1996 Peña COPPER PATINA Hyena Gargoyle on ebay?

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone 1996 Peña COPPER PATINA Hyena Gargoyle on ebay?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Xjguy
    Participant

Does anyone know anything about the 1996 copper patina hyena gargoyle listed on Ebay right now???

^^^

etruscan
      Participant

They do exist. The store page, which is under is under “Postponed Production, links to a batch that was added to the store in 2016:

Hyena Gargoyle – Copper Patina

Since the gargoyle on ebay has a tag, I would say that it was sold before 2016. However, it might be from an earlier batch.

You can always email Susie (the Wndstone Customer Service guru) and ask. Her email is susie@windstoneeditions.com

Xjguy
        Participant

Yes I seen this on the site already but at the bottom it says ” This is a cast gypsum reproduction of original” so the one on Ebay is stamped Peña 1996 wouldn’t that make it significantly more valuable? Jw because I see these Are $94 and the one on ebay starting bid is $500

^^^

merrillannwhite
          Participant

Melody makes the original sculpture, they make a mold of it and all the ones for sale are cast in gypsum from it. Then they are hand painted and airbrushed. The 1996 on the sculpt is the year Melody made and copywrited it. All castings will have the same stamp. The copper patina finish would be worth more than the stone one because less were made. Whether it is worth that much more is up to the folks bidding on it. Usually though, pieces in that size range don’t go that high unless they are test paints or retired and really rare. This piece is postponed production, so they could possibly make more in the future.

Nightcrow
            Participant

Yes I seen this on the site already but at the bottom it says ” This is a cast gypsum reproduction of original” so the one on Ebay is stamped Peña 1996 wouldn’t that make it significantly more valuable? Jw because I see these Are $94 and the one on ebay starting bid is $500

The date is carved into the original sculpture just like the eye sockets, texture, etc., and it’s then used to make a mold. That means the date becomes part of the mold just like every other part of the gargoyle; every single gargoyle ever sold will say “1996,” the same way every one will have its feet in the same position, the same shaped beak, etc. The original sculpture lives somewhere at Windstone’s factory (or sometimes in Melody’s house!), and all Windstone figures are copies of that original. You’ll see the ‘reproduction of an original sculpture by Melody Pena’ text on every item’s page, because that’s how they’re all made.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Xjguy
              Participant

Thank you for all the answers everyone apologies for my confusion. You would think windstone would leave the signature on the bust but put the actual date created and numbered. I found alot of information thanks to the windstone GURU Susie. It’s crazy to know only 5 copper patina hyena gargoyles exists today in the world in 2016 and none others have been created since then. But to this day the website still has it up that they could or could not make more in the future. If only 5 have been made In 2016 and it’s 2022 that has to be a big waiting list. Thank you everyone for the answers.

^^^

Kujacker
                Participant

Plenty of us forum members have one of a kind pieces. Only one ever made. A lot of ebay items also have several made (in example, 5 of the same item painted the same way). Those are (generally, not always) signed and numbered. There really is no reason to number every single item that leaves the store.

When it comes to copper patina, that coloration was made to salvage “bad” or “flawed” castings. If only five have currently been made, that likely means there haven’t been any flawed castings since. Personally I don’t know how these gargoyles were sold (ebay or the store), so I can’t really say anything for sure.

Windstone keeps the disclaimer up that they could at any time paint a piece in a previous color… that way they aren’t “trapped” into discontinuing something they want to paint again. That has, indeed, happened before.

Susie
                  Keymaster

Just to add to the information: When a piece is “signed and numbered” this is done on the felt pad on the bottom of it.

Nightcrow
                    Participant

Thank you for all the answers everyone apologies for my confusion. You would think windstone would leave the signature on the bust but put the actual date created and numbered. I found alot of information thanks to the windstone GURU Susie. It’s crazy to know only 5 copper patina hyena gargoyles exists today in the world in 2016 and none others have been created since then. But to this day the website still has it up that they could or could not make more in the future. If only 5 have been made In 2016 and it’s 2022 that has to be a big waiting list. Thank you everyone for the answers.

Susie is awesome! 🙂

And as she notes below, many one-of-a-kind or very limited pieces are numbered, but this is done by hand on the underside of the piece – it would be insanely time-consuming and complicated to create a new mold for every production run!

The Copper Patina color is pretty in itself, but knowing its extra history (as a means of saving things that came out of the mold with flaws) makes it extra cool to me; I love that it isn’t only pretty, but also has a purpose, Maybe one day there will be more Copper Patina gargoyles!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.