last second Ebay bidders…

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone last second Ebay bidders…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Rylorien
    Participant

Does anyone else have a problem with people that do this? Personally I kind of find it despicable and sneaky, at the least dishonorable, especially when they bid REALLY HIGH at the last second so you can’t even counter it (and if you try to, you just hit a wall of prices). It’s just kind of disappointing to see that kind of trickery just for personal gain; I mean, if you’re going to bid high at least be honest about it. ๐Ÿ™

This honestly isn’t even directly Windstone-related (though I suppose it could pertain to them too). I was bidding on a few things in an attempt to get ahead of the Christmas rush, one of which was a vintage Transformer my brother has been looking for for aaaages…and had the winning bid on ’til the literal last second. No changes at all then bam, my max bid was suddenly the next bid minimum. Arrrrrg. So frustrating!

Kim
      Blocked

The thing that bugs me though is people who snipe as a game almost just to see if they can win something. I am not saying people do that here but there have been pieces I really wanted in the past and clearly let others know and bid my max and then got sniped at the end only to see that person turn around and re-sell or trade that item later. So it’s almost like they didn’t really want it but just sniped it for fun and that is not fun for people who were watching the item for 7 days who really wanted it! If I see others really want an item more than I do, I don’t bid on it period. I only bid on things I love.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

JynXx
        Participant

Just out of curiosity, how do you know if the other bidders are forum members? *scratches head in puzzlement* ๐Ÿ™‚

tdm ๐Ÿ™‚

I go to the bid history of items I know a specific User has won, and check their bid alias. If the letters and Feedback #s are consistent with other items I know they’ve won, I can be pretty certain on who it is ๐Ÿ™‚
          Like I said in a different Topic, everyone has two eBay aliases. For example, my bid history alias is “k***e”, but my Feedback history alias is “k***h”. Those letters won’t change unless I change my name. In which case, a name change icon will appear next to it for 30 days.

The thing that bugs me though is people who snipe as a game almost just to see if they can win something. I am not saying people do that here but there have been pieces I really wanted in the past and clearly let others know and bid my max and then got sniped at the end only to see that person turn around and re-sell or trade that item later. So it’s almost like they didn’t really want it but just sniped it for fun and that is not fun for people who were watching the item for 7 days who really wanted it! If I see others really want an item more than I do, I don’t bid on it period. I only bid on things I love.

I agree with you here, Kim. I also only bid on pieces I love. There are pieces that I’ve said that I absolutely MUST have, only to end up paying a LOT for IF I even bid on them at all. There was an incident not too long afterward of a Test Paint Ki’Rin selling for less than half the amount it should have sold for because someone said it was a Grail piece. Still, all is fair game on eBay. I just prefer to be courteous. I really don’t have to be ๐Ÿ™‚

โ†žโ†žโ‰ชโˆ™ FOREVER SEEKING โ€ขโ†Ÿโ€ข

โ€ข โ–บ By Patricia Smith โ—„ โ€ข
          โ˜™ "SKY BRONZE" Emperor Dragon
          โœพ "RAINBOW ASAGI" Moon Oriental Dragon
          โœพ "RAINBOW TIGER" Sun Oriental Dragon

โ€ข โ–บ By Melody โ—„ โ€ข
          โ˜™ "Test Paint #5" GB '15 PUMA
          โ˜™ #170 FANTASY GB '22 Young Qi'Lin
          โ˜™ #224 KOI GB '22 Young Qi'Lin

littleironhorse
          Participant

It may sometimes seem that way, but I doubt that it truly is. Unless someone has major free cash to throw around, that would be an expensive game to play with no guarantee of recovering your money on a resale.

There are a lot of possibilities why buyers may resell or trade an item:

– Buyer’s remorse
            – Sudden unplanned expense or loss of income
            – Loved it on eBay, but not so much in person
            – Got caught up in bidding fever – close cousin to buyer’s remorse ๐Ÿ˜‰
            – Specifically bought as a trade piece if a Forum member has something else that the buyer wants
            – Anything else I can’t think of right now…

Nightcrow
            Participant

I actually much prefer last minute bidders – it saves everyone money because people aren’t going back and forth one upping each other in a pissing contest . Bottom line – bid as high as you’re willing to pay – if the other person gets it, they get it. If you would have paid more, no one is stopping you from bidding more. I don’t agree with calling someone “sneaky” because they were willing to pay more than another bidder.

This is how I feel, too; last-minute bids just seem more efficient to me! After all, there’s nothing stopping eighteen different people from putting in a last-minute bid; Ebay will sort out whose bid is highest, saving everybody from having to inch the price up bit by bit and maybe get caught up and swept into bidding more than they’d planned. It also means you don’t have to check on your bid every single day and keep re-bidding (or bite your nails hoping somebody hasn’t pushed it up past your maximum amount and now you have to watch the auction go on for days while knowing you can’t have it).

*shrug* I don’t do well with tension, I guess! I just want to make my max offer and find out immediately if I’m going to get a dragon or not, so I don’t have to suffer. ๐Ÿ™‚ (I ended up not even bidding on the Lap Dragon I wanted on Ebay last week, because I waited till the last minute and by the time I was ready to put in a bid, it’d gone higher than I could go. So I was disappointed I didn’t get it, but I didn’t have to angst over it for four days, at least!)

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

rachelled
              Participant

I have no problem with it.

If I didn’t place my max bid and it was outbid at the last second – that’s my fault, not theirs! :p

I feel a lot better placing my ACTUAL max bid, that way if a sniper gets me, it’s just something I couldn’t afford anyway.

Nightcrow
                Participant

As others have said – unless you know the market for that kind of item really well, it would be really risky! And the people who know the market really well for Windstones are… basically us. ;D

Also, you say “they just sniped it for fun, which isn’t fun for the people who were watching it for seven days” — but how do you know they weren’t watching it for seven days, too? They could well have been waiting just as long as you for the auction to end, checking the current bid amount to make sure it hasn’t gone over their budget and hoping their max bid will be enough.

I’ve seen a number of people on the Forums reselling things because either 1) they got it and decided that, in person, it wasn’t quite what they wanted; or 2) something unexpected came up (car repair, vet expense) after they got the item and they need the money.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Skeeterdeee
                  Participant

I’m a last second bidder for one reason, and one reason only: it keeps my spending in check. If I bid the maximum of what I think the item is worth to me at the last second and then get outbid, I don’t have time to bid again! If I don’t do this I will continue to bid thinking, “Just a couple bucks more! Just a couple more! maybe I can still win it!!”…until I’m at a number I regret! Sometimes I win by a few bucks, sometimes I lose the auction by hundreds, etc. I HAVE to bid at the last second, because even if I don’t REALLY love the item I will keep bidding because I just HAVE TO WIN! It’s an adrenaline rush! I snipe for my own good XD

rachelled
                    Participant

I’m a last second bidder for one reason, and one reason only: it keeps my spending in check. If I bid the maximum of what I think the item is worth to me at the last second and then get outbid, I don’t have time to bid again! If I don’t do this I will continue to bid thinking, “Just a couple bucks more! Just a couple more! maybe I can still win it!!”…until I’m at a number I regret! Sometimes I win by a few bucks, sometimes I lose the auction by hundreds, etc. I HAVE to bid at the last second, because even if I don’t REALLY love the item I will keep bidding because I just HAVE TO WIN! It’s an adrenaline rush! I snipe for my own good XD

I’ve done this before! For me, a bidwar is a good way to end up with an item I love, but at a price I couldn’t technically afford. :p Better just to put in one bid and be done. If I do this, waiting til the end makes the most sense.

Heather
                      Participant

I actually much prefer last minute bidders – it saves everyone money because people aren’t going back and forth one upping each other in a pissing contest . Bottom line – bid as high as you’re willing to pay – if the other person gets it, they get it. If you would have paid more, no one is stopping you from bidding more. I don’t agree with calling someone “sneaky” because they were willing to pay more than another bidder.

This is how I feel, too; last-minute bids just seem more efficient to me! After all, there’s nothing stopping eighteen different people from putting in a last-minute bid; Ebay will sort out whose bid is highest, saving everybody from having to inch the price up bit by bit and maybe get caught up and swept into bidding more than they’d planned. It also means you don’t have to check on your bid every single day and keep re-bidding (or bite your nails hoping somebody hasn’t pushed it up past your maximum amount and now you have to watch the auction go on for days while knowing you can’t have it).

*shrug* I don’t do well with tension, I guess! I just want to make my max offer and find out immediately if I’m going to get a dragon or not, so I don’t have to suffer. ๐Ÿ™‚ (I ended up not even bidding on the Lap Dragon I wanted on Ebay last week, because I waited till the last minute and by the time I was ready to put in a bid, it’d gone higher than I could go. So I was disappointed I didn’t get it, but I didn’t have to angst over it for four days, at least!)

Ooh what Lap Dragon was that?

KaytanaPhoenix
                        Participant

I’m a last second bidder cause I see no point in running the price up on myself.. and as many have said, it keeps me in check! lol.. I have a max amount in my head of what I am willing to spend, I put that in, push the button and see where the cards fall… I have been outbid by the person who held the high bid for the whole week, I have been outbid by someone new, and once in a while, I’ll win… all those times I lose, I simply chalk it up to ‘they wanted it more than I did/They could afford it more than I could, and good for the seller for getting that price!” I never do the mistake of thinking it is mine until I am paying for it, lol… – Hell, on Windstones especially, I *know* the price that held all week is /nothing/ like the selling price will be if it’s a sought after piece…

Now for those who think last second bidders just sneak in and take it away with 0 effort or for the fun of it… anytime I last second bid, I have watched the item very closely since I first saw it, evaluating what I think I’ll put in for my max bid… I’ve also talked myself out of a lot of the pieces I watch by the time it’s the end of the auction, I realize I don’t want it as bad as I originally thought I did… and then there are those ‘ah dang it!’ moments, when I completely forget about an auction XD

It’s simply a tactic, and honestly.. a good one if you know how to do it…

Sikek
                          Participant

Auctions are too stressful.

I usually gauge interest first by putting in a mid bid, watch and think about it for the rest of the week and then either give it up or put in my high max bid 2 or so min before the auction ends (in case of Internet drop outs or interruptions).

Personally, I like to see some early bidding first just to get an idea of how popular the item might be. Otherwise I’m in the dark trying to work out how much I want it and for what price.

Nightcrow
                            Participant

The “Water Sprite” test paint Lap Dragon! *wistful sigh* I yearned after her for days! And then I actually ended up missing the end of the auction by about ten minutes, but as the closing price was higher than my max would’ve been (by about, uh, $40-50, wow!) I wouldn’t have won anyway.

Heather
                              Participant

The “Water Sprite” test paint Lap Dragon! *wistful sigh* I yearned after her for days! And then I actually ended up missing the end of the auction by about ten minutes, but as the closing price was higher than my max would’ve been (by about, uh, $40-50, wow!) I wouldn’t have won anyway.

I figured it was her. Your wallet must have been happy at least! I really wanted her too but I didn’t even bother trying to get into the bidding because there are still production pieces I want so I’m not ready yet to pay double or more for special items.

phantomess
                                Participant

I’m not a big fan of e-bay partly for this reason. I don’t hate people for sniping, but it annoys the crap out of me. I’ve actually only bid on 2 Windstone things ever. The first one was before I even realized people sniped. It was a certain dragon I really wanted to have because I collect dragons AND military/camo stuff, and this was a camo dragon (also was a sculpt I did not own). Obviously lost that one at the last second by like 5 dollars. It’s not like I wouldn’t have been willing to pay 5 bucks more, but I of course had to put some number as my max bid. That’s the problem. They’ll always get it for just barely higher than your max, which means you probably would’ve paid that much too, but by sniping you weren’t given a chance.
                                  (I’ve actually been kicking myself over that bid for quite some time, because I’ve since learned that the price it went for was a really good deal for a test paint- even production colors of that sculpt often go for as much!)

I’d prefer people to be open from the beginning by bidding to show their interest and what they’re thinking of spending on it, and then if you feel like putting in a bid and then maybe a higher one, you can. Like traditional bidding. It gives you time to figure out if you want to or can spend more, and also, it may be impossible for some people (especially those of us without smartphones) to be online at the time bidding ends. I don’t think people should have to plan their lives around being online at the precise moment to have a chance for that. I don’t see how that’s considered easier than bidding at your leisure.

If I sounded butthurt in this post, well, I’m not really. Those are my thoughts but my feelings on it aren’t particularly strong, and it doesn’t affect me much since I usually don’t have the money to bid on much of anything anyhow.

Formerly had the Batman & Joker avatar!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.