Mad,mad,mad weather

Home Forums Miscellany Community Mad,mad,mad weather

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 300 total)
  • Author
    pipsxlch
    Participant

I’m glad you weren’t there, Pegasi! Straight line winds can cause a lot of damage, been there done that. And golf ball size hail, ouch!

Bodine, I’d be delighted to take that rain off your hands. We actually got some rain yesterday and the day before, it was a cause for celebration. We’re having a pretty good drought here, and have already been in the upper 90s.

Pegasi1978
      Participant

Well last night it was our park’s turn for the bad weather. Tornado sirens went off just before 11pm. We sheltered with campers in the bathhouse. After the all clear, my husband was thinking that it was just some trees down here and there, including one or two that fell on an RV camper (no one inside so no injuries). Power was out until sometime between 12 and 2 (my glasses weren’t on and my phone was barely charged).

In the light of day it looks worse (not as bad as Wind Creek or Joe Wheeler). The roads are all clear, but the hiking trails are all blocked. We are on the edge of a lake and the park has a boardwalk out to a small island with trails. My husband suspects a tornado touched down there, moved across the water, crossed the “mainland” trails, then headed further into town.

Here’s some pictures of a few of the blocked trails.

FB_IMG_1587415441855

FB_IMG_1587415435249

FB_IMG_1587415429676

FB_IMG_1587398976400

Ela_Hara
        Participant

Good Gawd! We have a mini-Heat Wave of Dangerously High Heat Index days going and today was the first day….
          The temp was only 98 degrees but with the humidity it was way over 100+ in the Heat Index. For example…right now at 6:45pm we have a 93 degree temp and 70% humidity, which makes the Heat Index (what it feels like) 116 decrees!
          Tomorrow’s expected high temp is 100 degrees! Ouch! I’m staying inside for sure! We don’t see any relief coming until around Thursday!
          Keep COOL everyone!

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
          Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Bodine
          Participant

Same here.100+heat index for the past 2weeks.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

etruscan
            Participant

Everyone in the path of Isaias stay safe! Forecast is that we in the Washington, DC/Baltimore area will get heavy rain but (maybe) not really strong winds. Time will tell …

Ferlin1984
              Participant

We are currently getting hit by it. Eastern NC coast. Same as Florence. They are still homes with tarps on them from Florence.
                It’s a cat 1 so not bad but it’s the tornadoes that pop up that make me worry. And of course it’s like this during the night so no sleep for this mamma. It’s moving fast but really noisy and raining HARD.
                Netflix binge tonight to stay awake and a nap tomorrow. Stay safe!

Bodine
                Participant

Gulf Coast is getting it’s turn now.Be safe out there.
                  You folks on the west coast having to deal with the fires and such bad air,cutting back electric,poor animals,my heart goes out to you.God bless y’all and keep you safe.

Ela_Hara
                  Participant

You keep safe too Bodine with all those Hurricanes and Tropical storms going up the Gulf Coast and inland through MS! Thinking and praying for All you guys around Fire and Rain storms!

pipsxlch
                    Participant

Please be safe Bodine and everyone! Sally came through here over the weekend, but was just squally weather at that point.

Pegasi1978
                      Participant

So far Sally’s been a bunch of rain here in south central Alabama. Schools are canceled tomorrow in preparation for weather with a decision for Thursday waiting on how things fair tomorrow.

Bodine
                        Participant

I am in the clear my friends but our friends in Ala.& the panhandle are getting hammered.It is crawling along which means more and more water.Be safe out there.

Bodine
                          Participant

I kind of miss the storms.The wild weather is exhilarating.Primal.I have seen some amazing things because of hurricanes.A huge tree struck by lightning and split right in half.It burned all during Hurr.Betsy.I saw boats sitting in trees from Hurr.Katrina.I have seen Wal-Mart completely underwater,just the roof showing while it set in a body of water that I couldn’t see the end of from Hurr.Charlie.I have seen trees broken in pieces that glowed in the dark inside of it.I have seen a friend’s house just lift and float down the river behind my place while I didn’t have but 2″of water in my yard.I watched a tree just slowly fall over almost in slow motion and cut a home in half.The occupants had only been gone about 2hrs..
                            One of the most amusing things I have seen though was a gator just floating lazily with current of the high water and a turtle on it’s head.They bring deaf and destruction I personally do know but I can’t help but love to be out in the wild weather.

Ela_Hara
                            Participant

I know what you mean. I love to watch a thunderstorm roll in with all the black boiling clouds coming slowly towards you. When we were young, my brother and I would sit for hours at windows watching the lightning ‘show’ during the worst storms as well – to the chagrin of my Mom… Nature is indeed terrible and awesome at the same time!

Bodine
                              Participant

I know right?😃
                                My foster mom beat my butt for being out on the porch watching that tree burn.I was too young to realize the danger I was just fascinated watching it burn.I remember wondering how fire could burn in pouring rain.
                                Right now I am enjoying one of the benefits of a near hit storm.Fresh air.We are getting the tropical breezes from it and it is so nice out here right now.I am on the porch watching the fish be fish,no mosquitoes,winds blew them away,just kicked back😊
                                I hope all our friends in the path stay safe and don’t lose their homes.

Pegasi1978
                                Participant

This is boat launch pier here on park at 10 am on top, 1 pm bottom left, 5 pm bottom right.

20200916_213208

This bridge runs near the spill way for the dam that forms Lake Frank Jackson. The water is normally 10 or 11 foot below the bridge. My husband said it was about two foot below the bridge. The pine trees lower branches are about 8 foot up and the water was easily covering half that.

The steady rain finally stopped late this afternoon and now we have the lite misty rain.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 300 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.