young poads and baby unicorns. Then I added in a couple colours of baby griffins, baby pegasus and baby kirins. Then I started acquiring more sizes and colours of pieces like baby dragons, hatchlings and mini keepers, as well as adult poads, baby poads and tadpoads and young unicorns and colts to make up families of sculpts. Then when pebbles came out, I ended up getting two different colours of each pebble animal.

I also bought some pyos for swaps and to paint myself as well as buying some painted by others to add to my collection. For numbers I have a few painted and unpainted pyos right now, 2 of each pebble with the exception of 6 cougars and 4-6 of each colour in most of my other sculpts, although I have about 10 of each in young poads, fantasy baby unicorns, fledgling dragons and baby dragons. So it’s been a process going from a few pieces to start with to quite a few over a few years. I would say there is no harm in diversifying a collection but it’s also fun to collect families of certain sculpts too. I like the idea of having at least a pair of everything but if you like different pieces maybe get one of each until you decide on some favourites you want more of.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Celestial Rainstorm
          Participant

I’m so glad you like them so far! They can get very addictive, so be careful! (They are indeed like potato chips). Essentially for myself, I really go off color and model. If a certain color I’ve fallen in love with (its no secret I love anything Autumn and Blue Morpho) looks good on a model I love, they shall be mine.

Being a gigantic dragon and gryphon fan, those are the two I have most of, while hoping to throw a few kirins in there as I love the way Windstone has designed them. I love Curlies and those have ended up being quite easy to collect, and Mini Keepers are probably my favorite model. I can’t wait to see your collection grow!

Finding happiness again.

Bodine
            Participant

Yay you,congrats on your new beauties.We look forward to seeing your Kirins.The MKS are a great piece to start with.I see a Windstone addiction in your future….just like us all.heehee

Every act matters.No matter how smallπŸ’ž
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day🀞Dream on.

Bodine
              Participant

Btw:I personally wish to collect them all.We have an interesting menagerie

Every act matters.No matter how smallπŸ’ž
                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                Male Hearth....one day🀞Dream on.

jmoore
                Participant

Welcome to the world of Windstone! For me, I am space-limited so I tend to collect the smaller sculpts. I have young dragons, mini keepers, curled dragons, tadpoads, and a handful of baby unicorns, kirins, and pegusai. I do know that some people collect “families” of different sculpts all in the same color. Even the grab bags in my collection tend to form “families” because they have similar or complementary colors.

jmoore
                  Participant

Oh and pebbles! I have some pebbles, too. πŸ™‚

etruscan
                    Participant

Congratulations on your first Windstones. It’s the first step on a long slippery slope (unless you have more will power than I do), but what a ride. πŸ™‚

As you have realized, there are many ways to organize your collection. Money and available space are always considerations!
                      Some people do try to assemble complete sets of each production and LP color.
                      Some people have favorite sculpts and concentrate on them.
                      Some people simply enjoy owning things that appeal to them, or love the gambling aspect of grab bags. Their collections seem to be more fluid (ongoing buying, selling, and trading as they find something they like better) so that is an option if you like the “social” aspects of collecting Windstones).

Life is easier if you avoid the ebay test paints – I speak from experience but don’t take my own advice. They are often the most interesting pieces but don’t always fit in with things you already have (different colors or more complex patterns), also true of grab bags on occasion. This may or may not bother you.

To answer your original question … “Do you collect multiples of the same design.. different paints versions.. or collect a paint version overall of all the styles of windstones? Or do you just buy what calls to you?”

All of the above. πŸ™‚ Since this is a collection, I feel that someday I should have one example of each sculpt that Melody creates, one example of each production and LP paint scheme, and one example from each Grab Bag. On the other hand, since I mostly buy what appeals to me, I have many versions of my favorite sculpts (curlies, Risers, and baby unicorns) and more than one of almost everything else. So maybe it’s more of an accumulation than a collection, but it makes me happy.

Bottom line … set up your collection in a way that appeals to you. You will be spending a surprising amount of money if you really get into Windstones so you should enjoy the result!

Betrluk1
                      Participant

My collection has changed a lot of the years. I did find after a bit that I was investing to much money though haha so I had to set limits on myself. I only really collect the baby unis, tadpoads, curled dragons, and from time to time will pick up shiny sparkly pieces in the pebbles. I could easily collect much more, but this is much easier on my pocket book.

Ela_Hara
                        Participant

I’m sure you will find a rhythm for your growing collection. I think the you should let your heart drive you.

My collection has changed and focused more over the three – almost four – years when I first started. My first sculpt was an old Brown Mother Dragon (Navara), who I still have and will never, ever get rid of. πŸ™‚

I’ve also collected some of the larger sculpts, like a Male Griffin, Scratching Dragon, and Mother and Male Dragons. My collection started with just different types of the dragon sculpts, but I found that I liked some dragon sculpts more than others, so I started trading and selling… then I found the PYO Swaps and Melody’s Grab Bags, and the Poads! So along the way I’ve done a good bit of trading and selling/buying as I’ve found which sculpts grew on me (Curlies! Poads, Pebbles, some Unis), and those sculpts which didn’t really hold my interest after a few months (such as the Coiled Dragon, Fat Cats, Tanukis, and recently the Pebble Horses).

I also have limited space, so my collection is now focused on colors and sculpts I love, and also smaller pieces. The only larger WS Production pieces I have left are my Navara ( I used to have three Mother sculpts), my Peacock Scratcher, an original Male Griffin, and my Test Paint Male Dragon, Indy, which I’m currently trying to re-home (he’s lonely in his box). The rest are many many Curlies – those keep multiplying – 4 Baby Unis, 2 GB Uni Colts, Several Poad ‘color’ families (Autumn Leaf, Safari, Hoppy, two special Grab Bag/Test Paints), 3 Baby Dragons in favorite colors, a few Gargoyles (3 eggs/2 Gargoylingus, wolf). I also have various PYO sculpts from PYO Swaps (Ki-Rins, Small Dragons, Kitsunes), several painted pieces from Bodine (Keepers and such) and from some other Forum Members (AND a Hippocampus from Melody, herself!), and a grab bag of various Pebble critters paired by color schemes (AWDs, Grey-Brindles, Siamese, Dark Mahogany), which are mostly the Red and Bat-Eared Foxes and Wolves… and two Lady Cats!

I also have several PYO sculpts that I want to paint, but for right now they are waiting in their boxes for when I have time. πŸ˜€

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                          Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Sikek
                          Participant

I just collect whatever appeals to me, which is normally the smaller sculpts because I prefer them and I’m limited for space too.

I’m usually interested in:
                            Natural or safari coloured unicorns/horses
                            Natural-ish coloured adult Poads
                            Koi Kirins

I also have a few pebbles and misc pieces.

Matty
                            Participant

So I had a good think on it.. plus I could swear that Firenze my little mini keeper has been sending me collecting vibes lol.. I am going to start with collecting the Pebble animals! It is happening unless a Sloat figure appears from the webcomics lol. I love my little mini keeper.. he is my main dragon… but looking around my house I have a very rustic/industrial look to my place. Living on the West Coast we are surrounded by such wonderful animals.. and I really feel that Melody has brought that out with her Pebble animals. So I just purchased the new silver sparkle wolf and the new red fox that is in gold to get me started. I am excited to see them! I also like the variations that came before those ones.. the Brindle ones.. and Wild Dog ones. I may be messaging people out in the classifieds!

I think to eventually I may get a pebble horse..

Of course my favorite animal of all time is the Unicorn.. which is funny that I haven’t bought a Windstone one yet.. but soon! We just haven’t found each other yet!

Nightcrow
                              Participant

Welcome to the wonderful (sometimes crazy-wonderful) world of Windstone collecting!

I started with just one “style” (dragons in a single color) and slowly branched out as I caught up to what was available. My own collection now covers several common collecting patterns:

1. Single species, single color – I have nearly all of the Western Dragons in White. (Plus Spectrals.) I also have a family of Oriental Dragons in Peacock. (I need a Moon Dragon!)
                                2. Single species, many colors – My griffins are collected this way. A Wolf male, a Silver Wolf chick, a Copper Patina female, a Black Sunset female, and a Black Sunset chick don’t have a lot in common except for their all being griffins!
                                2. Single sculpt, many colors (“conga line”) – I have over a dozen Lap Dragons in as many different colors as I can afford.
                                3. Blended family – I have the original 3 Kirin sculpts in original Brown, plus a couple of babies in Albino. (I plan to add an albino male, to create a truly blended three-parent family! If funds allow, I’d also like to add one or two of the “Collie” test paints, perhaps a female and baby, to the group, because their colors harmonize well with both the Albino and the Brown Kirins.)
                                4. Species (or sculpt) by color category – my Kirins would all be considered “natural” colors, as I don’t have any fantasy kirins. I also collect PYO Kitty Griffins with colors inspired by domestic cats and raptors. (I painted three, and commissioned one from another artist.)
                                5. DIY approach – I have a number of PYOs painted by me, to give them personal meaning. They’re a complete mix of species, colors and patterns, and inspirations (from Harry Potter to my own dog), but they’re united in being the work of my own hands. πŸ™‚

These all seem to be really common “styles” of collecting among the members here, though not everybody does all of them, and my collection doesn’t encompass all possible “styles”! You might also like:

6. Rarity – Some people only collect non-Production, non-LP pieces, such as Ebay Test Paints and Raffle prizes/other one-of-a-kind pieces, often signed, numbered, and/or with certificates of authenticity.
                                7. Release Type – Some collectors really love the Grab Bag way of life, with highly detailed but extremely varied paint jobs and a mix of sculpts, so they center their collecting around items released as grab bags. Others might decide on a “Production Only” approach, so they have more time to gain pieces and don’t have to spend as much; they could break it down further into a particular species, family, color category, etc. if desired. Or perhaps their preferred type of release is “pieces by Gina/Melody/Patricia Smith/other artist.”
                                8. Everything Ever – There’s a few lucky collectors whose motto seems to be, “If it’s got ‘Windstone’ on it, I need to own it!”
                                9. Representational – Some people don’t want to have too much of anything, so they go for the broadest survey of Windstone’s many gorgeous offerings. They might end up with a Mother & Male dragon in Peacock, a Hatcher and Young in Emerald, a Scratcher in Gold, etc. They could even diversify completely, and aim for just one of each sculpt with no two in the same color!
                                10. Whimsical – A few people don’t settle on any theme; they only know what they want when they lay eyes on it, and it doesn’t matter whether it goes with what they already have. (I tend to associate this style with the olden days, when Windstones were more often sold in physical stores: you might wander into a shop and see something you never dreamed of buying when it was just a picture in the catalog. This is how I ended up with a Peacock Oriental family in the midst of all my White Westerns!)

Welcome, again, to the Forums and to the Windstone collecting habit! I’m sure you’ll find your style as you go. πŸ™‚ And congratulations on the pieces you’ve already acquired!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Matty
                                Participant

I forgot to mention that I to ended up adding a grab bag horse to my collection.. waiting my fox, wolf, and horse to arrive. I just saw the golden pebble horses from Melodys facebook page.. so beautiful!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.