Job woes/Employers

Home Forums Miscellany Community Job woes/Employers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kujacker
    Participant

Rant about jobs and employers.

It is extremely annoying when employers never get back to you. I’ve been trying to get just a basic, however-low-it-maybe paying job for awhile now. I applied at a store in town a couple weeks ago for a cashier position. They liked me, and scheduled me for a second interview. The second interview went like this:
      “I think because of your management experience, you would be better suited at another one of our stores”
      and I get sent off and scheduled for a THIRD interview. The third interview goes well, and the manager I would be working under says YES, he wants me to work there but I must wait for the district manager (the one from the second interview) to interview me a FOURTH time. He told me that I should be getting a call on Monday or Tuesday (last week, the 6th and 7th). He later called me on Sunday and tells me that the district manager WILL call me on Monday. Obviously, I never got the call.

To give you an idea of how much I don’t make… my entire paycheck for the whole month of January was… $58 dollars. Yes. I made $58 for the entire month of January. Had I not been saving every cent I had to my name, I would have never been able to pay my bills last month. This month, if I don’t spend a CENT more, after paying my bills I will have $8 left in my bank account… and that’s assuming I’ve done the math correct to the T.
      Oh, and to give an idea of how LITTLE I need each month, my monthly bills total no more than $250. So when you realize that, and that every month is a struggle to pay that small amount of money, you can realize why I get SO incredibly frustrated that employers don’t call back. Even if I had a minimum paying part time job, I could pay my bills each month easy.
      When I say “I can’t afford to put gas in my truck”, it is literal. My truck lives on empty. I do own a motorcycle, but 90% of the time it’s not possible to use it. My job generally requires me to bring stuff to work, and that amount of stuff is much more than can fit in a backpack. So while I get 80 mpg on the bike, and only costs $10 to fill the tank, I can only really use it once in a great while. The bike is a 2009, I bought it brand new, and it only has a little over 1000 miles on it.

I applied for just a cashier job, was basically told I was over qualified for the job, and then get the run around and now, apparently no job. Why is it so hard to get a job? Why does it matter that I’m “overqualified” for a certain job? I don’t care! I want to work, I want to be able to be money-stress free. Why is it so ridiculous to get a job? T__T If someone wants to do the lowest job available, why not just let them do it instead of saying “No, we won’t give you this job because you can do better”? How about you let ME decide what I am willing to do or not do!
      Arhg.

dragonmedley
      Participant

Hugs!

Remember, them employers might be really busy with other stuff too. They need someone, but they just can’t get organized enough to make a quick decision. Hopefully, you WILL get that call!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Kujacker
        Participant

Hugs!

Remember, them employers might be really busy with other stuff too. They need someone, but they just can’t get organized enough to make a quick decision. Hopefully, you WILL get that call!

Yes, I am still hoping that I will get that call. But it has happened in the past where I was told I was wanted and would be hired, and then never heard from them again. I can’t help but wonder if maybe they are trying to be “nice” and just say stuff like that even when they know they don’t want you. I’d rather them be upfront about it so I’m not left hoping and wondering.

Ann

I know the feeling. I was looking for anything for the last six months, but my masters made me too qualified for retail stores and there just aren’t jobs in my field due to the economy.

If you are interested in senior in home care, look up a company called Home Instead and see if there is an office in your area. I finally got a job with them. It’s a little over minimum wage, but you can easily get 40 hours a week. If you are friendly and haven’t murdered anyone, you will most likely get hired on. Good luck! I know how frustrating it is.

kitsunelady
            Participant

That ‘overqualified’ business should have been kicked to the curb when the economy went sour. There are so many people willing to do whatever crappy job they can get, just to have a job, no matter what their prior experience/education, and it does irritate that employers have yet to realize this. I understand their reluctance – we have an employee at my store who does indeed think her job is ‘beneath’ her (she has a computer science degree and was previously a manager of a store in the mall that closed), but at least she does what she’s supposed to to the best of her abilities! And is good at it ( if it weren’t for the occasional attitude problem XD ). Most of the young people who are only working there part-time while going to the local uni have horrible work ethic by comparison. As the inventory control manager, I feel like I spend half my time wiping their bottoms for them (aka cleaning up messes they’ve made of things – whether out of laziness or just a lack of brainpower). It would be less frustrating working for a daycare, because at least there, the people making the mess would have the excuse of their age. The CS major, I don’t have to worry about. If she makes a mistake once, and I say something, she never does it again. I don’t have to ask “Are you working, or are you talking?” with her – she’s ALWAYS doing something. No standing around watching the fanblades spin with that one, heh.

At any rate, keep trying. I *know* there are some places that don’t care about that – like call centers. We have one for a hotel chain and one for a cable company here, and I’ve never heard of them turning someone down because they were ‘overqualified’!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.