Deviant Art Contest?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Deviant Art Contest?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Participant

I told my daughter I would post her contest to the forum members here.
      She’s having a contest: http://wafflekitty3888.deviantart.com/journal/38133460/#comments
      Winners will get DA points. 1st place is 1600 points. I think that gets you a sweatshirt or something like that.

She’s hoping to get as many entries as possible so if you have some extra time, she’d really appreciate ANY entries!

Thanks!

Andrea
      Participant

Rusti
        Participant

I’ll have to look a little closer at it when I get home tonight. I might be able to come up with something for her.

Andrea
          Participant

Thanks! She was imagining hundreds of entries… She’s kinda depressed there haven’t been more. Ash is my biggest worry in life. I just want her to be happy and not live feeling so alone.

Rusti
            Participant

I’ll see if I can’t get something done up for her by the 15th. I have a brand new bristol pad that needs broken in anyway.

drag0nfeathers
              Participant

Awe, I could do this.

Geeze… one of the people in the comments apparently doesn’t like furries. πŸ™ Why do we get such a bad rap anyway. I wouldn’t really call myself a full blown furry, but I do have some cosplay related fursuits. *shrug* I get SO MUCH hate mail. It’s ridiculous.

Got a busted Windstone?
                drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                Calypso Hatching Empress
                Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                Tattoo Mother Kirin
                Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Kujacker
                Participant

drag0nfeathers wrote:

Why do we get such a bad rap anyway.

One word. Yiff.

I’m not a furry at all, never have been. But I do post art on da and fa.
                  The sad truth is that we would like to think that those yiff/(this word has a filter, but you get the idea) artists are the smaller percent, in reality they are the larger percent.
                  I’m thankful da doesn’t allow that crap, and fa highlights it in red so I can pass those pictures by.

Rusti
                  Participant

I honestly don’t think it would be too bad if the art that Those Artists crank out wasn’t hypertrophied, freakish, fetishist nonsense. Or worse. With those artists, it’s never just normal…er…piano playing.

Or something.

twindragonsmum
                    Participant

Ummm ????????? I don’t understand….

tdm

tdm

Rusti
                      Participant

twindragonsmum wrote:

Ummm ????????? I don’t understand….

tdm

Sent you a PM, TDM.

Andrea
                        Participant

LOL. Can you fill me in as well????

She would really appreciate anything you all can come up with!
                          Thanks for considering!

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

Okay! Three things. πŸ™‚

1. Phoenix: Please make sure your daughter doesn’t feel bad. She is getting a huge response so far– no really, it’s a really good response. These types of contests generally only appeal to hobbyist artists (I can explain why if you’d like!), and there is no reason she should feel bad about the turnout she’s getting. Really! πŸ™‚

2. There are weird people into things that are disturbing to others in all walks of life. There are people that are into strange, unmentionable stuff in every corner. No, really; anything you can name is out there (and worse) and it is not limited to one group or fandom. Anime, sci-fi, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Pokemon, Furry, TV sitcoms, Mythbusters– seriously! People can be weird about anything out there. Just use caution when exploring different corners of the internet and if you don’t care for it, turn away. I think some groups get a worse rep than others merely because they are visual about it whereas others tend to dwell more in the lands of fanfiction and private chats and such. Sites such as DA and FA have a mature filter for a reason; I employ mine to great effect and never see the stuff I don’t want to.
                            It’s a far worse crime to lump everyone together than to deal with people for what they are– individuals. πŸ™‚

3. Remember this is a family forum, and remember what this topic is about. In this case, please do stay on topic. For Phoenix’s daughter’s sake!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                            My art: featherdust.com

Andrea
                            Participant

Very creepy indeed..

Thanks Jennifer! I’m afraid she’ll never really be happy with anything she does. I’ve tried so hard to turn her attitude around and not worry so much. Some of her posts and pictures worry me a great deal.
                              The bloody cats I found out are from Warrior books she loves to read or from the zombie movies she likes. She’s just such an emotional girl, it makes me so sad to see her be lonely.
                              This picture really got to me. Not sure where the lyrics are from, but the bleeding heart makes me sad for her!

I’ve talked to a counselor about her but all I get is hormonal teen (she’s only 11)

Jennifer
                              Keymaster

Phoenix,

Oh no! I see. I will make a confession. I am 29 but I remember my teen years very clearly and remember what I went though. Though everyone is different, I can empathize with your daughter very much. I used to feel very alone and also drew very emotionally provocative artworks as a way to ‘vent’ or release my feelings. Many of the same things, with characters that were wounded or obviously very sad/depressed. Often alongside lyrics that I found myself being emotionally tied to. School can be a cruel place for teens, especially if you feel as if you don’t fit in or are an outcast (the irony being that later on, we find out that most of our classmates also felt that they were outcasts too, even if we viewed them as not being so!). It’s very easy to feel lonely and as if no one understands. Funny enough, my loneliness started easing, as did my depression, when I first got on the internet at age 15. I suddenly found people that I could fit in with and that listened to me. I had friends! It helped a lot.

The internet is a different place now, where there are just as many people ready to ‘troll’ you as there are friendly types. It’s very easy for kids to bully each other online– even easier than doing it in person, and it’s become a very real problem. It’s important that youths like your daughter understand that internet popularity is the same as ‘in person’ popularity; it’s superficial and even popular people online can feel lonely if none of their fans are actually friends. Encourage the idea that one good friendship is worth more than gold, and certainly worth more than popularity! This was a lesson I wished I had learned earlier in life.

It is very much okay for you to be worried. Just look for signs in her behavior that might indicate a more serious problem. If you can, read up on the signs of long-term depression so that you can recognize if she is experiencing enough distress to cause herself harm. Don’t be afraid to talk to her, but realize that if she is anything like most teens she will probably be embarrassed and not want to talk about such things (I was this way). Be supportive; you are already more supportive than many moms (no offense to them) by supporting her in thing such as this! If you ever want to chat you are welcome to email me. πŸ™‚

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                                My art: featherdust.com

Andrea
                                Participant

Yep. I worry so much because she is exactly like I was growing up. The only reason that I’m still here is that someone told my people who commit suicide go to Hell…
                                  I thought I was like that because of how I grew up.
                                  Ash has what is pretty close to the perfect home life. Yes, she has to be responsible for her homework and she’s not allowed to do/get what ever she wants. But her parents are alive and love each other and are in the same house. She’s not abused or tormented. She’s prettier then average with giant green eyes. But she’s just one of those kids that don’t don’t socialize well.

Anyhow, thanks for the thoughts!
                                  I know what you’re saying about professional artists, but it would be cool if you’d enter!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.