Dragon “families”

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Dragon “families”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Lisa
    Participant

Were some of the dragons created purposely as “families”. Most people pair mother dragon and male dragon and I assume baby & young with them, but were they made that way on purpose? I have limited funds so I’m trying to create same color families and maybe have unique colors for the ones that don’t pair with anything. I can’t decide what color bantam I want to quest for, if it belongs with my current grouping (I have peacock mother, male and young ATM), or if baby or fledgling would fit better. I try to go by size or type but if some were specifically created to go together I’d like to stick with that. How do you group your “families”?

Grail: Poad (achievement unlocked!) Am now on the hunt for almost any color scratching dragon

Nightcrow
      Participant

I generally divide the families by physiology (which coincides pretty much with release date): dragons with scaled horns, versus dragons with metal horns. The “original” family of 5 Western dragons I remember seeing in catalogs in the 1990s was just the Mother, Hatchling, Male, Emperor, and Young. They all have pretty similarly intricate, lizard-like scale patterning and sculpted/non-metal horns, so I tend to consider them one “species” of Western dragon, while the metal-horned ones with their larger, more fish-like scales are a different species. 🙂 Spectrals, with their unique eyes, I consider a separate and third species.

Ultimately, though, it’s up to you! I decided early on that I wanted to get every Western dragon in White as part of my collecting goals (minus a couple sculpts that I don’t care for, or just can’t afford like the Secret Keeper), so I could see my favorite color on the widest variety of dragons. Later on, I added a “conga line” of my favorite sculpt, the Lap, to provide the reverse: a wide variety of colors on a single dragon. It’s the closest I can come to having everything! 🙂

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Lisa
        Participant

That makes total sense. Thank you for the input!

Grail: Poad (achievement unlocked!) Am now on the hunt for almost any color scratching dragon

Nightcrow
          Participant

You’re welcome. I hope you can figure out a satisfactory system for your collecting, and share photos on the Forum!

Some of them are definitely created with families in mind, and named accordingly: the “Male, Mother, Young, & Hatchling” dragons, the “Male, Mother, & Baby” Kirins (with standing baby created later), the “Male, Mother, & Baby” Pegasus, the “Male, Mother, Colt, & Baby” Unicorns, etc. are all pretty clearly intended to be a familial grouping. (Though I always wondered why so many are Male+Mother instead of Father+Mother or Female+Male.)

Others are left much more to imagination: what’s the relationship between the Sitting and Rising Spectrals? They could be anything – siblings, mates, enemies, you pick. 🙂 And what relationships connect an Emperor, a Warrior, a Lap, and a Secret Keeper? No idea! Some of them don’t even seem to be in scale with each other (the Hatching Kinglet is *enormous* compared to the Hatching Dragon! It’s hard to imagine they’re supposed to belong to a single family), so you might decide to omit them from your grouping, or to display them in a separate space so the difference is less obvious.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Lisa
            Participant

Yes, the size difference was what led to my initial question, as fledgling seems like it would fit the male, mother, young, baby, hatching group, but it kind of appears to big. (Not positive as I don’t have one, I kind of go by the picture on top of the “all dragons” page). I was curious if anyone had first hand knowledge of the background of why certain pieces were made certain sizes and if maybe Melody had intentions behind some of them. I have a better idea of how I want to go about getting certain pieces now so, thanks again. And I’ll definitely post pics!

pipsxlch
              Participant

Hmm, I wouldn’t include the fledge with the original male-mother-young-v1 hatchling family. He’s a bit out of scale to them, and a bit morphologically different. I would keep the originals as one family. The fledge could perhaps go with the V2 hatchling and lap? It’s still a bit large there, but they look similar. The old warrior is intended to pair with the lap I believe. The hatching royalty could only go with the secret keeper, and even there they’re too huge. And since females are often bigger than males in herps and birds, the emp can be the s.k.’s mate. The spectrals are definitely a different type, in my imagination the other westerns are diurnal while the spectrals are nocturnal. The bantam looks typewise like the spectrals to me, but of course there aren’t any with the spectral eyes.

I don’t know Ms Melody’s intentions if any creating them.

Lisa
                Participant

Nice to have confirmation that the fledge doesn’t really match the “first family” LOL It may take a while for me to save up enough to get some of the larger pieces so I have plenty of time to decide what I want to try for.

Megan
                  Participant

Years ago I started keeping the fledgling with my lap and scratching dragon because they looked nice together (two peacocks and a ruby) and somehow as time went by I started thinking of them as teenage siblings babysitting their kid brother/sister. lol

Lisa
                    Participant

I was just looking at the copper lap and fledge and thinking they looked good together. Maybe the old warrior with them too, like 3 generations. 🙂

Nightcrow
                      Participant

The Lap and Fledgling definitely have a similar look! Leetle pinched-in snoots. 🙂

I have a couple OWs on my Lap shelves, but they look a little out of scale together to me. The OW’s head is so much larger, and differently proportioned, that he makes the Lap look weirdly tiny-headed by comparison, sine their bodies are not all that different in height.

I love the Scratcher and Lap together, though. They could be twins! Or siblings just a year or two apart. <3

Lisa
                        Participant

Hmmm, you’re right, they do match each other better than the OW. 👍

Bodine
                          Participant

I believe the fledgling is of the emperor line.Ms.Melody mentioned that awhile back. Same as the royals,I think.Lap,scratchers,cousins,?🙂

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Nightcrow
                            Participant

Reviving this thread, because I love hearing about how other people group their collections! Also, Pipsxlch has a good point about the Fledgling’s scale. He definitely doesn’t fit with the original Hatcher. I’d agree that he looks better with some of the larger dragons who don’t have a designated ‘baby’ of their own.

I’ve always thought the Fledgling’s name was an ‘oops,’ honestly, because a “fledgling” is a juvenile that’s learning/learned to fly, and the Fledgling Dragon’s definitely built like a baby much younger that that, with a very round chunky body and wings that are *way* too tiny to lift him! I always figured he was supposed to be a “Nestling” (a juvenile that hasn’t left the nest, i.e. hasn’t yet learned to fly) instead. 🙂 (I mean, none of them have wings that would actually support a creature of that size, so YMMV, obviously! But his are tiny even in comparison to the adults’ proportions.)

Lisa
                              Participant

That’s exactly why I was asking! The name invokes a specific member of the flock which never seemed to fit the size of him. I definitely appreciate all the thoughtful responses to this. 🙂

Bodine
                                Participant

Here is the peacock family.I have the browns and need a green young to complete that family.The rest are all kin.😁

20220912_055024

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                                  (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                                  Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.