Griffies

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Griffies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

Are Windstone griffies egg laying mammals like a platypus or are they more bird/raptor like?

tdm😊

tdm

etruscan
      Participant

Why do you think that they lay eggs?

VS
        Participant

I would imagine griffins are more bird like than mammal like. Could you imagine it trying to suckle on it’s mom with a beak like that? Ouch! But milk is a mammal classification requirement.

etruscan
          Participant

The Windstone logo Snerl is a griffin, his mate is a horse, and their offspring is a hippogriff. I doubt that the mare laid an egg. Perhaps the baby griffin’s beak is soft when first born (or hatched) and doesn’t harden until after it is weaned.

etruscan
            Participant

From Melody’s deviantArt page:
              Someone asked me if Snerl has a family… here’s an old sketch I did of Snerl, our logo griffin and his family; his wife, Shady, the mare, and Cnidle the hippogriff colt.

Windstone_Snerl-family

VS
              Participant

That sounds as good a theory as any? I’d just not worry about this issue simply because they’re magical creatures in a world with its own rules and… well… !MAGIC! Lol.

Melody
                Keymaster

I have no idea… I would think that griffins have live births since the back end is a mammal, then they regurgitate food for the chicks like a raptor… but a hatching griffin chick would be a cute sculpture!
                  Of course, everyone knows pegasuses hatch from eggs! So it can be done.

Bodine
                  Participant

Nature finds a way.heeheehee

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                    (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                    Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

GardenNinja
                    Participant

Well, the Mother Griffin Gargoyle is guarding a nest of eggs. I’ve always assumed that she laid them!

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Setsunawolf
                      Participant

The thought of a hatching griffin chick makes my heart swoon.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                        Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                        Sun Dragon Koi #3

etruscan
                        Participant

Well, the Mother Griffin Gargoyle is guarding a nest of eggs. I’ve always assumed that she laid them!

True … for some reason I think of the gargoyles as being a separate group from other creatures. In other words, gargoyle griffins might lay eggs and other griffins not. However, you’re probably right that they all lay eggs!

twindragonsmum
                          Participant

I like asking “thought provoking” questions for the sheer delight of seeing how folks brains work and how they respond 😁. Sometimes, though, I guess I’m just “provoking”😳🤪. Thanks for the answers; they’re great! And Etruscan gets a prize for answering the question with a question!

tdm😊

tdm

twindragonsmum
                            Participant

I must point out though, that Melody often has some very intriguing insights and answers to my questions. We sure learned a lot about Poads by asking “thought provoking” questions 🥰

tdm😊

tdm

etruscan
                              Participant

I found this when looking for something else in Melody’s Blog. In 2010 she said that griffins lay eggs.

More fun with fantasy animals.
                                In addition to coming up with convincing BS anatomy for them, you also get to invent their whole natural history!
                                I did this drawing of a hatchling griffin about thirty years ago, and started working on the problems about how they have babies. I took the easy way out and assumed that they are hatched from eggs in nests and were fed the way eagles feed their young, but with horse guts instead of ground squirrels . Did you know that griffins eat horses?

Pena_baby-griffin

Ela_Hara
                                Participant

Of course Griffins lay eggs! Remember the Mother Griffin Gargoyle guards a nest of eggs in between her feet.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                                  Zeppard Adult Poads
                                  Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                                  *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.