Million Dollar Duck!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Million Dollar Duck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

Artists, art appreciators, lovers of birds, conservationists, and anyone that is bored tomorrow: tune in Wednesday, September 14th, at 9pm EST on Animal Planet to catch this film. It’s about entering the Federal Duck Stamp… the strange world of niche artists that do it, what it’s like, and what it does for wildlife in the country. It’s very good, and worth a watch!! This is the only government-run art contest in the USA.
      If you don’t get animal planet (I hear you, I have no TV services myself), you can get it on itunes or amazon: http://www.themilliondollarduckfilm.com/

I have been getting a lot of questions over the Million Dollar Duck, I’ll happily answer the most common ones here. People know I won the duck stamp, so they often ask:

1) “Are you in the film?” No. Filming was shot mostly in the year (2013) leading up to my win. I offered to do an interview after I won but the producers were not interested. My 2013 painting is briefly in the film as a small icon among others (#82, Cinnamon teal). I did not make it past round 2 that year.

2) “Aren’t you a millionaire now?” No. The title of this film is a bit misleading, though it’s not untrue. Back at the height of the wildlife and sporting art market, in the 80s and part of the 90s, one could sell prints and market the rights to your winning image, and a few artists did indeed see returns of over a million dollars, when marketing cleverly and promoting sales. It is now 2016, and as you may have noticed, the market and economy are both quite different. Ask any wildlife artist that was selling prints in the late 80s to compare to today! It’s a mere shadow of an echo. There are many factors at play, but it boils down to: Unless you are wicked good at marketing your work, one can not expect to get “rich” off of the sales of prints. Marketing of the image is pretty much non-existent. Most of the places that marketed duck stamp imagery are long gone. As are most publishers, for that matter… making producing the print and distributing it a “full time” job for the artist, for a year. It was a good paying “job”, but it was a hard working and often stressful job. Worthwhile, but certainly not a way to make easy money or “get rich”. The film suggests that there is still big money in marketing the image, and shows it on things like mugs, etc. Keen observers will notice those stamp designs are well over 10 years old… marketing of this type has simply died out.

3) “Do you know the people in the film?” Yes; I have met most of them, and chatted with a few others online. I’ve known Dee Dee, the lady with the painting dog (you read that right), the longest, she is a sweet lady and I hope she wins one day!

If you guys have any other questions now or after the film comes out, just let me know!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Ela_Hara
      Participant

Hey Jennifer!
        I was going to mention and ask about this upcoming spot… I’ve been seeing the previews about it on Animal Planet for the past couple weeks. And I thought that I did see a quick shot of you holding your Duck painting near the end of the TV preview for the movie – it’s different from the online Movie Trailer you linked to…perhaps it was the 2013 one? I’m surprised that you won’t be in it, and a little disappointed in the Producers to tell the truth, that you say you weren’t interviewed, especially since not many women have won.

I was also a really disappointed that I couldn’t get away and see you when you were in Easton, MD last Fall at the Waterfowl Festival… my stars just didn’t line up. My Hubby and I don’t Waterfowl hunt but do Deer hunt, and it was really cool to tell our hunting friends about you and your winning painting last year. Now I’ve got to find a fitting matt and frame for my autographed Duck Stamp. 😀

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
        Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
        Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
        *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Jennifer
        Keymaster

I think you are seeing Rebekah holding her redhead painting, in the TV preview. I was never filmed at all. She is tall and at a glance we look a bit alike! Even though I am not in it (I’m kinda glad…) it’s a really good film and worth the time to watch it.

So sorry our stars didn’t line up to meet in Easton. I might be back, either to show or help out at the show, not this year but in the future!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Did anyone catch this on TV?

rock-reader
            Participant

I just saw your thread right now. Maybe they will run it again.

Jennifer
              Keymaster

They will probably run it again, but for now you can see it free online: https://www.animalplanetgo.com/the-million-dollar-duck/the-million-dollar-duck/

Jasmine
                Participant

This is just my kind of niche documentary for a blustery Monday morning off. ^^ Bookmarked!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.