Eggshell problems…

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Eggshell problems…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Zelda
    Participant

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Zelda
      Participant

Hello! Just this morning I decided to do a little dusting, and ran my Windstones under a quick sprinkle of water to get them clean. I was darn near horrified to find that the eggshell paint on my gargolingus started to blister and flake off! I quickly patted it dry, but as it has dried, more paint has started to peel away from the piece. Help!

Have you ever run across this problem with your other gargolingi or egg pieces, and do you have any repair ideas? Thanks in advance!

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Melody
        Keymaster

Zelda wrote:

Hello! Just this morning I decided to do a little dusting, and ran my Windstones under a quick sprinkle of water to get them clean. I was darn near horrified to find that the eggshell paint on my gargolingus started to blister and flake off! I quickly patted it dry, but as it has dried, more paint has started to peel away from the piece. Help!

Have you ever run across this problem with your other gargolingi or egg pieces, and do you have any repair ideas? Thanks in advance!
          NO! I’ve never had this happen to an indoor piece. From all the tests weve done, the paint is water resistant. The gypsum underneath is suseptable to acids however, such as acid rain, and I suppose acid tap water, but it should not happen that fast! Did you buy this piece new? -or was it “used”?
          I could send you some of the stain we use and some finish, but it may be tricky to repair the damage invisibly. Fortunately he is a gargoyle, and they aren’t too picky about their appearance, being kinda weathered looking anyway.

Zelda
          Participant

Hello, and thanks for the quick reply. There might have been little spaces in the paint where water got underneath, and maybe that’s how it bubbled up. The piece is ‘used’, hehe, as in pre-owned and scheduled for repairs to a number of chips. Strangely enough, none of the other paint weakened, and even the front of the egg (which had a stain and needed to be scrubbed with soap) wasn’t affected, just the top.

Anyway, good to know that the paint is supposed to be water resistant. I suppose something must have been applied to it in the past to make it so weak (glass cleaner? Furniture polish?). I’ll try to inject a little glue under the bubbles to fix them back into place, and a paint touch-ups were in order for the little fella anyway. I’d really appreciate a little bit of that stain, though, and thank you for offering. I’ll send you a PM.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.